All Things Gophers at Colorado Road Trip Thread

Speaking of road games, any word from the ticket office about when they go on sale to season ticketholders?

It will be a short trip and the game is going to be the focus for us. We will only have one other day for sight seeing. Haven't decided on a car yet. We ended up getting a hotel in Boulder.
Great choice! Go to Pearl St. Mall Friday night, the band and CU team should march right down the mall at some point. You can walk to the game from lots of the hotels...or just uber it or take the buses. Enjoy a hike at Chautauqua. I hope you have a great time here.

If you're going to stay in Boulder, I'd recommend trying to stay near Pearl Street (very nice pedestrian mall with a lot of shops and restaurants and always interesting people-watching). The Hotel Boulderado is right off Pearl and the St. Julien (if you want to ball out and money is no object is the best hotel in Boulder). Most of the other hotels in Boulder are kind of spread around the town and you won't be super close to as many walkable things.

The one exception is there are a grouping of chain hotels near 28th and Canyon, which is pretty walkable to Folsom Field:

-- The Millenium Harvest House (an older hotel), but definitely the closest to the stadium) is there. Borders a strip mall with a grocery store and some restaurants.
-- Then there is a Marriott Residence Inn, Embassy Suites and Hilton Residence Inn that are all much newer and close to a lot of restaurants and a huge outdoor mall called 29th Street. You'll have a lot of restaurants within walking distance of here too, but it's definitely a bit busier (not on a pedestrian mall). These hotels are on 28th, which is the main road in and out of Boulder, so it's quite busy.

Restaurant-wise (just gonna throw some stuff out off top of my head):

Breakfast -

The Buff is always good, but busy. But is close to the second grouping of hotels I mentioned above. Been around for at least 20+ years.

The Village Coffee Shop is an old school greasy spoon near Folsom and Arapahoe. Solid food, but nothing fancy. Also no booze. Think Al's Diner in Dinkytown.

Lucille's Creole is near Pearl Street and is a legendary New Orleans style breakfast/brunch spot. HUGE favorite of mine, but the food is heavy for sure.

Foolish Craig's is also very good and on Pearl.

Lunch and Dinner:

BJ's is on 28th and (while a local CO chain) has some great beers and solid food. Also a lot of TVs for other games.

The Lazy Dog (not 100% if still open) is/was a major sports bar on Pearl Street. Good for some game-watching and pre-game action.

The Rio Grande has a great rooftop and the strongest margs you will find (the Mexican food is average though), but a good place for some drinks and hanging.

The West End Tavern is a bar with really nice food. Great rooftop for hanging. Also on Pearl Street.

Riff's (also on Pearl) is very good new American fare. A little pricier.

The Kitchen (on Pearl) is also very good farm-to-table food.

For Italian, Pasta Jay's is the classic spot, but I wouldn't say it's anything special. Also on Pearl, just been there forever.

Frasca Food and Wine is one of the best restaurants in the country. Much much nicer Italian. You will need a reservation a ways out and be prepared to drop at least a couple hundo for a pair.

Bartaco (also on Pearl) has good tacos, a great patio and nice drinks.

If you want great seafood and a fancy meal, Jax Fish House on Pearl has been crushing it for decades. Also prob need a reservation.

Sushi - Hapa is on Pearl and has a lot of fun specialty rolls, definitely more of a scene with music and good happy hour deals. Blofish, Tasuki or Japango may have better quality fish and are a bit more traditional Japanese sushi.

Finally, if you want really good Indian food, Sherpa House is quite amazing (also close to Pearl).

BARS:

The bar scene in Boulder has died down quite a bit in the last decades, but plenty of places to grab drinks on Pearl Street. Not a ton that are great college football pre-game spots. There is a bar with some great cocktails under the Hotel Boulderado, but the name is escaping me.

For the best pre-game spots, you might want to wander up to The Hill (which borders campus). Much more of a college scene. The Sink (where Robert Redford used to work in college) has been open for 50 years and is definitely a popular pre-game spot if you can get in. Easy walk across campus from there. I'm honestly not sure what other bars are called or are open on the Hill anymore, but there are definitely bound to be some spots and lots of people walking around before the game.

