All Things Isaac Asuma Recruitment Thread (Class of 2024, Minnesota's Top In-State Target)

If he’s taking his official visit now as a Junior he must be close to a decision, otherwise why would we want him visiting in the middle of February. Or can they take another official visit for a football game in fall?

If he’s taking his official visit now as a Junior he must be close to a decision, otherwise why would we want him visiting in the middle of February. Or can they take another official visit for a football game in fall?
When else would he take it? You get 5 for each year. That being said I think he commits soon

I wouldn’t call him blah. He’s not a guy who’s going to come in and dominate though. He does have the ability to be a Chucky Hepburn type guard.

Hepburn shoots under 40% overall and averages 3rpg and 2.8apg. He shoots it well from 3. 12.5ppg is nice. But in 32.5mpg.

Just based on stats—Hepburn is kinda blah.

Hepburn shoots under 40% overall and averages 3rpg and 2.8apg. He shoots it well from 3. 12.5ppg is nice. But in 32.5mpg.

He’s also a very good defender and leads the offense well. I don’t see being an average to above average B1G PG as being blah. That’s a really nice player and piece and most recruits won’t equal that level.

He’s also a very good defender and leads the offense well. I don’t see being an average to above average B1G PG as being blah. That’s a really nice player and piece and most recruits won’t equal that level.

Hepburn doesn’t lead the offense and if he does he isn’t good at it. He takes 4x as many shots as he averages assists. That isn’t what the Gophers need. Asuma is a very good high school defender against low competition. We’ll see what translates.

I think he’d be a nice commit and would be an eventual starter. Maybe sooner than later because of the lack of internal competition currently on the roster. I’m not sure what other realistic PG type recruits are in the pipeline.

Hepburn doesn’t lead the offense and if he does he isn’t good at it. He takes 4x as many shots as he averages assists. That isn’t what the Gophers need. Asuma is a very good high school defender against low competition. We’ll see what translates.
In general Wisconsin PGs don’t have a ton of assists. They start the offense and get the ball moving and are expected to hit some open 3s. We need a PG who gets the offense going sooner and can defend. Chucky does that and so can Asuma. Asuma has tools to be a good defender but will need to grow of course. You’re generous calling him good right now. I’d say he’s average.
I think he’d be a nice commit and would be an eventual starter. Maybe sooner than later because of the lack of internal competition currently on the roster. I’m not sure what other realistic PG type recruits are in the pipeline.
Agreed eventual starter. Never a star but a good 3rd-5th starter which is still a good recruit and career

I’m not much on evaluating him on his HS games. His AAU performance is what tells us something. I think there is a likelihood that Asuma and Christie would be a great B1G guard combo. Add Evans and a bevy of developing forwards and we have a very competitive team.

I’m not much on evaluating him on his HS games. His AAU performance is what tells us something. I think there is a likelihood that Asuma and Christie would be a great B1G guard combo. Add Evans and a bevy of developing forwards and we have a very competitive team.
I sure hope so.

I agree with you. When watching Badger games, I’m not sure most teams should strive for replacing Hepburn (he is blah). It’s almost striving to replace mediocrity.

What this team needs, but will never get is a TJ Ford

I agree with you. When watching Badger games, I’m not sure most teams should strive for replacing Hepburn (he is blah). It’s almost striving to replace mediocrity.

What this team needs, but will never get is a TJ Ford

Hepburn is fine. Wouldn’t be upset to have him. But doesn’t move the needle a ton.

What about TJ Ford Jr? He’s available.

Watching clips of Asuma, he reminds me a lot in style of Marcus Carr. Very good handle, creative finisher and plays mostly below the rim. Looks quick enough. I'd take him.
Rock -
Have u see him in person or his AAU games on tape?
Regardless, what stood out to you?

Rock -
Have u see him in person or his AAU games on tape?
Regardless, what stood out to you?
his finishing is what has always stood out to me (I have only watched him 4-5 games live)
he has his way with most teams that his HS plays as they are just so much better than the others. but you can tell when he plays better competition as he cant just get to the rim at will. his athleticism and quickness arent elite by any means but he has enough to hold his own.

Would be a solid get! And a player BJ needs to get

his finishing is what has always stood out to me (I have only watched him 4-5 games live)
he has his way with most teams that his HS plays as they are just so much better than the others. but you can tell when he plays better competition as he cant just get to the rim at will. his athleticism and quickness arent elite by any means but he has enough to hold his own.

Would be a solid get! And a player BJ needs to get
Thanks

Since it seems like most our complaints on this site center around our current point guards' defensive shortcomings, I'm thinking we would be more concerned about Asuma's defensive ability and potential as opposed to what his HS scoring/assist averages are.

Since I don't think the AAU/shoe summer leagues concentrate much on defense, I'm not sure film would show much in regards to his ability to learn rotations, angles, help defense rules, all of which are just as important at the college level as the basic "staying in front of your guy" talent is. The former can be taught, though it helps to have those instincts. But have we seen anything indicating that he is able or inclined to hang with quick, talented guards out near the perimeter?

Their offense is terrible.

Hepburn is fine. Wouldn’t be upset to have him. But doesn’t move the needle a ton.

What’s the worst that can happen? To be that small you have to be a few things: lightning quick, great ball handler, knock down shooter.

Gophers need all three. And if teams post him up or he has defensive limitations, we have wingspan next year patrolling the skies.

Since it seems like most our complaints on this site center around our current point guards' defensive shortcomings, I'm thinking we would be more concerned about Asuma's defensive ability and potential as opposed to what his HS scoring/assist averages are.

Since I don't think the AAU/shoe summer leagues concentrate much on defense, I'm not sure film would show much in regards to his ability to learn rotations, angles, help defense rules, all of which are just as important at the college level as the basic "staying in front of your guy" talent is. The former can be taught, though it helps to have those instincts. But have we seen anything indicating that he is able or inclined to hang with quick, talented guards out near the perimeter?
Defense is easily learned, but requires willpower. I don't worry about this as Asuma can pick that up. But, it is much harder to try teach fundamental ball handling skills, passing, and shooting. Asuma is quick, but he plays against slow players in high school. This is why he needs to show himself at the top level AAU as he needs to play against other potential D1 players. So far, he has held his own quite well.
Baring some disaster, Cherry will be playing in the State Tournament, so plan on watching.

Defense is easily learned, but requires willpower.

Hmm. I know a few coaches out here in the west, who have great defensive reputations who would certainly agree with the second half of your statement, but not so much the "easily learned" part of it. One in particular who has mentioned that it generally a full season or so before he feels they are really understanding everything involved in consistently playing great defense and being able to instinctively incorporate it. He has told me a fair number of times "All these guys can score, but it's a pretty big learning curve for most of them to get to where I want and need them defensively".

I guess it all depends on what one considers acceptable defensive ability and knowledge.

The name rung a 🛎️ and as I suspected, he is former collegiate National Player of the Year (Texas) TJ Ford - first round draft pick who played 8 years in the Association and was once voted the quickest player in the League - - also a native Texan.

Per the article, Jr. Has taken trips to A&.M and Creighton and has a Texas- Arlington offer, so interesting why he doesn’t have more/better?

Last edited:

Asuma is long and athletic. He can guard quick guards

Top Bottom