All Things Gophers at North Carolina Road Game Thread (Tips for Flights, Hotels, Bars, Restaurants, Game Tickets & More)

AF_Howie_2180

Reaction score
Looking at next year schedule anyone already thinking about heading out to Tar Heel Country for a Mid-September afternoon game? I got really bored at work tonight and did some Google Mapping of their Stadium/Campus and it looks like it would be a nice venue to check out and actually the campus itself looks like a fun one to wander around on pre/post game.

Yep, our crew has already decided we will go to UNC for our annual road game. We hope to see the Gophers at all Big Ten venues, but we always pick a non conference game if there is one knowing the Gophers may never get there again.

UNC will be a great road trip, already excited for it!

Go Gophers!!

Yep, our crew has already decided we will go to UNC for our annual road game. We hope to see the Gophers at all Big Ten venues, but we always pick a non conference game if there is one knowing the Gophers may never get there again.

UNC will be a great road trip, already excited for it!

Go Gophers!!
We are going to UNC as well. Then we will pick one more.

Looking at next year schedule anyone already thinking about heading out to Tar Heel Country for a Mid-September afternoon game? I got really bored at work tonight and did some Google Mapping of their Stadium/Campus and it looks like it would be a nice venue to check out and actually the campus itself looks like a fun one to wander around on pre/post game.
Despite my never-ending hatred of Duke, that campus is also awesome to see when you’re in the area.

Received my MBA from UNC years ago. Beautiful campus and stadium, particularly in early Fall. I plan to attend and will be making reservations. Transit to CH from surrounding areas and Parking near campus is always an issue. I am not current on how they handle tailgating so direct questions to UNC AD Department website. Try Carolina Coffee Shop on Franklin for breakfast.

A buddy and I go to one road game most years. Another friend of ours lives walking distance from the stadium in Chapel Hill. He doesn't know it yet, but he will likely have a couple of visitors in September.

Have family in the area, so might try to get to UNC next fall.

Iowa is MEA weekend, but I've been there for a game.

Chicago might be good if it's the last game at Ryan Field.

Most CH hotels/motels downtown within walking distance of stadium show "Sold Out" for Friday and Saturday. Gopherholers might want to try Cary/Raleigh, Durham, Pittsboro or Burlington properties, but plan for difficult transit to CH and parking.

Most CH hotels/motels downtown within walking distance of stadium show "Sold Out" for Friday and Saturday. Gopherholers might want to try Cary/Raleigh, Durham, Pittsboro or Burlington properties, but plan for difficult transit to CH and parking.
Holiday Inn Express - Chapel Hill is a bit over $100 a night. 20 minute bus ride to the stadium.

Don't forget to get your degree while you're there. I hear it's super easy...
Contrary to the impressions left by the academic scandal in certain sports several years ago UNC-Chapel Hill is academically rigorous. A very high % of students accepted are in the top 5% of their graduating high school class, with many Valedictorians. Most accepted students have 10+ AP classes in their high school record. Graduate Schools of Law, Medicine, Business and other disciplines are highly ranked nationally. And yes, I don't work for UNC-Chapel Hill.

Last edited:

Contrary to the impressions left by the academic scandal in certain sports several years ago UNC-Chapel Hill is academically rigorous. A very high % of students accepted are in the top 5% of their graduating high school class, with many Valedictorians. Most accepted students have 10+ AP classes in their high school record. Graduate Schools of Law, Medicine, Business and other disciplines are highly ranked nationally. And yes, I don't work for UNC-Chapel Hill.
I'm aware. But they got off because the fake classes/degree were "available to all students" and therefore it wasn't the NCAA's business.

This one has been on my radar for 2 years.

For those Gopherholers where $$$$ is no concern look up the Angus Barn restaurant in Raleigh for a Chapel Hill visit dinner. Raleigh's version of Manny's with a broader menu. Beautiful site too

We live outside of Raleigh and have been waiting for this for years. We are planning to host some MN friends and may get some of our NCSU friends to join in the Gopher cheering section. I'm happy to answer any questions about the area.

We live outside of Raleigh and have been waiting for this for years. We are planning to host some MN friends and may get some of our NCSU friends to join in the Gopher cheering section. I'm happy to answer any questions about the area.
For most NCSU football fans there second favorite team is whoever is playing UNC. I could possibly go visit family and catch the game but traffic and parking will be brutal.

Top Bottom