All Things Gopher Baseball

Jake Perry with another home run in his 1st at bat tonight and then walked intentionally 3 times. His Hopkins Legion team clinched a spot in the Central Plains Regional in Sioux Falls. Play for the state championship tomorrow.

let's talk Gopher baseball. Some questions to start.

1. what usually occurs in the Fall when the new team arrives on campus?

2. Who calls the pitches?

3. When does the new schedule come out?

As to number 3, if I remember right, the schedule usually is announced in early to mid November. I think last year, because of COVID, it was a few weeks later than usual.

Doesn't make me very happy when a bullet comes thru the weight room window.

1.I assume some team bonding stuff, individual and full team workouts, intrasquad games, and I would think they can have a couple fall scrimmages against other opponents again this year.
2.Catchers pretty well always have at Minnesota. I'm sure there are plenty of game plan meetings and input from the staff as well but they aren't sending in every pitch.
3.Usually late October. Open the season in Florida for a couple weeks and can probably bet on midweek games with St. Thomas, NDSU, and SDSU for sure.

So i will assume that 2 of the guys they cut will be asked back? -
???? No several transferred out and several transferred in.
Not sure they cut anyone. Looked like several just wanted a move due to playing time?

NCAA limit is 40 this year but sounds like Coyle set the limit at 37 for the Gophers, better than the initial 35 I guess.
The 35 roster (now sounds like 37) is an absolute joke by this administration. Why just MN and not anyone else in the Big Ten? I get it covid messed many things up but how can you cut roster sports, all programs in general (tennis, track etc) but still add to the football roster from players having additional year? - if your doing it for budget reasons, then you dont remove from some and add to others! - i know football is the money maker but as i look at just the baseball side of this, after the 2 years this group of kids went thru on and off the field, games cut, horrible 21' season, no one from the 20/21' squads should have been let go. When the teams hand was forced to cut 5, you cut 5 of the incoming players NOT 5 of the existing that went thru 2 years of a bad experience on and off the field. They owed it the existing roster players after what they went thru and give them the full experience they deserved and expected when coming here. Even if only 2 years.

???? No several transferred out and several transferred in.
Not sure they cut anyone. Looked like several just wanted a move due to playing time?
If that is the case, then you ask the ones you cut back because it was "budget" reasons not talent reasons.

If that is the case, then you ask the ones you cut back because it was "budget" reasons not talent reasons.
Do you actually know something that we do not know...or are you just guessing? How do u know there were cuts vs players asking to transfer?

Do you actually know something that we do not know...or are you just guessing? How do u know there were cuts vs players asking to transfer?
I know first hand unfortunately - they were cut and hoping they would transfer. And even more sad, some of the cuts were also scholarship related (so $$). I totally understand covid did this but you dont cut your existing kids after what happen in 20'-21' (games cut, horrible 21' season) you ask 5 incomings to go elsewhere and they may seem harsh to those kids, but what they did to the 5 or how many it was, it was devastating. And dont cut roster spots and programs completely and add to your football roster, that is not budget cutting.

Two Gophers have found new homes in the portal as Ryan Duffy is headed to St.Cloud and Andrew Hmielewski is headed to Omaha.
Gophers added another transfer yesterday as well.
Surprised Duffy didn't drop down to D3 and pitch for St Johns where a few So St Paul grads have gone.

I know first hand unfortunately - they were cut and hoping they would transfer. And even more sad, some of the cuts were also scholarship related (so $$). I totally understand covid did this but you dont cut your existing kids after what happen in 20'-21' (games cut, horrible 21' season) you ask 5 incomings to go elsewhere and they may seem harsh to those kids, but what they did to the 5 or how many it was, it was devastating. And dont cut roster spots and programs completely and add to your football roster, that is not budget cutting.
Anderson said it was gonna be the first time in his career he had to tell guys they couldn't come back. A couple guys moved on on their own but I do believe there were also a few that they talked to and said they wouldn't have a spot due to the roster crunch.
At the end of the day you have to put a roster on the field that is gonna be the most competitive and help you win games. If 14 brings back 5 guys who have "moved on" rather than bringing new recruits/transfers in than the program wasn't gonna be in a great spot competitively. This is the first time Minnesota has really had to push kids out but this happens all the time at most places and heck you look at other schools this fall and especially SEC and they will have 50+ man rosters and wait to cut guys until after fall ball and then those guys are scrambling at semester break to find a team for the spring.

New 2021 LHP to Gophers. Dawson Hall Richmond KY.
Where did you see this one? I'm not finding it anywhere.

In 2023 news Josh Och of Chanhassen committed to Southern Mississippi where his brother just finished up. Was high on the Gophers target list.

