All Things About Golf

I've tinkered with a weaker grip on occasion, with mixed results
Ok, please, PLEASE, help me out here. I can never remember which grip is which (weak vs. strong) and can NEVER remember which one supposedly influences which ball flight. My confusion is two-fold. First off, I have ALWAYS used the same grip (both "Vs" pointing at my right shoulder - I am RH), so likely considered neutral - so I never experiment, at least not lately. I don't understand what "weak" and "strong" refer to.

Help!

Ok, please, PLEASE, help me out here. I can never remember which grip is which (weak vs. strong) and can NEVER remember which one supposedly influences which ball flight. My confusion is two-fold. First off, I have ALWAYS used the same grip (both "Vs" pointing at my right shoulder - I am RH), so likely considered neutral - so I never experiment, at least not lately. I don't understand what "weak" and "strong" refer to.

Help!
The farther the v’s point to the right is a stronger grip. The more the grip is in your left hand is in the fingers=strong. If you place the grip in the palm of your left hand=weak.

Help!

Donovan showed a good illustration of it in their response. To me it sounds like you have a really solid neutral grip; I wouldn't think twice about it, you're in better shape than most before you even take the club back.

I only tinker with weakening my grip to minimize the amount I can tend to move the ball right-to-left; it's a bandaid to hide what's obviously a bigger swing flaw. It's not like I hit a big nasty hook all day long; I just move it more than I would like, with the occasional "topspin lob" ball flight with the driver. For the most part, I hit my irons pretty straight, or a soft draw. I'm the worst driver of the golf ball for a single digit handicap you've ever seen.

I think the weather challenges in Rochester, NY are demonstrating why it's either US Open or bust as far as Men's Major Championships in the Twin Cities area for the foreseeable future.

Captain Obvious.

At $52/dozen I get the all out effort to find his ProV, but this was over the top.

Watching it unfold live was rather bizarre, and unfortunately fruitless for Kim. Unique look to finish his round, but he kept grinding. Respect.

PGA Championship has been very entertaining so far. Weather looks like it's going to be 70 degrees and sunny for the final round. Perfect. Lots of guys in the mix too.

PGA Championship has been very entertaining so far. Weather looks like it's going to be 70 degrees and sunny for the final round. Perfect. Lots of guys in the mix too.
It's petty and vindictive but I actively root against LIV players. I could stomach Koepke holding on to win but Dechambeau is another story. I'll be on the Sheffler and Rory train tomorrow. Hopefully it comes down to the wire. Block has been a great story.

It's petty and vindictive but I actively root against LIV players. I could stomach Koepke holding on to win but Dechambeau is another story. I'll be on the Sheffler and Rory train tomorrow. Hopefully it comes down to the wire. Block has been a great story.
There's a lot to dislike about Dechambeau that has nothing to do with LIV. Agree on Block, really cool.

I'm pulling for the son of Norway, Hovland.

I don't care about the eventual outcome, Block is the winner today. I hope he has Insurance!

Augusta needs to give him a special invitation.

I've never seen one go in that clean before on the fly....
I jarred one in just like that about 12 years ago but I was playing alone and it was my 3rd ball off the tee. So a hole-in-five I guess... Not exactly worth calling the local newspaper.

The ace was amazing, of course. But there's a certain amount of luck that goes into any hole-in-one.

This shot, though... final hole, and he needs to get up and down to get the bid to qualify for next season's PGA Championship at Valhalla. What a shot under pressure...

I've never seen one go in that clean before on the fly....
It's tough (almost impossible) to do lobbing in a wedge from like 50 yds out, much less a 7 iron from 150.

I loved watching Rory's reaction both after the Ace and through the last hole. Really fun.

I have to think Block would get considered for some Sponsor's Exemptions into a few PGA Tour events (say the 3M?), but I wonder if he's even interested in that.

It's petty and vindictive but I actively root against LIV players. I could stomach Koepka holding on to win but Dechambeau is another story. I'll be on the Sheffler and Rory train tomorrow. Hopefully it comes down to the wire. Block has been a great story.
At least Koepka didn't wear any of that silly LIV Team Logo gear like DeChambeau or Mickelson. Nike billboard only.

