All Things Gophers 2020-21 Schedule

SelectionSunday

Reaction score
Updated 6/8/20

Figured I'd give the Gophers their own thread separate of the Big Ten non-conference schedules. So if you're only interested in Gophers schedule, check here.

Safe to assume the Gophers will play the maximum allowable 11 non-conference games. College basketball's Opening Night (hopefully) is set for Tuesday, Nov. 10.

GOPHERS
Non-Conference (currently 6 Home, 1 Away, 2 Neutral)

Nov. 11: ALBANY — non-bracketed Hall of Fame Tip-Off
Nov. 14: KENT STATE
Nov. 17: LIU — non-bracketed Hall of Fame Tip-Off
Nov. 21: vs. UCF -- Hall of Fame Tip-Off
Nov. 22: vs. Marquette or Rhode Island -- Hall of Fame Tip-Off
Nov. 25: GREEN BAY
Nov. 30-Dec. 2: @ ACC Challenge, projecting Wake Forest
Dec. 16: MISSISSIPPI STATE
Dec. 29: NORTH DAKOTA

Big Ten (10 Home, 10 Away)

Last edited:

Kent State is a relatively high level opponent for a guarantee game. They could have gotten a much cheaper opponent, I would think. Is including Kent a good schedule decision? I only know they are in the MAC and haven't been in the tournament for a while.

Kent State is a relatively high level opponent for a guarantee game. They could have gotten a much cheaper opponent, I would think. Is including Kent a good schedule decision? I only know they are in the MAC and haven't been in the tournament for a while.
Solid MAC program. Last appeared in NCAA tourney in 2017. Decent last season, 18-12 with final NET ranking of #117, KenPom of #128. Equates to a Quad 3 opponent.

SS - Are the LIU and Albany games confirmed? Apologies if you've already covered this.

Aren’t we also playing Rick Pitino’s team? Or no?

Marcus' Q&A includes a question from our guy Hodger!

Q: When will the ACC-Big Ten Challenge pairings and the Big Ten schedule be announced? Any chance of a neutral-site game at Target Center? – Buzz King (@Fieldof68Freak)

A: The ACC-Big Ten Challenge matchups are typically released in early June. The Big Ten schedules could come out mid-August, but that is assuming we are talking about a normal start to the season. Would be awesome to have the Gophers play at the Timberwolves court, but I have not heard it becoming a reality yet.

Go Gophers!!

Marcus' Q&A includes a question from our guy Hodger!

Q: When will the ACC-Big Ten Challenge pairings and the Big Ten schedule be announced? Any chance of a neutral-site game at Target Center? – Buzz King (@Fieldof68Freak)

A: The ACC-Big Ten Challenge matchups are typically released in early June. The Big Ten schedules could come out mid-August, but that is assuming we are talking about a normal start to the season. Would be awesome to have the Gophers play at the Timberwolves court, but I have not heard it becoming a reality yet.

Go Gophers!!
Thanks Bleed.

I assumed Marcus would go to a source (Pitino?) to try to answer questions specific to this coming season, but I guess not. Actually, last year the Big Ten schedule (the 20 opponents) was released in late April, not mid-August. His mid-August answer was when dates/times/TV network were released.

Confirmation of dates for Mississippi State H and H series

Mississippi State Home and Home

The University of Minnesota men's basketball schedule will feature a marquee home opponent this winter, as the Gophers and Mississippi State University announced a two-year, home-and-home series starting in December.

Minnesota will host the Bulldogs on Wednesday, December 16 at Williams Arena, with the return game set for the 2021-2022 season at Humphrey Coliseum in Starkville. That game date will be announced at a later time.

This is the first meeting between the two schools, while the Gophers own a mark of 20-15 against Southeastern Conference opponents. The Maroon and Gold last faced an SEC squad in 2018, defeating Texas A&M, 69-64, in the opening round of the Vancouver Showcase. Mississippi State finished the 2019-20 campaign with a 20-11 mark, including an 11-7 record in SEC play good for a fourth place finish.

The time of December's game against the Bulldogs, along with the remainder of the non-conference schedule, will be announced later this summer.

