All Things About Golf

What are some of you guys favorite courses around the metro area that aren't ridiculously expensive? Golf has become an awfully expensive hobby ever since I started playing religiously last year. Hit my first 300+ yard drive on Saturday....even though I average closer to between 235-250. Downhill shot that hit the perfect placement on hole 10 at Gopher Hills. Played Legends after that one....damn nice course.

Since most days that we get out (typically once per week) me and a buddy play 36.....it's never bad idea to have some decent courses without having to break the bank. If anyone gets out towards Annandale.....I've found that both of their courses (Albion Ridges and Whispering Pines) are a good value for what they charge. Whispering Pines especially on weekdays for twilight. I've golfed quite a few rounds there for under $30.

What are some of you guys favorite courses around the metro area that aren't ridiculously expensive? Golf has become an awfully expensive hobby ever since I started playing religiously last year. Hit my first 300+ yard drive on Saturday....even though I average closer to between 235-250. Downhill shot that hit the perfect placement on hole 10 at Gopher Hills. Played Legends after that one....damn nice course.

Since most days that we get out (typically once per week) me and a buddy play 36.....it's never bad idea to have some decent courses without having to break the bank. If anyone gets out towards Annandale.....I've found that both of their courses (Albion Ridges and Whispering Pines) are a good value for what they charge. Whispering Pines especially on weekdays for twilight. I've golfed quite a few rounds there for under $30.
If you have played Gopher Hills, I assume you have tried Cannon Falls GC? I really like the mix of holes especially since they redesigned the #4 fairway and added a couple of new holes on the back to make it a par 72. Hidden Greens and Bellwood Oaks are quality tracks that I have frequented.

Mt Frontenac is also tough to beat as far as value and a few scenic views of the Mississippi River/Lake Pepin.

If you have played Gopher Hills, I assume you have tried Cannon Falls GC? I really like the mix of holes especially since they redesigned the #4 fairway and added a couple of new holes on the back to make it a par 72. Hidden Greens and Bellwood Oaks are quality tracks that I have frequented.

Mt Frontenac is also tough to beat as far as value and a few scenic views of the Mississippi River/Lake Pepin.

I played Cannon Falls GC once last year. Can't say that I remember it much. Haven't made it down to Mt Frontenac. That's a bit of trek coming from northwest of the cities....not that it would stop me. Those courses near the St. Croix are typically pretty nice. The Mississippi Nation Highlands course is one of our favorites. Some really cool holes.....and their greens are some of my favorites. Not too fast....not too slow.

I played Cannon Falls GC once last year. Can't say that I remember it much. Haven't made it down to Mt Frontenac. That's a bit of trek coming from northwest of the cities....not that it would stop me. Those courses near the St. Croix are typically pretty nice. The Mississippi Nation Highlands course is one of our favorites. Some really cool holes.....and their greens are some of my favorites. Not too fast....not too slow.
Willinger's is the sister course to Legends, same designer/owners just a bit further south. Much sterner test but not as pricey. Pretty good deal there on Tuesday for the budget conscious. 2 really distinct 9s, front is almost links style that circles around a huge marsh. Back is quite wooded (built on a tree farm) similar to what you see on the Brainard Trail.

If you haven't played it, you should try to check it out in fall just as the leaves are changing.

Willinger's is the sister course to Legends, same designer/owners just a bit further south. Much sterner test but not as pricey. Pretty good deal there on Tuesday for the budget conscious. 2 really distinct 9s, front is almost links style that circles around a huge marsh. Back is quite wooded (built on a tree farm) similar to what you see on the Brainard Trail.

If you haven't played it, you should try to check it out in fall just as the leaves are changing.

Still only about an hour drive from me. I'll have that one on my list. Looks nice.

A great 36 hole value is The Links at Northfork. Located in Ramsey, a little way up highway 10 to the northwest. Replay rate is CHEAP. Great track. Wide open fairways for the most part. Large greens. Always in great condition. They even have a 3 hole practice loop, free to play with a paid green fee. Highly recommend.

I also second the Willingers vote.