I have to think Block would get considered for some Sponsor's Exemptions into a few PGA Tour events (say the 3M?), but I wonder if he's even interested in that.

I should have googled before I put that out there. Block is already in this weeks event The Colonial in Ft Worth and The Canadian Open after that.

He'll have to work in the US Open Qualifier sometime soon as well.

The ace was amazing, of course. But there's a certain amount of luck that goes into any hole-in-one.

This shot, though... final hole, and he needs to get up and down to get the bid to qualify for next season's PGA Championship at Valhalla. What a shot under pressure...

As it turns out, ignorance is bliss. He had no idea where he stood (by design) as far as making the Top 15 on #18.

A week ago, played a round of golf with a friend of mine and his college age son. The friend was submitting his entry for a PGA Championship Golf Pool at his club. Criteria as I understood it:

1 golfer inside Top 10
1 golfer Top 10 - 30
1 LIV Previous Major Winner
1 Wild Card (not in any of the above categories)

After he submitted his picks, the kid also wanted in but asked for help. My suggested picks: Scheffler-Hovland-Koepka-P Casey. My advice was followed.

Casey eventually WD so I am not sure if they were able to change, but otherwise 1-T2-T2, so I hit the trifecta, but not for my benefit.

I did not have Michael Block on my radar.

The Majors are there own entity, they set their own rules and will set their field as they see fit. I don't anticipate any of the LIVers being banned from any of them. They could be persuaded by the PGA and Euro Tour to take some action, but I doubt it.

Any Major winner gets a 5 Year exemption to the other 3, so both DJ (2020 Masters) & Phil (2021 PGA) will be eligible for the next few years. For Phil that really only matters for the US Open. He's won the other 3 so as former Champion he's eligible for the Open until age 60 and the PGA and Masters for life. DJ won the US Open in 2016 which gets him a 10 year exemption through 2026 for that event.

Any non-Major winner could have difficulty though. For example the Majors usually save spots for the Top 30 of the PGA Tour from the previous year. If the players are no longer in good standing, they could cancel their invitation.

If they are not Major winners, starting next year, I suspect they will have to rely on the spots reserved based on World Ranking or for the US Open and Open, have to go the local/regional qualifying route.

Another impact to be seen is Ryder Cup eligibility. The Ryder Cup is not affiliated with the PGA Tour, but it uses results from those events to determine the squads. Could still be eligible as Captains picks though.

As "click bait" has been thrown around in other threads the Headline title of this article is extremely irritating.

Sergio did not find a "loophole."

Qualify is part of the Tournament as a smart guy pointed out along 12 months ago above. It's called The US Open for a reason.

Showing how golf glory can be fleeting, Michael Block after Rd 1 at The Colonial was Dead Freaking Last with an 81 yesterday. He did have a remarkable par off a bridge though.

He rebounded a little with a 74 today, but still is 120th (out of 120).

Back to work.

Showing how golf glory can be fleeting, Michael Block after Rd 1 at The Colonial was Dead Freaking Last with an 81 yesterday. He did have a remarkable par off a bridge though.

He rebounded a little with a 74 today, but still is 120th (out of 120).

Back to work.
It's not surprising. It's been an emotional week for him I'm sure.

It's not surprising. It's been an emotional week for him I'm sure.
Agreed, emotionally drained and all the interviews he did probably meant his game was not in shape.

It also demonstrates how his performance the previous week was all the more remarkable. I really hope with a full week off and some time at the range he can make a run at his US Open Qualifier, which I would guess is a week from Monday.

Upside for me right now is that I have already been out 4 times this year after several years of only getting in a few late season rounds.

The downside is I have played incredibly poorly all four rounds. I'm in one of those stretches where I'm doing absolutely nothing well. I shot a freaking 111 on purple hawk in Cambridge this Thursday. That's about 15 strokes higher than I usually shoot on that course.

Top Bottom