All Things Justin Cobbs Thread

GoldenHerbs

Reaction score
Saw this link on twitter: http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebask...7950/cals-justin-cobbs-makes-immediate-impact

The Big Three of Allen Crabbe, Jorge Gutierrez and Harper Kamp kicked off Cal's schedule with an exhibition win against UC San Diego on Wednesday, and surprisingly, it wasn't any of them who led the team in scoring.

That honor went to Minnesota transfer Justin Cobbs, the sophomore point guard who came off the bench to score 17 points and dish out four assists without committing a turnover in 25 minutes. As freshman Golden Gopher, Cobbs averaged 2.1 points. In this game, he played more minutes than starter Brandon Smith, meaning he at the very least will provide some good depth in the backcourt.

"Justin had a really good game, and he deserved to be on the floor," Cal coach Mike Montgomery told reporters. "It’s a just a matter of finding people that are producing."

Last week at Pac-12 media day, Montgomery described Cobbs as a strong and explosive player who needed to play more consistently without losing focus so he could limit his mistakes. His strength is his versatility to play either guard position, and Cobbs told reporters after the game he could see himself playing point guard and shooting guard.

"Sometimes, Allen is getting it going or Jorge is playing well and I might have to play the one," Cobbs said. "Other times, Brandon might be playing well and I have to move to the two or either or. I'm just out there trying to contribute in any way possible. I feel like I'm more comfortable at the one, but any way possible to contribute."

So on a Cal team that doesn't lack for experience, depth is developing in the year after a short-handed team managed to at least make a postseason tournament. Expectations are high for a team that is now ranked in both polls, and it's Cobbs who might give the Bears another dimension.

Would be great if we still had him. I always thought he could be good.

Would be great if we still had him. I always thought he could be good.

Agreed. "Some on the board" were way too quick to "good riddance" him. Obviously he's continued to develop in his transfer year. And the way Eliason looked the other night, I'm about ready to go abduct Colton and drive him back here. Heaven help us if Mo is slowed by his injury this year.

I agree it is somewhat disappointing that Cobbs is not here, as I thought he had potential, but it is realistic to assume that if we still had Cobbs, we would not have gotten Dre Hollins. Based on the admittedly limited sample size so far on Hollins, I would take him over Cobbs any day.

People, again, this was only one game. The problem with Cobbs is that he thinks he is better than anybody on the court. Even his new coach talked about his mistakes.

Go Gophers

To me, it is more about fit and match. Cobbs might not have been a good fit with Tubby. Of course, considering how the last season went down, Cobbs would have been good for us ex post facto. Nevertheless, his departure probably was good for everyone.

wow, tubby's gotta work on judging talent. Granted, this is only one game, but kid showed a lot of potential when he got in at Minnesota. Best of luck to him.

wow, tubby's gotta work on judging talent. Granted, this is only one game, but kid showed a lot of potential when he got in at Minnesota. Best of luck to him.
Tubby didn't cut him or anything. He transferred because he was homesick.

I love how some on here pretend to know why kids transferred. Cobbs did not see eye to eye with Tubby. Did not like the offense.

Do players transfer for being "homesick" if they are getting minutes? I know it was something about a sick family member, but if a coach understands how good a player is, they should be able to do a better job at keeping the kid on the team.

I love how some on here pretend to know why kids transferred. Cobbs did not see eye to eye with Tubby. Did not like the offense.
I love how some on here pretend to know why kids transferred.
But seriously I had heard that he didn't like the offense, but I also read that he said he was homesick in Minnesota, so that is the reason I give when people ask why he transferred.
I think the player with the sick family member you are thinking of Sampsonite is Paul Carter. I'm not sure about Cobbs.

