All Things About Golf

I thought it was an entertaining US Open. I've liked Matt Fitzpatrick since he won the US Am, also at Brookline, with his kid brother hauling his clubs around.

Also at the Hazeltine Ryder Cup in 2016 he was subject to some severe heckling. That Friday afternoon he was not in the the lineup but on the range working on his game. A large booming voiced bellowed out "HEY FITZPATRICK, WHAT TIME IS YOUR MOM PICKING YOU UP?!?!" Even a couple of Euros started to chuckle.

Still does not really look old enough to drink, but he's got a Major at age 27.

Mickelson was right. The PGA needed competition.

Lo and behold, they're increasing payouts and creating a better schedule due to LIV.

Workers have a lot of power if they're willing to use it.

Mickelson was right. The PGA needed competition.

Lo and behold, they're increasing payouts and creating a better schedule due to LIV.

Workers have a lot of power if they're willing to use it.
More limited field no cut events. Meh...

More limited field no cut events. Meh...
That's for a few tournaments. Others with bigger payouts will cover the entire field.

Working conditions are also improving.

You have to earn your way into those events. By either winning (Tournament of Champions) or being in the World Top 64 (WGC events)
I get it, just those don't interest me much, but neither do the vast majority of regular PGA Tour/WGC events.

Tiger magic not happening at the Old Course. +6 thru 16 and T146. He does have the upper hand over David Duval though.

The British Open is coming down to the wire. Really entertaining final round. Pulling for Rory.

Last edited:

Cam Smith with an absolutely incredible putting exhibition. Just unreal.

The British Open is coming down to the wire. Really entertaining final round. Pulling for Rory.

It was a really entertaining last round except I had $10.00 on Rory at 8.8 to 1 and $10.00 on Hovland at 45 to 1. Almost.....

Henrik Stenson has been sacked as the Euro Captain in 2023 at Rome in the wake of his decision to go LIV. The event will have a really different feel with so many new faces. Hopefully not too subdued.

If this continues I have to wonder if Hazeltine is having 2nd thoughts about hosting again in 2029 (would have been 2028 but delayed 1 year due to COVID) instead of trying to get another Major.

Henrik Stenson has been sacked as the Euro Captain in 2023 at Rome in the wake of his decision to go LIV. The event will have a really different feel with so many new faces. Hopefully not too subdued.

If this continues I have to wonder if Hazeltine is having 2nd thoughts about hosting again in 2029 (would have been 2028 but delayed 1 year due to COVID) instead of trying to get another Major.
If anything this will make the European team more together and more resolved to winning on home soil. Not sure they will have the talent left to win, but Rory will definitely have the troops ready to go. I am sure hazeltine is not having any second thoughts based on what I can only assume is huge amount of money it made when it hosted last time.

If anything this will make the European team more together and more resolved to winning on home soil. Not sure they will have the talent left to win, but Rory will definitely have the troops ready to go. I am sure hazeltine is not having any second thoughts based on what I can only assume is huge amount of money it made when it hosted last time.
Sure the Euros will have some talent issues, however the US will be wet behind the ears too without Koepka, D Johnson, Reed and DeChambeau presumably. Perhaps more.

Finally going to make it to Bandon Dunes next week to check out the courses there; been on the list for well over 20 years. They used to have 3 courses ranked in the Golf Digest Top 50 Courses every year (Bandon Dunes, Bandon Trails, Pacific Dunes), at this point they now have FOUR courses ranked roughly in the Top 70 or so with the opening of Old McDonald a few years back. They just hosted the USGA Junior Amateur Championship last week.

Been wanting to check it out before planning a guys golf trip out there sometime down the road, looking forward to seeing if it's everything it's hyped up to be. Short turnaround, playing 72 holes in barely 45 hours and Bandon is 100% walking. Should be awesome!

Finally going to make it to Bandon Dunes next week to check out the courses there; been on the list for well over 20 years. They used to have 3 courses ranked in the Golf Digest Top 50 Courses every year (Bandon Dunes, Bandon Trails, Pacific Dunes), at this point they now have FOUR courses ranked roughly in the Top 70 or so with the opening of Old McDonald a few years back. They just hosted the USGA Junior Amateur Championship last week.

Been wanting to check it out before planning a guys golf trip out there sometime down the road, looking forward to seeing if it's everything it's hyped up to be. Short turnaround, playing 72 holes in barely 45 hours and Bandon is 100% walking. Should be awesome!
Going next summer. Can't wait.

Just got back from Cabot in Nova Scotia (owned by the same group as Bandon and Sand Valley). I would highly recommend a trip there. It was amazing.

5 courses in the top 50...don't forget Sheep Ranch that just opened (last year?)

5 courses in the top 50...don't forget Sheep Ranch that just opened (last year?)
Sheep Ranch must be lower on the list? I didn't see it when I was looking at the last rankings. For some reason, I did everything I could to play the other 4 and wasn't concerned with SR. I'll catch it on another trip!

Sheep Ranch must be lower on the list? I didn't see it when I was looking at the last rankings. For some reason, I did everything I could to play the other 4 and wasn't concerned with SR. I'll catch it on another trip!
Oh you know what...it isn't ranked yet because they do those rankings early season and I don't know if they have done 2022 ones yet. If they have done 2022 ones it hasn't been added. Guessing that since it was brand new last year they're giving it a moment to warm up haha. I'm sure it will be top 50 like the others.