Played Northfork for the first time about a month and half ago for a friends cancer charity tournament. Nice course. Definitely like courses with cheap replay rates. Like I said....I typically like to play 36 on a weekend day. Wild Marsh is great for a full day because of that too. Believe I was charged $20 or so earlier this year to do another full 18.

A great 36 hole value is The Links at Northfork. Located in Ramsey, a little way up highway 10 to the northwest. Replay rate is CHEAP. Great track. Wide open fairways for the most part. Large greens. Always in great condition. They even have a 3 hole practice loop, free to play with a paid green fee. Highly recommend.

I also second the Willingers vote.

Good to know. I was just fishing the river right by there today. I always tell myself I need to check it out and have never gotten around to it.

Still only about an hour drive from me. I'll have that one on my list. Looks nice.
The only goofy hole is #11, short par 4 dogleg right, need to tee off with a hybrid/iron. Go too far and you head down a canyon. If it's not super crowded, I would advise driving up quick to the 150 stake to look at the approach.

The only goofy hole is #11, short par 4 dogleg right, need to tee off with a hybrid/iron. Go too far and you head down a canyon. If it's not super crowded, I would advise driving up quick to the 150 stake to look at the approach.
Excellent advice. I actually think it's a very good hole. Tough green. Favor left side of fairway, as there's more room that direction, bringing you closer on the approach.

I think #11 is a good hole. #13 is the hole I despise. One of the worst par 4s anywhere.

Excellent advice. I actually think it's a very good hole. Tough green. Favor left side of fairway, as there's more room that direction, bringing you closer on the approach.
Goofy might not have been the best adjective (except if you are playing sight unseen). Knowing it's out there, it's up to the player on what to do, so fair in that respect. With increased technology it can be fun in a scramble to take a rip at the green.

I think #11 is a good hole. #13 is the hole I despise. One of the worst par 4s anywhere.
Just a guess, you're a righty that hits the ball with a draw (right to left)?;)

Not as bad with the brush cut down between that hole and the adjacent #16 fairway.

Not as bad with the brush cut down between that hole and the adjacent #16 fairway.
That is true. But I don’t think that has anything to do with why I think that hole is terrible. I’ve played that course 100 times and my opinion has never changed. The guys I play with are generally in agreement.

The 17th and 18th at my club are just about the only holes on the course that really favor moving the ball left-to-right, and I move it right-to-left. Many a rounds have gone down in flames on those two holes by tossing one or two balls OB off the tee. Just a shitty way to end a round. At least yesterday I pounded my second drive, threw an 8-iron to 6 feet and made the birdie/bogey putt to salvage a 5. Still shitty.

So in short, YES, I certainly think the way a player favors moving the ball can have a big impact on what they think of certain holes!

Van Rooyen won The Barracuda. It's not the St. Jude, but it's a tour win, big payday, tour exemptions for 2 years, invitations to the major tournaments, and he should now have enough points to participate in the Fex Ex Cup.

Go Gophers!

Van Rooyen won The Barracuda. It's not the St. Jude, but it's a tour win, big payday, tour exemptions for 2 years, invitations to the major tournaments, and he should now have enough points to participate in the Fex Ex Cup.

Go Gophers!
Professional golf is an absolute grind. Winning an event - no matter which one - is huge, for all of the reasons you cite. Maybe the ability to play in events without having to fight for his life just to get there will relax him and he will have more success. Great for the program!

Me and a buddy played 27 there yesterday after 18 at Mississippi National. Both came away impressed. Can definitely see the connection to Legends, albeit being a bit more of a budget course when compared to the more upscale Legends. Definitely a good value, especially if you play later in the afternoon. $47.50 twilight rate on the weekends is a bargain for a course that nice. Couple notes....nice carts, but they could really use GPS. I can't imagine that being a major financial burden. Also....holy sand traps. I've never played a course with sand traps that aggressive. Both minor things. Fun course in great condition. We'll definitely be returning.

