All Things Isaac Asuma Recruitment Thread (Class of 2024, Minnesota's Top In-State Target)

One of my friends moved to live with a family in Eveleth to play hockey. Eveleth was terrible, but he ended his career as the Iron Range Conference goalie of the year and got a full ride scholarship to play at Alaska Fairbanks. Another friend switched residency to play at International Falls. He ended up playing at UMD. So, yes, there were creative ways of "building" a team. Doug Woog drew kids from the area to play at South St Paul in the 70s.
Would his last name happened to be Carr?

Dirtiest goalie I ever played against!!!! Took out our best player (played D1 out east) one time for 4 games with a chop across the ankle. Took me out in the first 2 minutes of a game, never to return, with a spear to the nut sack. Then got me again late in the same year which ended up costing me 10 minutes in the box. And he did things like this to other teams in the conference.

At some point the AAU coaches in the state need to get their top players here after their dumpster fire coach they wanted was given this job.

Dirtiest goalie I ever played against!!!! Took out our best player (played D1 out east) one time for 4 games with a chop across the ankle. Took me out in the first 2 minutes of a game, never to return, with a spear to the nut sack. Then got me again late in the same year which ended up costing me 10 minutes in the box. And he did things like this to other teams in the conference.
Stay out of the crease!

I don't doubt you, however. I ended up seeing him about 10 years back. He had recently had a conversion of faith and noted that he had been a jerk as a kid. I didn't disagree. 😏

Not to burden the kid, but a guy like this making a commitment can be the foundation of a rebuild. An ability to see beyond the crap, want to be part of something from the ground up, and taking a big risk when he has other options really says something. Programs don't rebuild with five stars, they rebuild with lower level capable competitors who are confident risk takers. I hope he commits here and sends a message.

Not to burden the kid, but a guy like this making a commitment can be the foundation of a rebuild. An ability to see beyond the crap, want to be part of something from the ground up, and taking a big risk when he has other options really says something. Programs don't rebuild with five stars, they rebuild with lower level capable competitors who are confident risk takers. I hope he commits here and sends a message.
It would certainly good news. But it's also a long time until signing day in November. And even then...

I agree! To win you need great players and to get great players you need to win. If Johnson gets the guys that want to be Gophers and whom he has a strong relationship, we will be fine.

I agree! To win you need great players and to get great players you need to win. If Johnson gets the guys that want to be Gophers and whom he has a strong relationship, we will be fine.
I’m not as confident in us being fine after what I saw on the floor this year. I’m grateful for a guy willing to take the risk but the staff needs to make the risk worth it.

At some point the AAU coaches in the state need to get their top players here after their dumpster fire coach they wanted was given this job.
How it our coach's fault that all the best players are paid big $ to play elsewhere?

How it our coach's fault that all the best players are paid big $ to play elsewhere?

They aren’t. Sure—some do get paid. But you think every good player is leaving their programs to go to a better program for more money? No. The problem is that guys leave lower tier programs—mid majors, low majors, D2, Minnesota—to go to better programs. But you know this.

You just couldn’t stay away. Invest your time elsewhere since you’re done with college hoops. I doubt your family enjoys your company but maybe a stray cat or something?

Asuma is a lock to commit here Thursday. I wonder who else in the 2024 class we can get. There isn’t much else from MN in that class.

That’s an idiotic statement. The coaches and the University can not be promising NIL money.
LOL. What's an idiotic statement? A statement that I never made? LOL.

It's his job to put together a team under the current rules. There is a flight risk with some of them and the coach should factor that into his recruiting strategy. Ultimately, he will and should be judged by how good his team is.

If he is coaching one of the worst teams in the country, in the NIL era, in the portal era, and he is banking is roster on a top 20 recruit from California, we can all assume there is risk in that strategy. Hell, most of us wondered if Evans would ever end up a Gopher.

I’m pretty sure I’m the only 5’11” player in state tournament program history to be listed as G/F/C.
Well, when you're that talented...............

Top Bottom