All Things About Golf

This could have significant implications towards the long term viability of the LIV. It would eliminate a path for LIV golfers to get World Ranking points on the European Tour and gain eligibility into the majors.

Just flipping channels last Sunday I stumbled on the LIV broadcast being aired on the CW. Ick. Watched for 2 minutes and flipped it back to the Twins.

Music blaring, annoying graphics, ginned up "teams"...silly.

This could have significant implications towards the long term viability of the LIV. It would eliminate a path for LIV golfers to get World Ranking points on the European Tour and gain eligibility into the majors.

Just flipping channels last Sunday I stumbled on the LIV broadcast being aired on the CW. Ick. Watched for 2 minutes and flipped it back to the Twins.

Music blaring, annoying graphics, ginned up "teams"...silly.
I don't see how it's going to survive. It's not appealing at all to most golf fans.

In good shape for the weekend! I actually had a light sprinkling of action on Koepka at 40-to-1 odds and have some action on Rahm just to cover my bases, although I don't usually bet on the more heavy favorites. Rahm had just been playing too well this year to not hedge a little bit with him.

Hopefully they get in the 3rd round today and can finish on schedule tomorrow

Looks like they'll have a few hours to get in at least some of the 3rd round today. Heavier rain will move back in after 1 PM CT/2 PM ET.

Will they play through it? I'm assuming they will have to stop at some point because it'll get too heavy and everything will be too wet.

In good shape for the weekend! I actually had a light sprinkling of action on Koepka at 40-to-1 odds and have some action on Rahm just to cover my bases, although I don't usually bet on the more heavy favorites. Rahm had just been playing too well this year to not hedge a little bit with him.

Hopefully they get in the 3rd round today and can finish on schedule tomorrow
Even with the lead, Koepka will have to prove he's a "mudder". He got really fortunate with the late Thur/early Fri starts.

I would guess if the leaders can get 7 or 8 holes in today at least, they'll be able to finish Sunday.

And unfortunately that will be it for today

I got plenty of golf viewing in this morning and I could have streamed, but I thought it was aggravating the Masters didn't allow CBS to show the beginning of Rd 3 Live.

It will be on CBS live tomorrow at 7:30 AM (CDT).

I think today shows why crowning a Champion/Tournament winner after 54 holes is just silly.

Hats off to Rahm, a very deserving winner and overcoming a 4 putt on his very 1st hole of the week.

What Phil did today was amazing, maybe more unbelievable than winning the PGA 2 years ago.

I gotta imagine the PGA was really happy Rahm won and not Koepka.

I gotta imagine the PGA was really happy Rahm won and not Koepka.

I'm not sure it really matters, considering LIV guys took 2A and 2B, and made a lot of noise doing it.

At the end of the day, the fans are who really won with how things played out. This shows how much the fans really need both the PGA Tour guys and the LIV guys and that the decision for the LIV guys to be invited was the correct one.

I was torn, I kind of wanted Koepka to win, but I won more money with Rahm winning. Win-win

Got out for my first two rounds of the year yesterday. For some reason....they always go much better than expected. Maybe it was the few times going to simulators over the winter.....but more likely it is dropping bad habits picked up the prior year.

Got out for my first two rounds of the year yesterday. For some reason....they always go much better than expected. Maybe it was the few times going to simulators over the winter.....but more likely it is dropping bad habits picked up the prior year.
I always feel that happens with me too. My first few rounds of the summer are usually pretty good and then downhill from there.

Alright, time to sound off about your golf game.

Do you move the ball left-to-right, move it right-to-left, mostly straight, or you flat out don't know where it's going when you step up to the ball?

And, how hard is it for you to go against your primary tendency and move it the other way?

I move the ball right-to-left, a decent draw (okay, every rare now and then a big hook:)). I have a hard time hitting a fade on command, about the best I can do is I can slice it good if I'm behind a tree or obstruction and need to slice it around that object; open the stance, open the face a little and take a pretty exaggerated outside-in swing path.

I'm going to start working with a pro in the next week or two to see if I can start playing a fade. It's just much easier to control, better ball flight, lands softer, and will usually get you in less trouble.

Beers 1-3: going left
Beers 4-6: pretty straight
Beers 7-10: going right

I’m sorta joking but there’s a lot of truth of how my round normally goes.

Natural swing is a fade. Both in baseball/softball and in golf. From a very young age, I have always been able to square up a fade/slice in either sport. When I am playing well, I can step up to the tee, aim left edge of the fairway, open my stance slightly, rock *slightly* on my backswing and swing like I’m Sam Snead (famous hard-swinger).

Years ago, I forced myself to learn how to influence a draw, in order to be able to reign in a bad slice day and to have a more complete understanding of swing mechanics. It has definitely helped. I can’t always find it on the course, but when I can take that from the range to the tee box, I step up pretty confidently. I cannot hit a hard draw on-command (if really at all, except for rare occasions when I stumble on it on the range, while experimenting).

I strongly recommend trying to figure out how to hit opposite your natural and warming up hitting both. It helps me anyway.

