All Things Gopher Baseball

Sorry to hear that about George. Glad I missed the game yesterday. Ish

Nice to see the offense jump on a starter early. Had to have the win and got it 9-3. Holetz was a little shaky at times with command but made the pitches he needed to and gave a solid 6+. Wietgrefe was really good out of the bullpen. Hopefully build on that performance facing a NDSU team Tuesday that has been playing pretty well lately and then probably the best staff in the conference on the weekend with Iowa.

Indiana (7-2, 22-10, RPI 17) – After beating up on the scrubs (OSU and PSU) the Hoosiers showed they are for real by taking 2/3 from Iowa. Next up is a road series at Illinois where they hope to put a strangle on the Big Ten race.

Michigan State (6-3, 18-10, RPI 58) – Took 2/3 from the struggling Buckeyes. They are off this weekend before a big showdown in Ann Arbor against Michigan.

Michigan (6-3, 17-14, RPI 78) – Disappointing weekend for Michigan as they drop 2/3 to Nebraska at home.

Nebraska (4-2, 18-10-1, RPI 79) – Winning a series in Michigan was a big accomplishment for the Huskers. Next up is a 3-game series against the kitty-kats where they can cement themselves in the upper division of the Big Ten.

Maryland (4-2, 19-12, RPI 68) – Terps take 2/3 from Rutgers and continue to slowly right the ship. 4-2 record vs Iowa and Rutgers is pretty good.

Purdue (5-4, 14-16, RPI 237) – Took 2/3 from Minnesota. Next up is Penn State. Boilers have been EXTREMELY lucky in their schedule so far.

Minnesota (3-3, 8-22, RPI 241) – Dropping 2/3 at home against Purdue was very disappointing and really hurts their chances for a top 8 spot. Iowa comes to town next. Over/Under on the runs Minnesota scores over the weekend….I put at 8.

Northwestern (3-3, 5-21, RPI 267) – Never would have expected NW would take 2/3 from Illinois. Good for them.

Iowa (2-4, 19-8, RPI 57) – Couple weeks ago Iowa looked like they might position themselves to host a regional. Now they are just trying to stake a claim at being an at-large team. They should have an easy time against Minnesota this weekend.

Rutgers (2-4, 16-14, RPI 44) – Rutgers just cannot get any consistent momentum going. Their 2 losses to Maryland were by a combined 3 runs. Their RPI is still very solid. Up next is Michigan.

Illinois (3-6, 13-15, RPI 87) – Stick a fork in Illinois. I was higher on them a few weeks ago but losing 2/3 to Northwestern was horrible. Now they face the Hoosiers who are red-hot.

Penn State (1-5, 17-11, RPI 147) – Swept an awful Delaware State in non-conf this weekend. Up next is Purdue and Ohio State….some chances to put W’s in that column.

Ohio State (2-7, 15-15, RPI 99)

Schedule next weekend:
Michigan at Rutgers
Maryland at Ohio State
Penn State at Purdue
Indiana at Illinois
Iowa at Minnesota
Northwestern at Nebraska

Western Illinois @ Michigan State

Indiana (7-2, 22-10, RPI 17) – After beating up on the scrubs (OSU and PSU) the Hoosiers showed they are for real by taking 2/3 from Iowa. Next up is a road series at Illinois where they hope to put a strangle on the Big Ten race.

Michigan State (6-3, 18-10, RPI 58) – Took 2/3 from the struggling Buckeyes. They are off this weekend before a big showdown in Ann Arbor against Michigan.

Michigan (6-3, 17-14, RPI 78) – Disappointing weekend for Michigan as they drop 2/3 to Nebraska at home.

Nebraska (4-2, 18-10-1, RPI 79) – Winning a series in Michigan was a big accomplishment for the Huskers. Next up is a 3-game series against the kitty-kats where they can cement themselves in the upper division of the Big Ten.

Maryland (4-2, 19-12, RPI 68) – Terps take 2/3 from Rutgers and continue to slowly right the ship. 4-2 record vs Iowa and Rutgers is pretty good.

Purdue (5-4, 14-16, RPI 237) – Took 2/3 from Minnesota. Next up is Penn State. Boilers have been EXTREMELY lucky in their schedule so far.

Minnesota (3-3, 8-22, RPI 241) – Dropping 2/3 at home against Purdue was very disappointing and really hurts their chances for a top 8 spot. Iowa comes to town next. Over/Under on the runs Minnesota scores over the weekend….I put at 8.

Northwestern (3-3, 5-21, RPI 267) – Never would have expected NW would take 2/3 from Illinois. Good for them.

Iowa (2-4, 19-8, RPI 57) – Couple weeks ago Iowa looked like they might position themselves to host a regional. Now they are just trying to stake a claim at being an at-large team. They should have an easy time against Minnesota this weekend.

Rutgers (2-4, 16-14, RPI 44) – Rutgers just cannot get any consistent momentum going. Their 2 losses to Maryland were by a combined 3 runs. Their RPI is still very solid. Up next is Michigan.

