All Things Gophers Trip to Ohio State- November 7

Gopherocious

Reaction score
Hey all-

A few of us are wanting to take the trip to Columbus this year for the Gopher game in November. None of us have been to a game at the 'Shoe, so we were hoping for a little of advice. Is the visitor section up in the nosebleeds like at Nebraska and Wisconsin? For $80-100 or whatever it is, it'd be nice to have a decent view for the game, as it's a trip that doesn't come around very often. Any other advice for the weekend? Places to stay/eat/drink/etc? Hopefully a few of our resident OSU posters can help out as well! :)

Thanks in advance for all of the help!!

We've got our plane tickets and hotel room booked for this game!! Super pumped to go to a Gophers game, especially one at night at the Shoe!

Go Gophers!!

I haven't been to C-Bus since 2006, but in the past, the visitors sections were actually field level in the corners of both end zones. The stadium has been expanded since then so I don't know where they now put the visiting fans.

When my son was deciding on a college we went on a week long cross-country road trip which included a stop at OSU. The school and the city exceeded our expectations. We stayed at a downtown Sheraton that was very nice, within walking distance of nice bars and restaurants. The campus is near downtown and its size and layout reminded me of the U. We got next to, but not in the Horseshoe. Massive and impressive. Would love to see a game there. Went to Ann Arbor the next day and we were much more impressed with OSU.

After all our touring the lad ended up selecting Ski-U-Mah. He loves it and is a fixture in the student section at TCF. I guess everything works out the way it is supposed to.

Hey all-

A few of us are wanting to take the trip to Columbus this year for the Gopher game in November. None of us have been to a game at the 'Shoe, so we were hoping for a little of advice. Is the visitor section up in the nosebleeds like at Nebraska and Wisconsin? For $80-100 or whatever it is, it'd be nice to have a decent view for the game, as it's a trip that doesn't come around very often. Any other advice for the weekend? Places to stay/eat/drink/etc? Hopefully a few of our resident OSU posters can help out as well! :)

Thanks in advance for all of the help!!
There are hotels close to the stadium, but the prices are very high, running well over $200-300/night. You can find lots of hotels 15 minutes away for much more reasonable rates and then park at lots across the river (10-15 min walk from stadium). And, you could tailgate in the lots.
The visitor seats are very high and very low on the closed end of the horseshoe. Not as bad as Nebraska end zone seats (but what is), similar to distance as Wisconsin visitor seats.
If you want to get the full experience of game day/night in Columbus without a tailgate, you could stay at hotel closer to downtown on High St (pricier than outside of immediate area), but you don't have to worry about parking (hotel) as you can walk to the stadium, eat at Eddie George's restaurant, and walk around to explore the campus and bars/restaurants near/on High St.
Personally, if you want to get a fuller experience, I'd try to do the latter. If you want to go more economically and just watch the game, do the former.

Super excited for all of you. Went to the U for undergrad and OSU for optometry. Cbus and Minneapolis are so comprable. Don't worry, I bleed maroon and gold. I would second what KillerGopherFan said.

Would also like to add the 'place to be' neighborhood in Cbus is the Short North, which is still on the main drag (High St), just about a mile South of campus. Pint House is a good bar with great tap selections and ample tvs.

If you're looking for the 'Big 10 bar' of Dinkytown, look no further than The Varsity Club which is 2 blocks from the stadium. That being said, it will be PACKED on game day. The Shoe does not serve beer.

If you want the true Buckeye experience, check out the 'Skull Session' 2 hours before kickoff with the marching band. Previously was in the volleyball arena, has since been bulldozed, Google where it is now. Will give you nothing more than respect for the traditions, fans, and TBDBITL - the Internet sensation.

Places to avoid: O-Patio, Big Bar, Gateway bars ... all festering with 18 year Olds and fake IDs.

I'm with the guy saying stay downtown and hitting the Varsity Club. Take the No. 2 bus up and down High Street or a cab. Will get busy, so may as well have a few more at the Varsity Club after the game before trying.
There are plenty of public tailgate parties - think BW3 across from TCF - along Lane Avenue, with the Varsity Club the best of the bunch. Visitor alumni clubs usually reserve space in OSU's Fawcett alumni center for pregame parties too. There are also a number of cheaper hotels north of Fawcett and campus along Olentangy River Road, though it will be a sobering long walk afterward.
The band is a big deal at Ohio State, and skull session is a nice place to warm up/cool off and use a clean restroom in the old basketball arena when heading from the Varsity Club to the stadium. The area will get roped off a bit as the Ohio State team walks through a tunnel of fans from their hotel, to skull session (now 2 hours and 15 minutes before game time) and then the stadium.
If the Minnesota band goes to the game, there is a good chance they would play at the skull session too -- visiting bands not named Michigan often do.
The best part of staying downtown is that there are a number of bars and restaurants in the Arena and Short North districts for those of us who graduated college years ago. I wouldn't be surprised if one of them is adopted by any local U alumni club - if there is an Ohio one - before the game.

Can't wait to hopefully see some of you guys decked out in Gopher gear down in Columbus! It'll be the only taste of home I get until autumn semester ends in December. :)

Gopher vs Ohio State Road Trip

Hey Guys,
I am thinking about going to Ohio State game when they play the Gophers at night for at the Shoe. I was wondering if you would recomend the trip or suggest going to Iowa vs Gophers? Where are the seats located that you can get from the U of M for the away games in Iowa and Ohio State?

