All Things Gopher Baseball

Why does DeLuga and Semb see the field? I know that is harsh, but it happens almost every time they pitch. For God's sake miss a bat will ya.

Why does DeLuga and Semb see the field? I know that is harsh, but it happens almost every time they pitch. For God's sake miss a bat will ya.
DeLuga has been better than last year but to try to push him back out for a 2nd inning today was a bad decision. Semb has really good stuff but he has been pretty bad his last few outings as his breaking ball hasn't been sharp at all and his command hasn't been good. Gets 0-2 a lot and can't finish guys off which seems to be a problem with a number of our pitchers but also could try to make the hitter get himself out a little more when up 0-2/1-2.
Biggest issue was going to Skoro last night and having him throw as many pitches as they did burned him for today.
Massey was pretty decent today on the mound, couple bad errors though, bats were pretty quiet, defense wasn't sharp, and it results in the 5-1 loss.
No idea why they didn't go to a right handed bat off the bench for Sweeny or Wilhite in the 7th and then again in the 9th, got lucky the Sweeny AB in the 7th got the run in as it should've been a double play.

DeLuga has been better than last year but to try to push him back out for a 2nd inning today was a bad decision. Semb has really good stuff but he has been pretty bad his last few outings as his breaking ball hasn't been sharp at all and his command hasn't been good. Gets 0-2 a lot and can't finish guys off which seems to be a problem with a number of our pitchers but also could try to make the hitter get himself out a little more when up 0-2/1-2.
Biggest issue was going to Skoro last night and having him throw as many pitches as they did burned him for today.
Massey was pretty decent today on the mound, couple bad errors though, bats were pretty quiet, defense wasn't sharp, and it results in the 5-1 loss.
No idea why they didn't go to a right handed bat off the bench for Sweeny or Wilhite in the 7th and then again in the 9th, got lucky the Sweeny AB in the 7th got the run in as it should've been a double play.
Agree with pitching Skoro last night, thought they could have used someone else as the game seemed to be under control. Not sure about DeLuga being better than last year, he is carrying and ERA of nearly 18. I am not sure of any other D1 pitcher that has been used in 13 games with that gaudy ERA.

Agree with pitching Skoro last night, thought they could have used someone else as the game seemed to be under control. Not sure about DeLuga being better than last year, he is carrying and ERA of nearly 18. I am not sure of any other D1 pitcher that has been used in 13 games with that gaudy ERA.
Overall number wise it doesn't show but I'm just going from watching. Seemed like every time he came in last year he could barely get an out and even throw strikes at that this year it has just been a few bad outings. 5 run outings against FAU and Indiana State early and then 4 to Air Force and Iowa last week with 8 other outings without giving up a run. Either way that isn't the type of pitcher you should be using in 1-2 run games in the 7th, 8th, 9th, etc.

Big time missed opportunity this weekend. Could've put yourself in a real nice spot for that last conference tourney spot instead you blow today and yesterday. Today makes me question the staff yet again like Sunday in Iowa. Going to the freshman Rooney in the 8th was a little strange but not yanking him after the first walk is inexcusable and then opting to go with Culliver with 2 outs in the 8th instead of Skoro who was ready is just stupid. Offense left way too many on base as well, just another game like so many this year that you have no business losing but somehow do.

We last won a conference series in 2019 and since be at the highest point this program has been in a while at the end of 2018 with B1G Titles, Regional Championship, and Supers trip are 54-94. There is no doubt about it that this team is much better than last years squad and much more competitive. A number of close late loses this season really hurt but how much are those close losses that you can't finish on the coaching staff? I'd say there is plenty of blame on the staff for where the team is this season and I'm starting to question them more and more.
It is a really weird feeling as a supporter of this program to be trying to run scenarios in your head of trying to get the 8 seed in the conference tournament rather than scenarios of winning the conference and making a regional. I don't like this feeling at all.
In the end I don't have a whole lot of faith that Coyle cares enough about the baseball program and the downward spiral to do something about it so I guess just have to hope some things start breaking our way and this staff takes a good look in the mirror and realizes they need to improve themselves.