Illinois (3-6, 13-15, RPI 87) – Stick a fork in Illinois. I was higher on them a few weeks ago but losing 2/3 to Northwestern was horrible. Now they face the Hoosiers who are red-hot.

Penn State (1-5, 17-11, RPI 147) – Swept an awful Delaware State in non-conf this weekend. Up next is Purdue and Ohio State….some chances to put W’s in that column.

Ohio State (2-7, 15-15, RPI 99)

Schedule next weekend:
Michigan at Rutgers
Maryland at Ohio State
Penn State at Purdue
Indiana at Illinois
Iowa at Minnesota
Northwestern at Nebraska

Western Illinois @ Michigan State
Thanks for the updates! I like how you go through each team....great way for me to keep up on the entire Big 10.

Back and forth game tonight. Defense was not sharp at all but the offense with 4 homeruns comes through in the 12-9 win.

Very entertaining game tonight. We go from 22 consecutive scoreless innings on offense to 24 runs in the next 17 innings. Let's keep the bats hot!

Too many free passes from Klassen and missed opportunities situationally for the offense. Really needed to come through with at least a run in that 2nd inning.

Extremely ugly game today. Two things that have been pretty reliable this year Holetz and the defense were not at all. Holetz constantly seemed to be in bad counts and the defense had like 6 errors. Bullpen came in and didn't fare any better.
Sitting at 4-5 after 3 B1G series isn't too bad however it won't get any easier. At Illinois feels like a must win type series for B1G tournament chances even if it is on the road.

Looking ahead 7 more conference wins would probably get you into the conference tournament based on history. Can we get there with @ Illinois, @ Nebraska, Michigan, @ Maryland, and Rutgers left?

Looking ahead 7 more conference wins would probably get you into the conference tournament based on history. Can we get there with @ Illinois, @ Nebraska, Michigan, @ Maryland, and Rutgers left?
Second half of conference schedule is definitely a challenge. Really feels like this weekend is a must-win series. Would love to see them have meaningful games down the stretch and not be buried in the standings.

Rough one today. A pair of 2 run home runs in 4th and Illinois cruises to the victory. Too many walks issued. Their hitting and pitching were better than ours in this one.

Was worried that bust of a 2nd inning would come back and haunt and it did. Have to put up a crooked number in that situation.
Man was the homeplate ump horrendous today.
That go ahead homerun for Illinois was one of the weakest I can recall, talk about wind aided.

Was thinking same thing - was hoping a pitch could find Swenson's barrel or Bateman could have come through, but not to be. We seem to not get the soft runs that other teams are scoring on us.

That home run seemed to be in the air for a long time and didn't land far behind the fence.

Not that record wasn't going to be unsightly anyway, but hoping the season doesn't go completely south.

What a punch in the nuts that was!
Gophers just couldn't ever get that shutdown inning when they scored. Gophers score 2, Illinois answers with 1, Gophers get 1 Illini get solo homer, Gophers score 2 in the 9th and Illinois gets 3.
Thought Brett Bateman had ended that with a great catch.
Moreman was definitely out that should've ended the game. Big Ten needs to have review at every park.
Clausen's breaking ball is good enough where they need to use it more, first pitch fastball call on the walkoff was terrible from I'm guessing Crawford calls the pitches. You knew the kid was gonna be geared up and that is what he had been hitting all weekend. I'm sure it wasn't supposed to be middle up either but still a breaking ball the easy call from anyone who has any baseball experience.

Baseball team is tied with Nebraska at 4-4 in the bottom of the fourth on BTN. Gophers jerseys are fire.

Not getting that 3rd run from Perry in the 1st and then Counsell's first pitch double play with bases loaded will be the difference in this one.

That popup bunt into a double play is now scared into my mind. Why am I watching this?

Mezzenga hits a sculder into short that is misplayed. Tying run scores to make it 5-5 in the top of the ninth.

And a single loads the bases.

Weee! A walk gives the Gophers a 6-5 lead.....and then Hokenson hits a base clearing double to make it 9-5. Suck it, Huskers.

Huskers can't beat the Gophers. Football....baseball....square dance.

Gophers certainly missed some chances they really need to score on but they showed that they just continue to battle. Bateman and Merila had a heck of a night. Big time by Hokenson to come through left on left after a horrendous at bat from Swenson, I really really hope we see very little of him these next few weeks give me Hunt or Neels behind the plate instead. Rooney let things get a little scary there and I certainly would have turned to Clausen earlier but he came in and was nails, good to see the staff adjust and lean on his breaking ball.

Gophers certainly missed some chances they really need to score on but they showed that they just continue to battle. Bateman and Merila had a heck of a night. Big time by Hokenson to come through left on left after a horrendous at bat from Swenson, I really really hope we see very little of him these next few weeks give me Hunt or Neels behind the plate instead. Rooney let things get a little scary there and I certainly would have turned to Clausen earlier but he came in and was nails, good to see the staff adjust and lean on his breaking ball.
That was 3 great hooks by Clausen to end the game against a really good hitter. Where were those curves in the Illinois game? Hopefully the coaches have some faith in that pitch now. I am glad he got the chance to get right back in the battle and come out on top.

Top Bottom