I highly recommend an Ohio State road trip. It is do-able by car and it is a very fun trip.

If you like air museums, the airforce museum is in Dayton and it is well worth the stop. Massive museum with just about every plane you'd ever want to see. Nobody plans a trip to Dayton Ohio but as long as it is right off the freeway on the way to Columbus, with a museum of that size/quality... why not swing in? http://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/

We had a great time in Columbus... eating at a restaurant near campus Friday night (lots of people willing to engage in friendly college football conversation) and then had a recommendation to eat the famous burgers at the Thurman Cafe Saturday night. That ended up being a memorable experience. It isn't a big place and they do not take reservations. You basically show up and commit yourself to a wait (easily an hour or more). We got there and put our names in and crammed our way to the bar to get a drink. Said a couple words about the game to the guy next to me and eventually his party was seated. He motioned us over and said their table would fit us if we didn't mind eating with them. They were two young couples still decked out in their OSU gear from attending the game. We said "why not?" and joined them. Had a fantastic time, the burgers were unbelievably large, and we stayed a LONG time. http://thethurmancafe.com/

Those very nice people at the Thurman Cafe were representative of nearly everyone we met all weekend. There was the old fella at the hotel... quizzed us up and down about Gopher football and could probably name more Gopher greats than I could, or the guy that introduced himself as we left the parking ramp for the game and helped us find our way into the old gym to watch the "skull session" - on and on.

The Gophers were bad that day and Eric Decker's college career ended that day but we still often fondly recall what a great road trip that was to see a game.

Hey Guys,
I am thinking about going to Ohio State game when they play the Gophers at night for at the Shoe. I was wondering if you would recomend the trip or suggest going to Iowa vs Gophers? Where are the seats located that you can get from the U of M for the away games in Iowa and Ohio State?

OSU since they're in the other division and it's a long trip. Iowa is an easy option every other year. Ohio Stadium is dang impressive. Especially with two ranked teams at night. ;)

where are gopher fans sitting for this game, for those that have tickets already?

We have 19 people going and the tickets are in AA, row 4. They are right at field level. It may be a tough view.

I purchased two visitor tickets from the U ticket office today for $84 a piece. The ticket office couldn't tell me exactly where the seats were going to be but he did give me six or so possible sections but for $84 to see the Gophers play at the Shoe i'd sit anywhere.

I'm really excited for the next couple of weeks. My group of 8 will be tailgaiting in costume all day for the Michigan game and a week later I'll be at the Shoe. Having only been to Ryan Field and Reliant Stadium for Gopher away games, 'm looking forward to a great experience in a historic stadium win or lose.

I live in Columbus area. Got tickets from next door neighbor. Let me know where everybody is tailgating!

You can't help but walk into the Shoe and get goose bumps. Like we chant 'Who hates Iowa?', the students chant 'We don't give a damn for the who state of Michigan...etc'

Is it possible to fly with Creative Charters and just pay for the ticket itself? I have no interest in doing any of their planned activities other than flying there and back.

I purchased two visitor tickets from the U ticket office today for $84 a piece. The ticket office couldn't tell me exactly where the seats were going to be but he did give me six or so possible sections but for $84 to see the Gophers play at the Shoe i'd sit anywhere.

I'm really excited for the next couple of weeks. My group of 8 will be tailgaiting in costume all day for the Michigan game and a week later I'll be at the Shoe. Having only been to Ryan Field and Reliant Stadium for Gopher away games, 'm looking forward to a great experience in a historic stadium win or lose.

Do you recall which sections those would be? I'd hate to travel all that way to sit in the top row, but judging by ticket prices on the secondary market, that might be the only change I've got.

Do you recall which sections those would be? I'd hate to travel all that way to sit in the top row, but judging by ticket prices on the secondary market, that might be the only change I've got.

I wrote down 6 of the 10 and they are actually all in the 2nd deck or below. They were sections 4B, 6B, 8B (2nd deck I believe), 12AA, 10AA, and 8AA.

I wrote down 6 of the 10 and they are actually all in the 2nd deck or below. They were sections 4B, 6B, 8B (2nd deck I believe), 12AA, 10AA, and 8AA.

I checked on Gophersports.com and our seats are in Section 8C Row 8. Haven't received the tickets yet; they said 3 weeks before the game. That means tomorrow.

Is it possible to fly with Creative Charters and just pay for the ticket itself? I have no interest in doing any of their planned activities other than flying there and back.

No having done business with them before they don't do that sell seats on the plane without doing the package deal. The only thing if you go through them that you can do is buy the game ticket on your own.

Our tickets have arrived! We are in section 8C Row 10. Looking forward to my first trip to Columbus!

with the buckeyes having a bye this week, we are pretty much guaranteed that the gophers will face the #1 team in the nation in prime time in columbus. #whynotus

My tickets arrived yesterday and we are in 8c row 30. I decided not to fly since I don't want to pay 600$ for a round trip ticket so I'll be making the 11 hour drive solo at 5am next friday.

Sounds like everyone got a section 8C, ourselves included.

Kuato,

On the way to Columbus is one of the best breweries in the world (actually ranked). Three Floyds Brewery in Munster, Indiana. Well worth the 15 minute detour. They have a shop to the left to buy beer to go.

If the Gophers win, get out of there fast. They're nasty after a loss, especially if they're #1.

Top Bottom