All Things Gopher Baseball

Hope you're right about next year as this year is lost. Think you have to look a little at the recruiting and coaching if pitching struggles this badly, even considering injuries.

You follow this closer than I do so a serious, legit question. You point to Michigan adding roster spots (42) I think yiu said. What are all the other BIG teams doing? Like MN or like MI?
Honestly haven't looked at it real close. Looking at the usual other top teams in the conference Indiana and Ohio State are right around 45, Nebraska is like 38, Illinois is around 35, Maryland is 41, and Iowa is like 41. One other difference between those rosters is a team like Nebraska had 4-5 guys transfer out at semester after seeing where they are at fall ball. Minnesota baseball doesn't have many transfer outs at all, there have been a few guys who have just decided to be done with baseball but I honestly can't remember the last Gopher baseball player to transfer.

Ireland out for year along with Klassen. OUCH!!
Broadcast today seemed to think Ireland's shutdown was more precautionary with the injury and where they are this season no reason to push him to pitch again this year but I don't know for sure how serious his is. They also said he is the 4th scholarship pitcher out for the year. Ireland, Klassen, Anderson, and Horton I think.

Very difficult to compete when AD says to stay at 35 while other teams go to 42 with grad transfers that are grown men. Then add injuries and it is really bad.

You are so wrong. The 7 Michigan added are Pac 12 grads and studs.

The Gophers are 4-26. Are all the games that they have lost against teams stacked with grad transfers? 13 of the players on the roster are either seniors or red shirt seniors - not exactly a young team. They are just not playing very well.

I don't think we had 7 " studs" ready to commit and come here. If I'm wrong, please list the players. It's a bad year and 14 doesn't need people making excuses for him.

Might be some nervous days around draft time, could be a huge impact guy. Seeing why Colorado has emerged as another focus of Gopher recruiting.

Wolfson talks a little about extension talks between JA and Coyle towards the end and mentions it is far from a sure thing that Anderson is back. Would be pretty surprised by that and don't think that would be a move that would be met with anything but displeasure from a lot of important people.

Wolfson talks a little about extension talks between JA and Coyle towards the end and mentions it is far from a sure thing that Anderson is back. Would be pretty surprised by that and don't think that would be a move that would be met with anything but displeasure from a lot of important people.
Surprised by Anderson coming back? Or not coming back? He seems like a well-liked guy but this season has been miserable

Surprised by Anderson coming back? Or not coming back? He seems like a well-liked guy but this season has been miserable
I'd be shocked if Anderson isn't back because he wants to be back and has earned that over the years. John is all in and wants to sign an extension but the holdup seems to be on some language disputes in the contract and Wolfson mentioned both sides seem pretty firm in their stances on those right now. Would be a huge huge mistake in my opinion for Coyle to not find a way to make sure 14 is in maroon and gold next season.

Looking at the Purdue series preview this afternoon before tonight's game the program said they will honor 12 seniors although 1 is technically listed as a junior and then they are bringing back Jordan Kozicky as the 13th since he didn't get a senior day last year. Those listed are 7 pitchers Patrick Fredrickson, Nolan Burchill, Drake Davis, Bubba Horton, Danny Kapala, Ryan Duffy, and Tom Skoro. 1st baseman Ronnie Sweeny, 3rd baseman Jack Wassel, and outfielders Easton Bertrand, Drew Hmielewski, and Gabe Knowles. What I take from that list is it looks like 2 guys will return for a "extra" year in Jack Kelly and Josh Culliver, those are 2 of maybe 4 that I thought could be back.

Haven't seen anything official but the Purdue baseball account indicated there was a pregame ceremony today and that Anderson will be back next year.
Darren Wolfson however says as of 45 minutes ago no deal in place so who knows?

Last edited:

From all accounts that I've seen, Anderson is a man of principle and a fair guy for that matter as to what is right and proper. I'd be very disappointed if Anderson isn't back next year.

Thank God that mess is now over with. I don't see how they can keep McDevitt as the pitching coach, pitching staff was terrible. I know there were injuries, but

Thank God that mess is now over with. I don't see how they can keep McDevitt as the pitching coach, pitching staff was terrible. I know there were injuries, but
It was a miserable year but I'd be pretty surprised and personally a little disappointed if Ty isn't back. He is really really good on the recruiting trail especially looking at the 20, 21, and 22 classes. He is a highly respected pitching coach around the game and a young man who bleeds maroon and gold.
I think he took a couple chances on guys with great stuff and thought they could kind of fix their control issues and it didn't work.

Top Bottom