Going next summer. Can't wait.

Just got back from Cabot in Nova Scotia (owned by the same group as Bandon and Sand Valley). I would highly recommend a trip there. It was amazing.

It was way, way, WAY too short of a trip, but it was just absolutely incredible. Wow. You at least need to be in some kinda shape since it's 100% walking, especially if you're doing any 36-hole days. The only issue I really had was foot wear choice probably. I don't have a lot of golf shoes that are primarily geared to heavy walking; I would make sure you are prepared with that. I have blisters on each pinky toe the size of my pinky toe, but I made it without much trouble. I even carried my own bag for the entire second round of my 36-hole day just to give my caddie a break because he was carrying my wife's bag. I hadn't carried my bag for 18 for probably 15 years or more, but I play better when I'm walking and carrying, and I really enjoyed it if you have a really solid carry bag.

Old McDonald was the only one that I would the slightest gripe about; being one of the newest courses, the greens weren't very mature, a mixture of Poana and whatever other grass it was (I don't know my golf grass), so they didn't roll GREAT, but it was fine. They'll get better with age and maturity.

I made the "mistake" of playing the black tees for 3 of my 4 rounds; kind of in that school of thought where you should play a course for the first time from the tips, "see the whole course", etc. It didn't look that long, Old McDonald is the only one remotely near 7,000 yards, but the damn ball just doesn't go anywhere. You're at sea level, it's 65 degrees, and it's heavy humid ocean air. I was clubbing down at least 1 to 1.5 clubs on every shot which made it tough to make a lot of birdies.

My last round, at Bandon Trails, I played with an older couple from Laguna Beach and played the next tee up from the tips, the Green tees at Bandon; enjoyed the round a whole lot more, didn't feel like I had to crush every drive, just enjoyed things more. Not completely regretting playing the tips, but I probably won't do it again unless everyone in my group is a sub-8.0 handicap.

Had a couple people ask me to compare it to Pebble and it's just different. Pebble Beach is much more of a bucket list, destination, and maybe a little "ritzy" kind of a place where people are there to check it off the list, a luxury trip, etc. Bandon Dunes is definitely more of a golfer's destination; since I booked VERY last minute, I was paired with groups every one of my 4 rounds and I didn't play with a "bad" golfer. I think a high-handicapper would definitely enjoy it, but they would struggle to shoot much of a number.

I'm actually going to plan on going back there often if I can, like a few times a year easily. It's not a difficult trip from LV, a quick turnaround 2-day, 2 round trip wouldn't be bad (although I want to plan some group trips there that are 3-4+ days).

HIGHLY, highly recommend it for avid golfers!!

per Shama:

Tom Lehman, 63, had right knee replacement surgery a few weeks ago but when recovered he plans to resume playing on the PGA senior tour. Jim Lehman, 64, described his brother as “young at heart” and looking forward to continuing the pro golf career that began in 1982 after being an All-American for the Gophers.

Jim’s Minnetonka-based Medalist Management company represents pro golfers including Tom who in 1978 walked-on with the Gophers, initially having no scholarship offer. It’s easy not to get noticed in the golf world growing up in Alexandria, Minnesota but Tom, who has over $13 million in career earnings, is the only male Minnesotan ever to win one of golf’s biggest tournaments.

In 1996, three weeks after finishing second in the U.S. Open, he won the British Open. He was the leading money winner and Player of the Year in 1996.

“Think about that,” Jim said. “A kid from Alexandria, who was never even recruited to play college golf. Not even the University of Minnesota recruited him and he goes on to be the No. 1 player in the world. I don’t know about you, but I think that’s pretty incredible.”

Go Tom Lehman!!

Been doing just a tiny bit of dabbling in betting on golf and I'm here to tell you, it's funner than shit. Damn. You spread out a few $10 or $20 bets on 4-5 players, watch them go at it down the stretch.

Last week, I put about $20-$25 each on Xander S, Morikawa, Finau, Justin Thomas, and the winner Patrick Cantlay. All of them were somewhere around 15 or 20 to 1. I think for about $120 investment I came away with $335 or something.

At any rate, if you're a golfer, it definitely makes the golf tournaments a little more fun and spicy to watch on Sunday.

For the Tour Championship this weekend at East Lake, I like Xander first and foremost (his record in the last 3 years at this course, he has improved his position from start to finish better than anyone), and Rahm and Justin Thomas have also played well there historically. I may throw something small like $10 on Cantlay because he's been playing really well.

Some significant changes to the PGA Tour announced:

Some significant changes to the PGA Tour announced:

I've been following this too.

Soooooo, we HATE those dirty LIV folks and their whole setup and how they do their tournaments and what they stand for but...... we're going to now do a whole bunch of stuff almost exactly the same way LIV does it... Hmmmm....

Last edited:

I've been following this too.

Soooooo, we HATE those dirty LIV folks and their whole setup and how they do their tournaments and what they stand for but...... where going to now do a whole bunch of stuff almost exactly the same way LIV does it... Hmmmm....
But the PGA Tour isn't doing the 54 hole garbage that the LIV has instituted.

Top Bottom