Anderson said it was gonna be the first time in his career he had to tell guys they couldn't come back. A couple guys moved on on their own but I do believe there were also a few that they talked to and said they wouldn't have a spot due to the roster crunch.
At the end of the day you have to put a roster on the field that is gonna be the most competitive and help you win games. If 14 brings back 5 guys who have "moved on" rather than bringing new recruits/transfers in than the program wasn't gonna be in a great spot competitively. This is the first time Minnesota has really had to push kids out but this happens all the time at most places and heck you look at other schools this fall and especially SEC and they will have 50+ man rosters and wait to cut guys until after fall ball and then those guys are scrambling at semester break to find a team for the spring.
Correct on what you said 100% but you dont either ask kids not to come back or cut kids because of a "roster crunch" then turn around and bring in transfers and/or more 22' players, What??! - And why couldn't those 5 guys be part of the competiveness? You recruited them for a reason...

Correct on what you said 100% but you dont either ask kids not to come back or cut kids because of a "roster crunch" then turn around and bring in transfers and/or more 22' players, What??! - And why couldn't those 5 guys be part of the competiveness? You recruited them for a reason...
14's job is to win the Big 10. If he made some recruiting mistakes in the past and kids aren't good enough to play at this level, he's doing many of them a favor by being honest and letting them know they probably need to find another home if they want to keep playing.
Obviously not ideal, and don't know all the ins and outs of what's going on there, but P5 athletics is serious business to those involved, fortunately or unfortunately. No one, including John, want to go through another year like last.

You sound like a father of one of the kids that got cut. Welcome to the big list of players cut from a ball club. It's the nature of the game.

So check me out here: I have 38 players:
UTILITY PERRY
RHP SEMB HAUSER DAUMON HOLETZ MELDONADO MALEC CLAUSEN KLASSEN THEISEN IRELAND SCHOBERL GURKA MASSEY CULLIVER
LHP ROONEY NOVOTNY DELUGA LIFFRIG ANDERSON KINGERY HALL
OF EVERSON JAMROZIAK GRIMM WILLHITE BATEMAN
INF COUNSEL STANKE STAHL BERGHAMMER BORK MERILA LARSON
C KELLY SWENSEN KELLY

Last edited:

So check me out here: I have 38 players:
UTILITY PERRY
RHP SEMB HAUSER DAUMON HOLETZ MELDONADO MALEC CLAUSEN KLASSEN THEISEN IRELAND SCHOBERL GURKA MASSEY CULLIVER
LHP ROONEY NOVOTNY DELUGA LIFFRIG ANDERSON KINGERY HALL
OF EVERSON JAMROZIAK GRIMM WILLHITE BATEMAN
INF COUNSEL STANKE STAHL BERGHAMMER BORK MERILA LARSON
C KELLY SWENSEN KELLY
I've got a it a little bit different. You're missing Chase Becker I think and I'm pretty sure Sweeny and Bertrand will be back for an extra season. I do not think Anderson and Jamroziak will be back. I've also seen it referenced in a couple places as Josh Kingery who was the PBR, perfect game, and gatorade player of the year in Minnesota this year will be a Gopher but never gotten confirmation. I wonder if Theisen is another guy I wonder if he is back or not.
I've got it as this and a lot of guys are just listed as 1 position but will play a few spots.
C-Chase Stanke, Cody Kelly, Riley Swenson-3
IF-Ronnie Sweeny, Boston Merila, Drew Stahl, Kyle Bork, Noah Berghammer, Brady Counsell, Jake Larson, Jake Perry, Chase Becker, Jared Everson-10
OF-Easton Bertrand, Brett Bateman, Andrew Wilhite, Otto Grimm, Jack Kelly-5
RHP-Josh Culliver, JP Massey, Sam Ireland, Trent Schoeberl, Michael Gurka, Aidan Maldonad, Richie Holetz, Will Semb, Joe Hauser, Randon Dauman, George Klassen, Seth Clausen, Sam Malec-13
LHP-Jack Liffrig, Noah DeLuga, Tucker Novotny, Josh Kingery, Noah Rooney, Dawson Hall-6
This roster would equal 37. Like I mentioned Kingery is the guy I'm most interested in whether he actual is a Gopher or not because I like his potential a lot and Theisen is the guy I left off that I think could be on. I still would like to find a way to add another proven hitter to the listed roster. Maybe the administration lets them go beyond the 37 with a couple listed guys likely being out with injuries. I know Rooney isn't likely to be available this season coming back from his knee injury.
Question marks-Bennett Theisen, Steve Jamroziak, and Will Anderson.

Top Bottom