A different kind of Justin Cobbs sighting that I don't remember seeing mention of on Gopher Hole:

He is mentioned a couple times in George Dohrmann's (he of the Ganglegate exposé) terrific book Play Their Hearts Out. The book is mostly about Joe Keller, an ambitious "It's all about me" AAU coach in Southern California who takes his recruiting down to a new low (younger) level. He rides the hype of Demetrius Walker (first committed verbally to Southern Cal, then spent a year at Arizona State, and now will play for Steve Alford at New Mexico State this year), at one point promoted as the best 10- and then 12-year-old in the country. Cobbs was on the periphery of Keller's world and played a few games for him in a national tourney.

To me, it is more about fit and match. Cobbs might not have been a good fit with Tubby. Of course, considering how the last season went down, Cobbs would have been good for us ex post facto. Nevertheless, his departure probably was good for everyone.

I wasn't too broken up about Cobbs leaving as I thought he looked about as lost on the court, his freshman year, as a player could. With that written...I wish he didn't leave as he would have easily started last year after Al went down and he would be getting minutes this year. That says more about the sorry state of affairs last year than Cobb's talent.

tikited said:
I wasn't too broken up about Cobbs leaving as I thought he looked about as lost on the court, his freshman year, as a player could. With that written...I wish he didn't leave as he would have easily started last year after Al went down and he would be getting minutes this year. That says more about the sorry state of affairs last year than Cobb's talent.

IMO Cobbs isn't better than Andre.

I think the player with the sick family member you are thinking of Sampsonite is Paul Carter. I'm not sure about Cobbs.

Yeah, that's who I was thinking of.
Good to hear that Cobbs is doing well in a different situation. We definitely missed him last year.

Do players transfer for being "homesick" if they are getting minutes? I know it was something about a sick family member, but if a coach understands how good a player is, they should be able to do a better job at keeping the kid on the team.

Trying to keep a guy on the team who doesn't want to be there is not a good thing. Keeping someone around that is miserable isn't what you want.

Justin Cobbs 1st Half Stats

15 Mins 10 pts 4 assists off the bench. 2-2 for 3pt fgs.

Cal up 49-23 now over George Washington

By 2nd semester there could be a bunch of ex Gophers playing around the country.

I just checked Bryant Allen is on the team at Illinois State - eligible for 2nd semester.

I think Devoe is eligible sometime in December.

White had a pretty good beginning with Iowa State.

We'll have to wait til next year for Colton Iverson.

Like we did with the Royce White updates, we are going to create one thread for updates, stats and analysis about Cobbs.

15 Mins 10 pts 4 assists off the bench. 2-2 for 3pt fgs.

Cal up 49-23 now over George Washington

By 2nd semester there could be a bunch of ex Gophers playing around the country.

I just checked Bryant Allen is on the team at Illinois State - eligible for 2nd semester.

I think Devoe is eligible sometime in December.

White had a pretty good beginning with Iowa State.

We'll have to wait til next year for Colton Iverson.

So is this a thread to remind us that with White, Joseph, and Cobbs this team would be contending for the B1G title.

From Yahoo Sports by Rivals.com about Sunday nights game Justin Cobbs delivered just what California coach Mike Montgomery wanted in his second game with his new team.

Cobbs scored eight of his 16 points during a 21-0 run to end the first half and No. 24 California beat George Washington 81-54 Sunday night in the first round of the CBE Classic.

Cobbs, a transfer from Minnesota, gives Montgomery the depth he knows he will need if the Golden Bears (2-0) are going to be successful this season
That’s kind of what we expect from Justin,” Montgomery said. “We think he’s capable of doing that. His focus was really good. He came in and made a difference. That’s really why we like him. We like him off the bench because he changes things. If we’re not doing things or having problems, he has the ability to change things.

So is this a thread to remind us that with White, Joseph, and Cobbs this team would be contending for the B1G title.
We aren't the only school with "whatifs"
Former Marquette Players/Signees Updates And Season Openers
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
- Scott Christopherson started and had 13 points in Iowa State's win over Lehigh.

- Trevor Mbakwe started and had a double-double of 17 points and 10 rebounds in Minnesota's win over Bucknell.

- Tyshawn Taylor started and scored 12 points and dished out 4 assists in a Kansas win over Towson State.