We last won a conference series in 2019 and since be at the highest point this program has been in a while at the end of 2018 with B1G Titles, Regional Championship, and Supers trip are 54-94. There is no doubt about it that this team is much better than last years squad and much more competitive. A number of close late loses this season really hurt but how much are those close losses that you can't finish on the coaching staff? I'd say there is plenty of blame on the staff for where the team is this season and I'm starting to question them more and more.
It is a really weird feeling as a supporter of this program to be trying to run scenarios in your head of trying to get the 8 seed in the conference tournament rather than scenarios of winning the conference and making a regional. I don't like this feeling at all.
In the end I don't have a whole lot of faith that Coyle cares enough about the baseball program and the downward spiral to do something about it so I guess just have to hope some things start breaking our way and this staff takes a good look in the mirror and realizes they need to improve themselves.
Give Coach one more year to try and turn this program around if he can't then a complete rebuild like with the Basketball program. Just my opinion.

After scoring 8 in the 3rd, South Dakota State was up 10-0 and goes on to win 12-6 today. Another tough day for Gopher pitchers, who walked 10 and hit 4 batters, in addition to 13 hits given up.

After scoring 8 in the 3rd, South Dakota State was up 10-0 and goes on to win 12-6 today. Another tough day for Gopher pitchers, who walked 10 and hit 4 batters, in addition to 13 hits given up.
I’m sorry but… man this is bad!

I’m sorry but… man this is bad!
I hate walks! Is this coaching where they are asking the pitchers to paint the corners or just utter lack of control? I would much rather have them put the ball in play and let the defense work versus give up so many free bases. It demoralizes the pitchers, the team, and the fans!

Give Coach one more year to try and turn this program around if he can't then a complete rebuild like with the Basketball program. Just my opinion.
Have to ask about your screen name, in particular about the Medford part. town or name?

Lots of discussion of pitching but weekend starters have been really good! Let’s not forget that part. Our third best hitter is hitting .240 but little talk of the offense on here. It seems as if it’s more than just bad pitching although that is certainly an issue. My take is the position guys are in the lineup everyday and have the most reps and the most opportunity to impact the game vs. a reliever who might get 3 or 4 batters a week. It’s a team game and lots of blame to go around. Just a different take than what I see on this board! Thoughts?

Lots of discussion of pitching but weekend starters have been really good! Let’s not forget that part. Our third best hitter is hitting .240 but little talk of the offense on here. It seems as if it’s more than just bad pitching although that is certainly an issue. My take is the position guys are in the lineup everyday and have the most reps and the most opportunity to impact the game vs. a reliever who might get 3 or 4 batters a week. It’s a team game and lots of blame to go around. Just a different take than what I see on this board! Thoughts?
Without a doubt offense has been a big issue especially in conference play. The big issue is 3 guys you probably were counting on to be in the top 5-6 in the lineup haven't been with 5th year guys Sweeny and Wilhite both hitting under .200 and Bertrand missing the last month+ injured.
This offense really struggles situationally, can't come through with a big hit and often gets the minimum out of a maximum situation.
The weekend starters have been really pretty solid lately and it is the bullpen that is really struggling outside of Skoro. Often times it is one guy who has that bad outing and then you just can't recover like Liffrig yesterday was awful and the rest of the guys did a pretty solid job the rest of the way.

I hate walks! Is this coaching where they are asking the pitchers to paint the corners or just utter lack of control? I would much rather have them put the ball in play and let the defense work versus give up so many free bases. It demoralizes the pitchers, the team, and the fans!
There is a few common dominator to this pitching issue the last 2-3 years that i think most peeps dont see. The staff last few years as or had high end talent. If you follow this program close enough, you know why the pitching struggles..

