All Things About Golf

I saw that too, very cool. Quite the roller coaster year for Rory. Great win for him, kind of came up short in a few majors, and of course put himself front and center in the whole LIV controversy. Good for him, happy he was able to pull off the comeback this week.

I had Rory at 11-to-1 odds on Thursday, along with a few others. I went against chalk with Scheffler and to start the final round, I had small bets on each of the next 4 guys that were chasing Scheffler, just needing him to drift back to the pack. Sungjae Im at 30-to-1 would have been a much nicer payout but happy to have Rory get the win and come out ahead!

Been doing just a tiny bit of dabbling in betting on golf and I'm here to tell you, it's funner than shit. Damn. You spread out a few $10 or $20 bets on 4-5 players, watch them go at it down the stretch.

Last week, I put about $20-$25 each on Xander S, Morikawa, Finau, Justin Thomas, and the winner Patrick Cantlay. All of them were somewhere around 15 or 20 to 1. I think for about $120 investment I came away with $335 or something.

At any rate, if you're a golfer, it definitely makes the golf tournaments a little more fun and spicy to watch on Sunday.

For the Tour Championship this weekend at East Lake, I like Xander first and foremost (his record in the last 3 years at this course, he has improved his position from start to finish better than anyone), and Rahm and Justin Thomas have also played well there historically. I may throw something small like $10 on Cantlay because he's been playing really well.

Totally agree. I started betting head to head matchups this year....and I think it's just as much fun as betting football.

Also...I think this is the first time I've paid attention to the Tour Championship. It's really cool and is a big deal to the players. Obviously the nearly $20 million dollar purse is major. Think they've got to do something about the staggered starting leaderboards though. A ten stroke lead for the points leader is too much, imo.

This may be worth a look if/when it finally hits the big screen.

Jonah Hill has been tabbed to play John Daly in a golf movie about the iconic PGA Tour golfer's life; the good, the bad and the ugly.

Jonah Hill To Play John Daly In Movie

Gotta believe big John is signing off on this, so I would think it would be fairly accurate? I would hope so. Should be entertaining

Per Axios Sports:

The Super Bowl isn't the only marquee event happening this week in Arizona, Jeff writes.

Driving the news: The Waste Management Phoenix Open, known for its party-like atmosphere and iconic 16th hole, begins today at TPC Scottsdale, 32 miles east of State Farm Stadium and SB LVII.

The intrigue: The field is stacked thanks to this being one of 13 "elevated events" this season — tournaments with increased prize money and guaranteed participation by the PGA Tour's biggest names.

• 23 of the world's top 24 golfers who are eligible to participate (i.e. those not part of LIV Golf) will be among the field of 134 players teeing it up in Scottsdale.
  • That includes world No. 1 Rory McIlroy and No. 3 Jon Rahm — who've combined to win seven of their last 14 events — plus No. 2 Scottie Scheffler, the reigning champ.
The bottom line: The Phoenix Open always feels like a party. Now it feels a bit like a major, too.

Go Tom Lehman!!

A cool little side story to Sam Ryder's ace last year.

Per Axios Sports:

The Super Bowl isn't the only marquee event happening this week in Arizona, Jeff writes.

Driving the news: The Waste Management Phoenix Open, known for its party-like atmosphere and iconic 16th hole, begins today at TPC Scottsdale, 32 miles east of State Farm Stadium and SB LVII.

The intrigue: The field is stacked thanks to this being one of 13 "elevated events" this season — tournaments with increased prize money and guaranteed participation by the PGA Tour's biggest names.

• 23 of the world's top 24 golfers who are eligible to participate (i.e. those not part of LIV Golf) will be among the field of 134 players teeing it up in Scottsdale.
  • That includes world No. 1 Rory McIlroy and No. 3 Jon Rahm — who've combined to win seven of their last 14 events — plus No. 2 Scottie Scheffler, the reigning champ.
The bottom line: The Phoenix Open always feels like a party. Now it feels a bit like a major, too.

Go Tom Lehman!!
That tournament is nuts. It's like one of those 4 day music festivals. Entertaining for sure. Just a bunch of drunks. I need to get my ass out there and partake................

Per Axios Sports:

Go Tom Lehman!!

My sister always works concessions on Thursday at the WMO. When I ask how much beer is sold, her answer - way too much.

When choosing which round to go (if I can only go to one) to at a tournament (with a cut) my choices - in order:

4th
2nd (cut day)
1st
3rd

When choosing which round to go (if I can only go to one) to at a tournament (with a cut) my choices - in order:

4th
2nd (cut day)
1st
3rd

I actually really like practice rounds during a tournament, especially a Major. Obviously the tickets can be way cheaper but the players are much looser, more talkative, more accessible, and honestly more fun.

If you want to check out a PGA event, especially a Major, and don't want to pay for a round everybody wants, go to a practice round. You'll see the whole course, you can either follow a player the whole round and probably communicate with you, or hang out on a few different holes and see everyone.

Another cool thing can be the range. If you REALLY want to see just how good those guys are, watch one of the top players hit balls for a while. I once watched Padraig Harrington bang half a bucket of balls with a 5-wood, off the deck, and not miss a shot.

4th
2nd (cut day)
1st
3rd
4th round is actually my least favorite. Too hard to follow the progress of contenders, may be following one group but miss a key shot of the others. I prefer to watch the final round on TV. Plus by the final round after the cut, may not get to see favorite players or they may be totally out of contention.