One note on Legends while we're at it. Another very nice course. Should be considering the cost. I've NEVER played a course with fairways giving so much action. Was really messing with me because I have a slice that I'm working hard on correcting. But every shot, especially off the tees, looked like they hit a trampoline. My brother said that I'm just not used to playing nice courses. Somewhat fair. Me and my buddy tend to hit more midrange courses because we like to play a couple rounds and don't want to spend a couple hundred dollars (him more than me). But I cannot recall The Meadows, Deacons Lodge, or Troy Burne being like that.

Me and a buddy played 27 there yesterday after 18 at Mississippi National. Both came away impressed. Can definitely see the connection to Legends, albeit being a bit more of a budget course when compared to the more upscale Legends. Definitely a good value, especially if you play later in the afternoon. $47.50 twilight rate on the weekends is a bargain for a course that nice. Couple notes....nice carts, but they could really use GPS. I can't imagine that being a major financial burden. Also....holy sand traps. I've never played a course with sand traps that aggressive. Both minor things. Fun course in great condition. We'll definitely be returning.

One note on Legends while we're at it. Another very nice course. Should be considering the cost. I've NEVER played a course with fairways giving so much action. Was really messing with me because I have a slice that I'm working hard on correcting. But every shot, especially off the tees, looked like they hit a trampoline. My brother said that I'm just not used to playing nice courses. Somewhat fair. Me and my buddy tend to hit more midrange courses because we like to play a couple rounds and don't want to spend a couple hundred dollars (him more than me). But I cannot recall The Meadows, Deacons Lodge, or Troy Burne being like that.
Glad you enjoyed Willinger's. Interesting on the lack of GPS. I know they had it at one point, the deals they had with sponsors must have expired.

Last edited:

All balls are different when it comes to wear and tear, at least that I've found. That's just another thing I like best about the Titleist Pro V1 and V1X; they just wear a lot better than others I've found. I've played with a Pro V1 for 45 holes without any trouble. I've played some others that look like they got run over by a truck after 10-15 holes.

Probably could have another thread on just different balls alone. I went into this year thinking I might try one of the Taylor Made TP's; gave them a little bit of a shot, I honestly can't say if they are as good or better or not as good as the Titleist. I tried a couple dozen Bridgestone's and I did like those a fair amount as well, just not sure if it was enough to make it the main ball I put in play. I think the Srixon players ball is a decent ball too but I haven't hit it enough to give it a fair shake.

At the end of the day, as my old golfing/hunting buddy says, it's not the arrow, it's the Indian. Same goes for clubs too really.

At the end of the day, as my old golfing/hunting buddy says, it's not the arrow, it's the Indian. Same goes for clubs too really.

I agree with your buddy. I've had a single digit handicap since high school. Since then I think I've purchased no more than one or two boxes of balls and received a few more as gifts. Other that that I've always played with balls I find on the courses I play. And although I occasionally buy new drivers, putters and wedges, I have been using my current set of Ben Hogan irons for more than 25 years (and I bought them used). I've only owned three sets of irons in my life: a starter set when I was 12; a used set of Hogan irons I won in a caddy tournament when I was 14; and my current set of Hogan irons.

Lose golf balls far too easily to care what I am hitting.

Ia used set of Hogan irons I won in a caddy tournament when I was 14
Caddying and caddy tournaments. Free play on Monday mornings. I caddied for a year or two.

Last edited:

Van Rooyen continues his fantastic run to end the year. He finished in 5th at the BMW today and officially qualified for the Tour Championship next week.

He made a big payday today, and he's guaranteed a massive check next week.

Hopefully he can keep it going next season.

Go Gophers!

Yes, it's been a good month for Van Rooyen.

BMW: 5th, $380,00
Northern Trust: 7th, $320,000
Wyndham: 26th, $26,560
Barracuda: 1st, $630,000

Plus, he's guaranteed at least $380,000 for making it to East Lake. Not to mention the two year exemption and the invites to the majors and WGC.

The Cantley/DeChambeau dual down the stretch on the Back 9 and SIX hole playoff was one of the best golf events I have seen, including Majors.

Top Bottom