- Nick Williams started and scored 13 points in an Ole Miss win over Louisiana-Monroe.

- Jeronne Maymon started and scored 15 points as Tennessee beat the University of North Carolina-Greensboro.

- Liam McMorrow started and had 1 point and 5 rebounds in a Tennessee Tech loss to Miami (FL).

- Youssoupha Mbao played 7 minutes in Marshall's win over Alabama State.

- Reggie Smith will be eligible to play the second semester at UNLV.

- Erik Williams is sitting out this season at Sam Houston State.

- D.J. Newbill is sitting this season out at Penn State after transferring from Southern Mississippi.

- Brett Roseboro is sitting out at Maryland Baltimore-County after transferring from St. Bonaventure.

Not necessarily. I tend to follow former Gophers a little bit no matter what their reason(s) for leaving. Here is the starting former Gopher Lineup for 2012 - I forgot to mention one above Dominique Dawson.

g Justin Cobbs - Cal
g Devoe Joesph - Oregon (eligible in mid-December - I think)
g Bryant Allen - Illinois State (eligible 2nd semester)
f Royce White - Ia St
c Dominique Dawson - Kentucky Wesleyan

(I know Ky Wesleyan is Div II - but Dawson is starting center and they played both South Carolina and Pitt close in exhibitions - Dawson 10pts vs South Carolina)

Coached by Dan Monson (LBSU) and Asst Coach Jim Molinari (WIU)

We aren't the only school with "whatifs"
Former Marquette Players/Signees Updates And Season Openers
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
- Scott Christopherson started and had 13 points in Iowa State's win over Lehigh.

- Trevor Mbakwe started and had a double-double of 17 points and 10 rebounds in Minnesota's win over Bucknell.

- Tyshawn Taylor started and scored 12 points and dished out 4 assists in a Kansas win over Towson State.

- Nick Williams started and scored 13 points in an Ole Miss win over Louisiana-Monroe.

- Jeronne Maymon started and scored 15 points as Tennessee beat the University of North Carolina-Greensboro.

- Liam McMorrow started and had 1 point and 5 rebounds in a Tennessee Tech loss to Miami (FL).

- Youssoupha Mbao played 7 minutes in Marshall's win over Alabama State.

- Reggie Smith will be eligible to play the second semester at UNLV.

- Erik Williams is sitting out this season at Sam Houston State.

- D.J. Newbill is sitting this season out at Penn State after transferring from Southern Mississippi.

- Brett Roseboro is sitting out at Maryland Baltimore-County after transferring from St. Bonaventure.

The only school that comes close to losing the number of quality, probably would be starters is Michigan State. It is the single most important reason Tubby's program appears to be floundering going into his 5th year.

Not necessarily. I tend to follow former Gophers a little bit no matter what their reason(s) for leaving. Here is the starting former Gopher Lineup for 2012 - I forgot to mention one above Dominique Dawson.

g Justin Cobbs - Cal
g Devoe Joesph - Oregon (eligible in mid-December - I think)
g Bryant Allen - Illinois State (eligible 2nd semester)
f Royce White - Ia St
c Dominique Dawson - Kentucky Wesleyan

(I know Ky Wesleyan is Div II - but Dawson is starting center and they played both South Carolina and Pitt close in exhibitions - Dawson 10pts vs South Carolina)

Coached by Dan Monson (LBSU) and Asst Coach Jim Molinari (WIU)

How would you start Dawson over Iverson?

The only school that comes close to losing the number of quality, probably would be starters is Michigan State. It is the single most important reason Tubby's program appears to be floundering going into his 5th year.

Stop being so negative. People on here (including me) don't appreciate comments like that, and neither do the moderators. Minnesota basketball is doing just fine. Beating Bucknell was a great way to start the season. Enjoy the victory instead of lamenting on Tubby's marginal recruiting. Dre Hollins and Joe Coleman will compete for all-conference honors someday, just watch.

Top Bottom