If you want to "tailgate", you can usually park on campus and then wander to Farrand Field or the open lawn near Coors Events Center and people will be set up pre-gaming and drinking and throwing the football around. There is a private tailgate lot just east of the stadium, but people have permits for those spots. So you might wander and find some friendly folks to stop and hang, but I don't believe they have alcohol or food for sale to the general public on that field.

***This is the best I can do off the top of my head, but let me know if you have more specific questions. I'd definitely suggest saving some time to walk through the campus a bit before the game. It's a very picturesque campus with beautiful buildings and the coeds are equally as impressive.***

Hopefully this helps a bit!
This is spot on...Lazy Dog is out of business now due to the pandemic:(

Not to derail the thread...but my family is going to Colorado this summer and planning on going to Vail Wed. (from Denver) and coming back Saturday....
We gonna hit major traffic?
I would not expect a summer weekday to have traffic to Vail nor a Saturday night. Ski season weekends stink, Fridays out and Sundays home can be bad but you should be fine.

I would not expect a summer weekday to have traffic to Vail nor a Saturday night. Ski season weekends stink, Fridays out and Sundays home can be bad but you should be fine.
Thanks! I think we are actually coming back into Denver Friday night so that will probably be even better.

PSA: That video includes the notorious goal post incident from 2002. Viewer discretion is advised.

I've booked flight/hotel/rental car. Hopeful anyone with ticket info will drop it in this thread when they are available - I'll be sure to do the same. Looking forward to seeing fellow Gophers on the road. Will be my first road game since Berkeley.

If you are spending Sunday in Denver and want any recommendations on what area to stay in or great dinner spots, let me know what kind of food you like and happy to list out some ideas for you.
Appreciate your input and help here. Going to be in Steamboat that week and thinking of leaving there early Saturday (now that they have the early start time) and drive to Boulder for the game. Would spend Saturday night in Denver before heading to Breckenridge for a few days.

What hotel (Marriott brand preferred) would you recommend in Denver and also a great restaurant near said hotel? Again, thanks for your help and input.

Appreciate your input and help here. Going to be in Steamboat that week and thinking of leaving there early Saturday (now that they have the early start time) and drive to Boulder for the game. Would spend Saturday night in Denver before heading to Breckenridge for a few days.

What hotel (Marriott brand preferred) would you recommend in Denver and also a great restaurant near said hotel? Again, thanks for your help and input.

Not sure how much you wanna spend but JW Marriott Cherry Creek will have the best restaurants within walking distance. Lots of choices. Also the nicest shopping area in town.

Depending what kind of food, I can recommend any number of spots around there.

Otherwise Residence Inn by Marriott Cherry Creek will about 100-130 cheaper and is a quick Lyft to all the same restaurants - just not walkable.

Neither of these are downtown, but they have great options for food and shopping nearby. Higher end but everything.

If you wanna be downtown, let me know. Just a different setup and choice of hotels. More Kimpton, Hyatt, Hilton and some great boutiques. Just a few more blocks that have more homeless people mixed in.

Just picked up Bill Burr tix at Red Rocks the night we get in, Oh Boy is This Great!!

Got any golf recommendations near Boulder, say within 45 minutes?

Just bought my flight, rental car, and hotel........gambling that they will have a full stadium and I can get tix! Please let me get tix
I saw that one of the ticket exchanges had them starting at $58. We have flight and hotel, not yet worried about game tix. I think that they play Texas A&M the week before. If they win that one ticket prices will probably rise.

Got any golf recommendations near Boulder, say within 45 minutes?

Yes. Omni Interlocken has 27 holes 15 minutes from Boulder. Coal Creek is pretty fun. Colorado National is a tough links style course.

How hard do you like your golf? And how much do you want to pay?

Looks like $70-80 will get a decent seat on the Gophs side...

For those that have done a road trip before, should I grab tickets now or do you think they will drop in price as we get closer to the date of the game?

For those that have done a road trip before, should I grab tickets now or do you think they will drop in price as we get closer to the date of the game?
My philosophy has always been "A bird in the hand is worth two in a bush!"

My guess is that the game will be a sell out.

Especially if they were to somehow beat A&M at Mile High Stadium (whatever it's called now).

CU fans would be crawling out of the woodwork for a massive game in Boulder vs the Gophers.

Top Bottom