All Things Gopher Baseball

A late 2019 commit and a former Washington State commit who opened things up when they fired their coach. Stahl is a right handed hitting shortstop from Mountain Vista in Colorado the same high school as freshman to be Sam Ireland and transfer Jack Liffrig. Stahl has hit at the top of their lineup the last 2 seasons and been very solid at shortstop. He hit .391 this year and .444 last season and had 8 home runs this season as well as 5 in 2018.
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

A late 2019 commit and a former Washington State commit who opened things up when they fired their coach. Stahl is a right handed hitting shortstop from Mountain Vista in Colorado the same high school as freshman to be Sam Ireland and transfer Jack Liffrig. Stahl has hit at the top of their lineup the last 2 seasons and been very solid at shortstop. He hit .391 this year and .444 last season and had 8 home runs this season as well as 5 in 2018.
Super blessed and excited to be a Gopher next season! #gogophs pic.twitter.com/NisucXxbNy— Drew Stahl (@drew_stahl16) June 8, 2019

The freshmen class this year didn’t live up to what I had hoped for but the gophers seem to be recruiting at a much higher level over the past few years with a wider recruiting radius (CO kids, Fredrickson, deeper roots in IL, Bork et al). Exciting news and trending upwards after a so-so season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

On campus this fall?

Some interesting news that I've thought was coming for a little while now. https://www.twincities.com/2019/06/29/charley-walters-twins-derek-falvey-thad-levine-are-keepers/
Look for former Stillwater pitcher-outfielder Drew Gilbert, who last week was named Minnesota Mr. Baseball, to de-commit from Oregon State due to a coaching staff change within the Beavers. The Gophers could be among considerations.

Meanwhile, teammate pitcher Will Frisch remains committed to Oregon State and already is in Corvallis preparing for his freshman year.

WTF? Gilbert to Tenessee.
Definitely disappointing. Pretty much every team in the country was after him. He was supposed to visit LSU. Felt like the Gophers had a solid shot. The Tennessee choice is puzzling to me, I mean I know they are a team that is on the rise a little but just seemed like he had so many better options if the SEC was gonna be his choice.

2020 RHP out of Port Washington, Wisconsin. Currently ranked 6th in Wisconsin. Former Purdue commit that opened things up after their coach left for Oregon. Has been dominant this summer with a mid 90's fastball. Perfect Game has him as the #73 player in the 2020 class right now.

Last edited:

2020 RHP out of Port Washington, Wisconsin. Currently ranked 6th in Wisconsin. Former Purdue commit that opened things up after their coach left for Oregon. Has been dominant this summer with a mid 90's fastball. Perfect Game has him as the #73 player in the 2020 class right now.
Fantastic .

Reopened when Mizzou's hitting coach took a head job this summer. Brother Jack transferred here this summer.

I only pop in here occasionally to catch up but I love the updates Goldy Gopher, thanks for posting

I travel to see Gophers in Omaha at B1G Tourney. The players are so nice and usually get my son a ball and autograph it. Living in Western Iowa does have it perks being close to Omaha. Now time to see Gopher baseball in the CWS!!!

First 2022 is on the board. Left handed pitcher/1st baseman out of Waunakee, Wisconsin.

Gophers stay hot in recruiting. Novotny plays for Park of Cottage Grove and is a well put together LHP 6'5 230lbs. He is currently ranked 4th in the state for the 2021 class according to PBR.

Last edited:

This would be a very good thing for college baseball and there seems to be some real good momentum behind it.

This would be a very good thing for college baseball and there seems to be some real good momentum behind it.

New era but this has been proposed by northern coaches before to no avail.Great idea but it would crush Cape Cod, Northwoods and other summer leagues. Expect pushback. South loses some of its advantages too with delayed start. I’d love it but don’t expect it.

New era but this has been proposed by northern coaches before to no avail.Great idea but it would crush Cape Cod, Northwoods and other summer leagues. Expect pushback. South loses some of its advantages too with delayed start. I’d love it but don’t expect it.
Much more momentum with it now than previous experiences. You have some big time coaches already throwing public support behind it like TCU's Schlossnagle, Louisville's McDonnell, and even Vandy's Corbin. I like the summer leagues and check them from time to time but I'll be honest my first concern is college baseball and primarily how it affects Minnesota. The summer leagues would just have to expand to different levels. Still can get the non-tournament teams players at the beginning of July and play almost two months. I think this proposal may be adjusted a little bit but this is the first time with one of these proposals that it feels like something will actually get done.

No recent mention of the fact the Gophers (and MN) are probably going to have a top ten pick tomorrow?

No recent mention of the fact the Gophers (and MN) are probably going to have a top ten pick tomorrow?
Probably top 10 at minimum. ESPN had him going 5 to the Blue Jays. Strib and Pioneer Press have had a few articles about it.

I think Meyer goes to Seattle at 6 and at worst slips down to 10. Should be the 4th Gopher in history to go in the top 10 and could be the highest pick since Paul Molitor back in 1977.

Top Bottom