All things good dogs

Winnipegopher

Wag more, bark less
Reaction score
One thing we call agree on np matter the political leaning is that good dogs are one of the better things in life. Please post your doggie related material here.

I'll start with this twitter thread on the recent passing of Rusty, Winnipeg's top canine celebrity. Rusty was a good boy. #RIPRusty

Dogs are a huge part of the Ogee household. I lost 2 dogs later last year, a 12+ year old yellow lab (Bogey) and my hunting partner, a 6-yr old German Shorthair Pointer (Tuff). Just devastating. Killed a lot of birds with Tuff.

Picked up two more "started" dogs for house and hunting, both labs. It's just hard to beat a lab. Just a fantastic overall dog. I went the started dog route again (10-11 months old, strong foundation of obedience and hunting/retrieving) because I'm don't dealing with puppies and everything that comes with it. Just too much work. Sure, I paid for the started dogs but it's worth it! A black lab named Teddy and a yellow lab named Doc (the only minor downside of the started dog is they were already named but oh well).

Along with being companions and family members, they're also the first line of home defense. I can't see ever being without a big dog, preferably 2

I've got two dogs as well, but I can't imagine not having them as puppies. They're so dang cute and fun to bond with them at that age.

Dogs are a huge part of the Ogee household. I lost 2 dogs later last year, a 12+ year old yellow lab (Bogey) and my hunting partner, a 6-yr old German Shorthair Pointer (Tuff). Just devastating. Killed a lot of birds with Tuff.

Picked up two more "started" dogs for house and hunting, both labs. It's just hard to beat a lab. Just a fantastic overall dog. I went the started dog route again (10-11 months old, strong foundation of obedience and hunting/retrieving) because I'm don't dealing with puppies and everything that comes with it. Just too much work. Sure, I paid for the started dogs but it's worth it! A black lab named Teddy and a yellow lab named Doc (the only minor downside of the started dog is they were already named but oh well).

Along with being companions and family members, they're also the first line of home defense. I can't see ever being without a big dog, preferably 2

I am sorry for your loss, the six year old must have been really tough- that's too young to lose a dog. We lost a 10 year old beagle to lymphoma three years ago and it was hard.

I am also a 2 dogs person. We have 2 puggles (pug/ beagle crosses- wonderful temperament and more obedient than a beagle), one 12 and the other almost 9. We adopted the 9 year about six months after we lost the beagle and it has worked out great. I recommend to all dog owners that 2 is easier than 1- I really believe this.

Given our success with the last dog, I don't think I will get a puppy again. There are such good older dogs to get and you don't deal with the training. Never had a bigger dog but have a real soft spot for Bermese Mountain dogs so you never know.

My favorite thing about our dog is whenever someone yells out in distress (like if you stub your toe), she immediately comes over to you, lays down and puts her chin on whichever body part she can reach. Nobody taught her this, it's just built-in unconditional empathy.

My favorite thing about our dog is whenever someone yells out in distress (like if you stub your toe), she immediately comes over to you, lays down and puts her chin on whichever body part she can reach. Nobody taught her this, it's just built-in unconditional empathy.
My girlfriend does that! (y)

Haha, labs as first line of home defense? If they are anything like my two, home invaders will be licked to death or maybe tire of dog play. Labs really are the best!

Haha, labs as first line of home defense? If they are anything like my two, home invaders will be licked to death or maybe tire of dog play. Labs really are the best!
No doubt, but they SOUND like trained human killers! If anyone got in the door though, game over

No doubt, but they SOUND like trained human killers! If anyone got in the door though, game over
Apparently dogs are useful deterrents just by being there. Most thieves are just looking for a quick in and out. The dogs add a level of hassle that make them move on to the next house.

My boy is a ten year old 60lb standard poodle. (We cut him to look like a dog.) He still flies across the field behind my house like the great athlete that he is, just not as often. I miss the days when he was a young dog who was a highly opportunistic kitchen counter surfer. Now he's a mellow dude who likes to be wherever we are in the house. We hope he's around for a few more years. We'll get another dog when he's gone, but he won't be replaceable.

Was just having a convo yesteday with a co-worker about aging, agreeing that the way to live is to stay fit and healthy and only suffer a sizable loss of quality of life over the last few months of your life, succumbing to whatever gets you.

That was our lab mix, who we lost 13 years ago this coming May at the age of 15-1/2. As they say and we said at the time, it was a good run. Was healthy as a horse well into his 16th year.

