All Things Isaac Asuma Recruitment Thread (Class of 2024, Minnesota's Top In-State Target)

Since it seems like most our complaints on this site center around our current point guards' defensive shortcomings, I'm thinking we would be more concerned about Asuma's defensive ability and potential as opposed to what his HS scoring/assist averages are.

Since I don't think the AAU/shoe summer leagues concentrate much on defense, I'm not sure film would show much in regards to his ability to learn rotations, angles, help defense rules, all of which are just as important at the college level as the basic "staying in front of your guy" talent is. The former can be taught, though it helps to have those instincts. But have we seen anything indicating that he is able or inclined to hang with quick, talented guards out near the perimeter?
If he’s reachable and teachable then he’d be an improvement.

He sounds the guy you’d want your daughter to date - great student and leader.

Anyone know where they play their home games? I’m in Hibbing for a couple of nights for work, and I think it’s only about 10 miles from here, and they have a home game tonight.

Bummer is I only have business suits, so I didn’t bring any Gopher gear to rep.

Anyone know where they play their home games? I’m in Hibbing for a couple of nights for work, and I think it’s only about 10 miles from here, and they have a home game tonight.

Like most high schools they play their home games...at the school.

• Cherry High School
  • 3943 Tamminen Road
  • Iron Junction, MN 55751

Just go east on Hwy 37, past the airport for 10 or 20 miles. The school will be on your left.
Use Google maps and type in...Cherry School.

Cherry School
(218) 749-4614

Asuma is long and athletic. He can guard quick guards
I agree, I wouldn't have concerns with his defensive ability. I really like his game but I am not sure he is going to beat a lot of Big 10 guards off the dribble. I'd love for him to play alongside another quick guard. If we add Asuma, we'll have a lot of long athletic guards (which is great), but I'd really love to add someone who is really quick with the ball in their hand.

Watching clips of Asuma, he reminds me a lot in style of Marcus Carr. Very good handle, creative finisher and plays mostly below the rim. Looks quick enough. I'd take him.
I agree with your assessment but in the clips I've seen (I know, it's limited), I think he will be a bit more athletic and long than Carr but not as good of a ball handler.

He reminds me of a smaller Malcolm Brogdon type.

I agree with your assessment but in the clips I've seen (I know, it's limited), I think he will be a bit more athletic and long than Carr but not as good of a ball handler.

He reminds me of a smaller Malcolm Brogdon type.
Carr had his shortcomings but his ability to dribble in a crowd was amazing. I have rarely seen anyone that tough with the ball in his hands. If Carr wasn't vertically challenged and were he a hair quicker (I don't think I ever saw him dunk it).........

I agree, I wouldn't have concerns with his defensive ability. I really like his game but I am not sure he is going to beat a lot of Big 10 guards off the dribble. I'd love for him to play alongside another quick guard. If we add Asuma, we'll have a lot of long athletic guards (which is great), but I'd really love to add someone who is really quick with the ball in their hand.
Spot on and totally agree with you. A quick guard should be number 1 priority in the portal imo.

I’m not much on evaluating him on his HS games. His AAU performance is what tells us something. I think there is a likelihood that Asuma and Christie would be a great B1G guard combo. Add Evans and a bevy of developing forwards and we have a very competitive team.
I totally agree on the AAU being a better barometer against better competition. Asuma is 6-3, so I'd prefer another quick player under 6-6, next to him and Christie on the wing. I prefer quickness to height. Christie needs to put on weight either way.

This is all semantics if Ihnen returns and plays the 2!?! Lol

I see a bit of Devoe Joseph who was a 6-3 combo guard who could score, but wasn't lightning quick, in Asuma's game. He was good with change of pace driving to create his shot but nut necessarily good at setting others up.

I totally agree on the AAU being a better barometer against better competition. Asuma is 6-3, so I'd prefer another quick player under 6-6, next to him and Christie on the wing. I prefer quickness to height. Christie needs to put on weight either way.

This is all semantics if Ihnen returns and plays the 2!?! Lol
Good post. With todays surgeries and rehab quickness recovery is mental. If Ihnen has his quickness back with his wing span he would be a game changer for us at the 2. A lot of ifs.

Good post. With todays surgeries and rehab quickness recovery is mental. If Ihnen has his quickness back with his wing span he would be a game changer for us at the 2. A lot of ifs.

Ihnen isn’t good at basketball. And quickness recovery is mental? The hell is this post

1. Adjust your sarcasmeter.

2. Where'd the Asuma recruitment thread go?

Defense is easily learned, but requires willpower.

Hmm. I know a few coaches out here in the west, who have great defensive reputations who would certainly agree with the second half of your statement, but not so much the "easily learned" part of it. One in particular who has mentioned that it generally a full season or so before he feels they are really understanding everything involved in consistently playing great defense and being able to instinctively incorporate it. He has told me a fair number of times "All these guys can score, but it's a pretty big learning curve for most of them to get to where I want and need them defensively".

I guess it all depends on what one considers acceptable defensive ability and knowledge.
He's a pretty good recruiter if "all these guys can score".

Just got back from his game, and I think he’s going to be a very, very good player. I don’t think he’s a lock-down defender, but he is a willing defender. Game comes very easy to him, and always has his eyes up looking for options. Great looking shot.

His brother Noah, plays a patient and mature game and it really surprises me that he’s only a freshman. Did not see him act anxious or in a hurry once. Appears to be thicker than Isaac, and looks like he has some growing to do.

One guy that kind of popped to me was sophomore Noah Sundquist from Cherry. Already a 1,000 point scorer with a very live body. Elevates very quickly and has some nice instincts for bocks and rebounds. Nice looking stroke from 3 as well.

Just got back from his game, and I think he’s going to be a very, very good player. I don’t think he’s a lock-down defender, but he is a willing defender. Game comes very easy to him, and always has his eyes up looking for options. Great looking shot.

His brother Noah, plays a patient and mature game and it really surprises me that he’s only a freshman. Did not see him act anxious or in a hurry once. Appears to be thicker than Isaac, and looks like he has some growing to do.

One guy that kind of popped to me was sophomore Noah Sundquist from Cherry. Already a 1,000 point scorer with a very live body. Elevates very quickly and has some nice instincts for bocks and rebounds. Nice looking stroke from 3 as well.
Thanks for the report.
How was the crowd?
Did they win?

Thanks for the report. Are the Gophers in on the younger brother yet?

Sundquist is a transfer from Chisholm trying to gain exposure by playing with the Asuma brothers.

I see a bit of Devoe Joseph who was a 6-3 combo guard who could score, but wasn't lightning quick, in Asuma's game. He was good with change of pace driving to create his shot but nut necessarily good at setting others up.
Yeah, that's a great comparison.

I actually think I read Cherry got 2 or 3 transfers this year. To an already stacked small school squad. Sad, really.
They got a Hibbing kid too. Cherry has been awful for years. No different than a private single A school. Also not new

Top Bottom