Last edited:

Natural swing is a fade. Both in baseball/softball and in golf. From a very young age, I have always been able to square up a fade/slice in either sport. When I am playing well, I can step up to the tee, aim left edge of the fairway, open my stance slightly, rock *slightly* on my backswing and swing like I’m Sam Snead (famous hard-swinger).

Years ago, I forced myself to learn how to influence a draw, in order to be able to reign in a bad slice day and to have a more complete understanding of swing mechanics. It has definitely helped. I can’t always find it on the course, but when I can take that from the range to the tee box, I step up pretty confidently. I cannot hit a hard draw on-command (if really at all, except for rare occasions when I stumble on it on the range, while experimenting).

I strongly recommend trying to figure out how to hit opposite your natural and warming up hitting both. It helps me anyway.

Ordinarily, I probably wouldn't care that much but the private course I joined a couple of years ago, a fantastic Nicklaus track, holes #17 and #18 are significantly left-to-right holes. Very few holes anywhere REALLY favor one shot shape that much over another but these do, and obviously holes #17 and #18 are money-making time when the match is usually on the line, so struggling on those two holes is no bueno.

It's amazing how hard it is to fight your tendency. I set up on #18 last night, opened the stance a little bit, slightly opened the face, tried to come outside-in at least a little bit and just pounded it dead straight on a rope. It worked out great, but I just shook my head that I couldn't cut the ball even just a little bit.

Ordinarily, I probably wouldn't care that much but the private course I joined a couple of years ago, a fantastic Nicklaus track, holes #17 and #18 are significantly left-to-right holes. Very few holes anywhere REALLY favor one shot shape that much over another but these do, and obviously holes #17 and #18 are money-making time when the match is usually on the line, so struggling on those two holes is no bueno.
Nicklaus is obviously the most prolific left-to-right player ever. No big shock on that design. Sounds perfect!!

It's amazing how hard it is to fight your tendency. I set up on #18 last night, opened the stance a little bit, slightly opened the face, tried to come outside-in at least a little bit and just pounded it dead straight on a rope. It worked out great, but I just shook my head that I couldn't cut the ball even just a little bit.
You could try taking the club back a *little* more inside of your normal backswing. (Rule #1 on golf course adjustments - as I'm sure you know - is no big adjustments - save those for the range.) I do the opposite to try to hit a draw. Taking it inside early can result in a figure 8 swing path that comes outside-in on the downswing. Worth a shot?

If you want to hit it long and straight, just pay close attention to Paige Spiranac. She's great for the game of Golf!

Paige Spiranac Shows How to Hit It Long
giphy.gif

Nicklaus is obviously the most prolific left-to-right player ever. No big shock on that design. Sounds perfect!!
This is true. Although I've heard Jack on record saying he's a major "second shot" proponent when it comes to design. My course is SUPER liberal and forgiving off the tee (except for 17 and 18), but accuracy and yardage control into the greens is paramount.

You could try taking the club back a *little* more inside of your normal backswing. (Rule #1 on golf course adjustments - as I'm sure you know - is no big adjustments - save those for the range.) I do the opposite to try to hit a draw. Taking it inside early can result in a figure 8 swing path that comes outside-in on the downswing. Worth a shot?

I take the club back WAY too inside right now as it is, (on video review it's so much so that it scares the shit out of me) and finish with a very inside-out swing path.

I'll figure it out. Like I said, I'm going to start working with one of the pros in the clubhouse in the next week or two. Thought I'd get a handful of rounds under my belt before doing any real work, I didn't really play from about Halloween until a few weeks ago.

This is true. Although I've heard Jack on record saying he's a major "second shot" proponent when it comes to design. My course is SUPER liberal and forgiving off the tee (except for 17 and 18), but accuracy and yardage control into the greens is paramount.

I take the club back WAY too inside right now as it is, (on video review it's so much so that it scares the shit out of me) and finish with a very inside-out swing path.

I'll figure it out. Like I said, I'm going to start working with one of the pros in the clubhouse in the next week or two. Thought I'd get a handful of rounds under my belt before doing any real work, I didn't really play from about Halloween until a few weeks ago.

Ball will fade if the club face is open relative to the path of the swing. Often times all the adjustments you cite work together to create the same path to the left. Try taking a weaker grip and pay attention to where/when your left hand rolls over to close the face.

Ball will fade if the club face is open relative to the path of the swing. Often times all the adjustments you cite work together to create the same path to the left. Try taking a weaker grip and pay attention to where/when your left hand rolls over to close the face.

I've tinkered with a weaker grip on occasion, with mixed results. I have a relatively neutral grip as it is, the right-left ball path isn't coming from my grip, I've ascertained that much. It can help mitigate things, and but I'd rather spend some time addressing the primary source.

It's a minor thing, it's not like I've got the major hooks; I would just prefer to move the ball a different way, a more controllable and more reliable ball flight

I've tinkered with a weaker grip on occasion, with mixed results. I have a relatively neutral grip as it is, the right-left ball path isn't coming from my grip, I've ascertained that much. It can help mitigate things, and but I'd rather spend some time addressing the primary source.

It's a minor thing, it's not like I've got the major hooks; I would just prefer to move the ball a different way, a more controllable and more reliable ball flight
Yeah, me too. My game has been a mess the last couple years.

Top Bottom