Case in point, 2008 Bob Hope in Palm Springs (5th/Final Round) I followed the lead group for the entire back 9, Justin Rose & John Rollins who were battling out a couple of strokes ahead of the group right in front of them. Well, Charley Hoffman swooped in and made a birdie on #17 and eagled 18 to tie Rollins and force a playoff (which he won). Other than the playoff, I saw him maybe 2 shots on the back 9.

My ranking:

1st - Everyone starts equal and get to see all players in the field. Action on both 9s spreads the gallery out.
3rd - Moving day.
2nd - Cut drama.
4th - Winner.

The way I do the 4th round is I usually do a lot of jumping. Usually during the last 3 groups (the winner more times than not comes from the top 6).

Once I figure out the real contenders (within 3 shots at the turn) I try to get get down the fairway to see each group tee off, then jump to a green to see some putts.

I have been usually pretty good at seeing most of the important shots in the final round.

On 1st vs 2nd round, I prefer the cut drama, especially if a group has 2 players at or 1 stroke above the cut line.

This is just classic. Nice move, Mr. Woods!

Tiger Woods Gifts Justin Thomas A Tampon; Plug Up And Shut Up

Golf gambling is back!! This week, I got Scheffler at 10-1, Justin Thomas at 16-1, Xander Shauffele at 16-1, and my long shot is Adam Scott at 55-1. Scott has played well at Riviera before and he should be riding high after being named chairman of the PGA Tour Player Advisory Council

'Full Swing' on Netflix is very good. Eight part documentary following a couple different pro golfers for each episode.

Interesting story on LIV golf's problems. From day one I've believed that this league will implode within 5 years of it's birth. I think the Saudi's will eventually decide to pull the plug on this money pit.

Lynch: Saudis have Greg Norman to thank for their U.S. legal nightmare​

a snipet:
Deadlines now loom by which the Saudis must show a good faith effort to meet their legal obligations, but the likelihood of the Public Investment Fund or Al-Rumayyan submitting to probing by PGA Tour lawyers is about the same as Norman finally getting that green jacket. That raises the prospect of LIV’s antitrust claim being withdrawn or dismissed, which would strand players as castaways on Greg’s Gilligan’s Island and force a reckoning on the Saudi commitment to a product that can’t gain traction in the only market that can confer serious commercial viability.

Interesting story on LIV golf's problems. From day one I've believed that this league will implode within 5 years of it's birth. I think the Saudi's will eventually decide to pull the plug on this money pit.

Lynch: Saudis have Greg Norman to thank for their U.S. legal nightmare​

a snipet:
Deadlines now loom by which the Saudis must show a good faith effort to meet their legal obligations, but the likelihood of the Public Investment Fund or Al-Rumayyan submitting to probing by PGA Tour lawyers is about the same as Norman finally getting that green jacket. That raises the prospect of LIV’s antitrust claim being withdrawn or dismissed, which would strand players as castaways on Greg’s Gilligan’s Island and force a reckoning on the Saudi commitment to a product that can’t gain traction in the only market that can confer serious commercial viability.
The LIV is on the CW tomorrow/Sunday. I can't wait to miss it.

The LIV is on the CW tomorrow/Sunday. I can't wait to miss it.
You were not the only one that missed it:

What, the Charles Howell III vs. Peter Uihlein duel didn’t capture your imagination? You weren’t alone. John Ourand of Sports Business Journal reported that the overnight rating for Saturday’s LIV Golf debut on the CW Network was a .2 in 26 metered markets. That is a very bad number, suggesting LIV drew a smaller audience than CW staples like "World’s Funniest Animals."

Yeah. I was watching "The Flash" on the CW Network (hey, I have low-brow tastes....) and a freakin' ad for LIV golf came on TV.

I would like to know the financial arrangements in this deal. who is paying whom in order to feature LIV on an American TV network - albeit a network that is under new ownership and is scrapping most of its original programming to save money.

FWIW - in 2022, the CW was ranked as the 25th most-watched network with average viewership of
574,000 in prime time - down 29% from the previous year. It was ranked behind such TV juggernauts as Bravo, Lifetime and MeTV. (but ahead of TV Land and A&E)

Big tournament at Arnie's Bay Hill tourney; all the big guns are back in action.

Cashed a nice 22-to-1 ticket on Chris Kirk winning last week, great end to the weekend!

I like Jason Day and Viktor Hovland this week for longer odds; betting on chalk just isn't that much fun. I've got a bunch of other really small bets in play, always love taking a few flyers on some long shots.

On a different note, anyone watched very much of "Full Swing" on Netflix yet? I'll check it out at some point, but I need to find the right time and place to sit down for that. I've heard mostly good things, I'm interested to see the off-course contrast between the superstars who are traveling by private jet and the guys who are just struggling to keep their card sounds pretty interesting.

Well, this does not sound good for Eldrick.

It’s always nice to know that even the best in the world have things like this happen to them.

I know the feeling man.

Last edited:

Weather in Augusta Friday - Sunday is looking to be rather soggy & chilly. At this point I would be really surprised if it finishes on Sunday as scheduled.

Weather in Augusta Friday - Sunday is looking to be rather soggy & chilly. At this point I would be really surprised if it finishes on Sunday as scheduled.

I'll be surprised if they get any golf in on Saturday.

Top Bottom