Without a doubt offense has been a big issue especially in conference play. The big issue is 3 guys you probably were counting on to be in the top 5-6 in the lineup haven't been with 5th year guys Sweeny and Wilhite both hitting under .200 and Bertrand missing the last month+ injured.
This offense really struggles situationally, can't come through with a big hit and often gets the minimum out of a maximum situation.
The weekend starters have been really pretty solid lately and it is the bullpen that is really struggling outside of Skoro. Often times it is one guy who has that bad outing and then you just can't recover like Liffrig yesterday was awful and the rest of the guys did a pretty solid job the rest of the way.
One reason your hitting is down is you allowed a catcher to leave because of bad communication on playing time.
He is only slashing - i dont care what level - thats high output - be nice in the middle of the order..
GP- 42
AVG- .346
HR- 14
RBI- 41
R- 50
SB - 2

Gophers get back into the win column 9-0 vs. Saint Thomas last night. Four pitchers combine on a 3 hit shutout. With 13 games to go and the Big 10 tourney realistically out of reach, let's hope the team can build some momentum for next season.

One reason your hitting is down is you allowed a catcher to leave because of bad communication on playing time.
He is only slashing - i dont care what level - thats high output - be nice in the middle of the order..
GP- 42
AVG- .346
HR- 14
RBI- 41
R- 50
SB - 2
I liked the potential of Cody Kelly and think he could've had a regular role in the everyday lineup this year but he struggled mightily at the plate last year for the Gophers in albeit a limited amount of at bats 56. He did get 14 starts as a true freshman though while hitting just .179 and striking out a bunch.

Gophers get back into the win column 9-0 vs. Saint Thomas last night. Four pitchers combine on a 3 hit shutout. With 13 games to go and the Big 10 tourney realistically out of reach, let's hope the team can build some momentum for next season.
I wouldn't say the conference tourney is out of reach. The 8 seed is currently Nebraska at 5-8 and the Gophers still play the 11 team Michigan State 3-9, Nebraska, the 10 Indiana 4-8, and the 6 Northwestern 6-6. I think you probably get in if you win 3 of the 4 series.

GP- 42
AVG- .346
HR- 14
RBI- 41
R- 50
SB - 2
Elaborate on bad communication. If so that’s horrible!

There is a few common dominator to this pitching issue the last 2-3 years that i think most peeps dont see. The staff last few years as or had high end talent. If you follow this program close enough, you know why the pitching struggles..
Why is that? Your take? Genuinely interested!

My take yes and some insight but watch how the games are called...
No I was asking for you take. Sorry for wording. Just interested in what you’ve seen that causes the lack of progress by pitchers. Thanks

Gophers drop first two to Michigan State. Sparty controlled game 1 yesterday and won 8-4. Today they got a first inning homer Gophers answered back with 1 in the 2nd just missing more as Stanke's shot was pushed back off the wall by the wind but then with 2nd and 3rd nobody out Swenson lined hard to short, Counsell blooped a single to make it 1-1 then stole 2nd but Wilhite failed to get the job done striking out and Berghammer grounded out. The winning run was one the Gophers gave away as Massey got a big strikeout with runners on 2nd and 3rd with 1 out and then a routine grounder to Berghammer that he slipped on then made a low late throw and was unable to get the runner for the error.

Another choke job today blowing a couple different leads, giving up big innings to do so. Seems like this team is just allergic to closing out games.

Will we win another game this season?
The answer was yes as Nebraska somehow made a terrible throw on a runner caught between 1st and 2nd sending it into right field corner allowing 2 Gophers to score making it a 1 run game and then a 9th inning rally tied it. Jack Kelly made a great throw to get a runner at the plate and keep the game tied and in the bottom of the 12th a Boston Merila scored Drew Stahl from 2nd who led off the inning with a single. Noah Rooney really pitched well in relief and Josh Culliver went a solid inning+ in extras.

With the struggles the last few seasons the pitching and hitting has really taken the brunt of the blame but this year especially I've noticed the huge step back we have taken in defense and athleticism. Not just in errors but a number of plays you'd see the Gophers make easily 3-4 years ago are going for hits now. If you look at our normal position players outside of Brett Bateman we don't have an above average defender and probably don't have an above average athlete in any spot besides him either, you could argue Ronnie Sweeny might fit into above average but it is borderline for both cases. We have a number of average and below average defenders as well as athletes and that has to change.

Top Bottom