Gophers season opener will be Nov. 11 vs. Albany at Williams Arena. First of two non-bracketed Hall of Fame Tip-Off home games.

SS, thanks for your schedule updates - it's a great service to us fans of Gopher hoops. Do you have any insight as to whether fans will be allowed to attend the games? I wouldn't be surprised if we were barred from attending at least through the end of December due to Covid concerns.

I notice that the ticket office has extended the deadline for payment of season tickets until late August. I think they've adopted a "wait and see" posture - if the NCAA and/or Big 10 come out with some guidance on how to proceed during the pandemic, we will have to follow it. If that means we can't attend some/ most/ all of the games, we can't still be charged for tickets, can we?

SS, thanks for your schedule updates - it's a great service to us fans of Gopher hoops. Do you have any insight as to whether fans will be allowed to attend the games? I wouldn't be surprised if we were barred from attending at least through the end of December due to Covid concerns.

I notice that the ticket office has extended the deadline for payment of season tickets until late August. I think they've adopted a "wait and see" posture - if the NCAA and/or Big 10 come out with some guidance on how to proceed during the pandemic, we will have to follow it. If that means we can't attend some/ most/ all of the games, we can't still be charged for tickets, can we?
Thanks.

Being that current plans for college football seem to be pointing toward partial crowds from the get-go (20-30% capacity), I’d guess we’ll see something similar for basketball. I don’t expect “no crowds”, but that certainly remains a possibility.

I renewed my season tickets last week, but did it with the understanding that there will be refunds if there are games that have no crowds, or partial crowds that limit the number of games you can attend.

Thanks.

Being that current plans for college football seem to be pointing toward partial crowds from the get-go (20-30% capacity), I’d guess we’ll see something similar for basketball. I don’t expect “no crowds”, but that certainly remains a possibility.

I renewed my season tickets last week, but did it with the understanding that there will be refunds if there are games that have no crowds, or partial crowds that limit the number of games you can attend.

By basketball season, we are going to be just fine

By basketball season, we are going to be just fine
I hope so. That’s the attitude I’m going with.

I think it helps greatly that the rest of the student body will be out of dodge at Thanksgiving until after MLK Day when spring semester starts. Athletes (from winter sports) basically will have the campus to themselves for 2 months.

Last edited:

Thanks.

I know they have plans for refunds if games aren't played, but are you aware of plans on dividing up tickets for limited capacity? I could see a disaster in which some season ticket holders get stuck with the bottom 100 games, and others get the high end B1G games. It would seem that some schema for that scenario should be out before we pony up the dough for the season tickets.

I know they have plans for refunds if games aren't played, but are you aware of plans on dividing up tickets for limited capacity? I could see a disaster in which some season ticket holders get stuck with the bottom 100 games, and others get the high end B1G games. It would seem that some schema for that scenario should be out before we pony up the dough for the season tickets.

Just a guess, but in that situation if they do not sell any single game seats, have a limited student section and offer refunds/credit to any fans high risk or just uncomfortable with going to games, there will be plenty of room at the Barn.

That would also be much easier if they switch to digital ticking, where one may be moved to a comparable seat location.

What are the gophers chances at the Gavitt Games this year? We played last year but didn't the year before that. If I remember right is it something like 2 guaranteed every 3 years?

What are the gophers chances at the Gavitt Games this year? We played last year but didn't the year before that. If I remember right is it something like 2 guaranteed every 3 years?
Gophers won't be in Gavitt Games. It's an 8-year contract. Big Ten teams play 4 of the 8 years, After this season Gophers will have played in 3 of 6.

Gophers won't be in Gavitt Games. It's an 8-year contract. Big Ten teams play 4 of the 8 years, After this season Gophers will have played in 3 of 6.
Could they play this year though and then sit out the final year?

Could they play this year though and then sit out the final year?

The Gavitt Games reportedly will be played between Nov. 16-19. Gophers already have games scheduled for Nov. 14, 17, 21 & 22. Not much of a window there to add another game. ... it would have to be the 19th, and I doubt they'd schedule a game two days before they'head to Uncasville to play UCF.

Top Bottom