All things Gil Fash

highwayman

Knows Less Than Coaching Staff
Reaction score
This next November will be the 50th anniversary of quarterback Gil Fash’s greatest day. The 4th string Minnesota QB returned to his home Illinois and led the Gophers to a 19-16 victory over the Illini.

Fash was 2 of 10 for 50 yards and three interceptions, but his second completion was a game winning pass to Dale Hendrickson.

It was my dad’s favorite game for many years after. Now nearly 50 years on, Gil Fash is still a legend to our family. In fact, many times when we are watching a sporting event, whether on TV or in person, his name will come up. If an unheralded player makes a great play, we give him the "Gil Fash Award".

IIRC that game was on TV which was a rare event back then. I think that the Hendrickson TD play had a little counter action in the backfield and Fash hit him was he was backing into the end zone. Again, correct me if I am wrong, but I think that Fash was recruited by Warmath as a drop back passer. Then Stoll came in with the Houston veer and Fash was not a fit at all. But he hung in there and helped lead the Gophers to a great victory in Champaign. Wonderful memory.

Can't recall a game the Gophers managed to win with more woeful statistics. They were outgained by 440 yards to 83. They scored their first touchdown on a return of a blocked punt and their second when they were gifted with the 5th Ilinois lost fumble, this one at the Illini 4-yard line. It was scored by Larry Powell, a back with great promise who was struck down with some kind of autoimmune disease, I believe. Trailing 16-12, the Gophers promptly recovered their 6th Illinois fumble and Fash hit that big pass with 3:24 left. Amazing.

Great memory from what was a pretty fun season, 6-2 Big Ten record. Fash was strictly a Sunday-to-Friday QB up to that point. Like denguegopher said, the game was a rarity in those days as it was actually televised. Now every game across the country is televised on one of a multitude of networks.

Can't recall a game the Gophers managed to win with more woeful statistics. They were outgained by 440 yards to 83. They scored their first touchdown on a return of a blocked punt and their second when they were gifted with the 5th Ilinois lost fumble, this one at the Illini 4-yard line. It was scored by Larry Powell, a back with great promise who was struck down with some kind of autoimmune disease, I believe. Trailing 16-12, the Gophers promptly recovered their 6th Illinois fumble and Fash hit that big pass with 3:24 left. Amazing.
It was still a great Gopher victory! During the Wacker years it seemed that we would frequently outgain opponents by 250 yards and lose. I think that Paul Glanton blocked and returned the kick for a TD. Nomellini your summary brings back great memories, but for some reason I'm thinking that it was a blocked field goal rather than a punt, but I could easily be wrong. Yes, Powell had French Polio which I think they now call Guillone-Barre(sp) Syndrome. Also not sure, but I think that recovery is possible from that condition. Gil Fash earned his scholarship with his performance in that one game!

Top Bottom