That guy should have had wings, he was such an angel.

We have a 11-12 year old Jack Russell mix that my wife rescued awhile back when we were still just dating. Some of you may know that I used to work in minor league baseball. We did a Bark in the Park event where the Humane Society would bring out dogs up for adoption. That's where we got Maggie. Incredible dog. We've always wondered how someone could have given her up.

This is the little sh*t that lives in my house. Like children, I dislike most domesticated animals except my own.

1582313375847.png

We have a 11-12 year old Jack Russell mix that my wife rescued awhile back when we were still just dating. Some of you may know that I used to work in minor league baseball. We did a Bark in the Park event where the Humane Society would bring out dogs up for adoption. That's where we got Maggie. Incredible dog. We've always wondered how someone could have given her up.

We adopted ours straight from the previous owner. She got Oppie when she was single. A few years later shacked up with a guy and had a kid. They then split up and a dog and a baby was too much for a single mom. He dropped 10 pounds in the first month we had him just by walking. She claimed he had stress issues but he was just bored. She made the right decision to give him up and we made the right decision to take him.

We have a Norfolk Terrier that thinks he’s a Golden Retriever b/c we had a Golden (below) when we got him. Tough little dude. Squirrels make him nuts.
0580755C-C455-4E86-8082-C30D7A9C9B9B.jpeg
The Golden was the best dog. Great companion, calm demeanor.
9108982F-62F0-46B2-ACDA-30EBFD499D10.jpeg
My son has a Vizsla (below). Funnier than heck. High energy. Really high energy.
5F04B1A4-ABF8-4394-AB81-50E8151F8D15.jpeg053360B3-538A-4FBA-8C80-688F2A03BF0E.jpeg
Got to love dogs.

Im a cat man out of convenience. They instinctively know how to use litter boxes, display quite obvious ESP and instruct my ways each day. I'd love dogs too, just not a good fit for a townhouse dweller.

Last edited:

Kansas dog makes 50-mile trek to her old home in Missouri

A dog named Cleo who disappeared from her home in Kansas earlier this month turned up a few days later at her old home in Missouri, about 50 miles (80 kilometers) away.

Colton Michael told television station KMBC that the 4-year-old Labrador retriever-border collie mix showed up on the front porch of his family’s home in Lawson, which is about 30 miles (48 kilometers) northeast of Kansas City.

At first, she wouldn’t let anyone get near her, said Michael, who has lived in the home for nearly two years.

“She finds her way home, and there’s some strangers living in it. That would be scary for anybody,” he said.

Eventually, he was able to gain Cleo’s trust and to get her checked for a microchip, which showed that she belonged to the former owners of his house.

Cleo’s owners, who had moved to Olathe, Kansas, about 50 miles (80 kilometers) southwest of Lawson, couldn’t believe it when Michael called and said the dog had turned up at their old home. They had posted on Facebook a week earlier about the missing dog. Neither family knows how Cleo made the trip, which would have required her to cross at least one river.

Go Dogs!!

We have a mini schnauzer (see above). I like to take him to the dog park so he can run with the big dogs. Mostly so he gets taken down a peg.
This is the little sh*t that lives in my house. Like children, I dislike most domesticated animals except my own.

View attachment 7146
This is our new family member, Penny--a mini schnauser, like yours! My daughter adopted her in Dallas when she was there for an internship, and she's been home with us now for nearly three weeks. She turned three months old yesterday. Just the best little puppy, but she's a puppy, so she's a very busy little dickens. She joins our 11 year-old poodle mix, who's taking this better than I expected. I was worried Chloe would kill or maim Penny, and I think we're past the point of that being a possibility.

20200719_090848.jpg

No dog at this time, but I do watch a lot of dog videos on The Dodo channel on Youtube.

This is our new family member, Penny--a mini schnauser, like yours! My daughter adopted her in Dallas when she was there for an internship, and she's been home with us now for nearly three weeks. She turned three months old yesterday. Just the best little puppy, but she's a puppy, so she's a very busy little dickens. She joins our 11 year-old poodle mix, who's taking this better than I expected. I was worried Chloe would kill or maim Penny, and I think we're past the point of that being a possibility.

View attachment 8813
That's a cat! Any dog that is much less than knee-high is a C-A-T Cat.

View attachment 8813
Yeah, looks exactly like ours did as a puppy. I was surprise by how fast they grow. Full grown at about a year. We're doing some reactive training with ours because he is overly reactive -- everything from other dogs to butterflies.

Top Bottom