All Things Former Gophers Thread

Ben is a former gopher basketballer - he originally chose NW and then left when Jorim Young came to NW. a real baller

Their teams are a combined 36-3.
Carr & Mashburn are their team's leading scorers. Kalscheur is second leading scorer.

Liam Robbins is Vanderbilt's (7-6) leading scorer & rebounder. Also 4th nationally in blocked shots.

It’s still weird to me that Robbins, Gabe, and Carr (and many others I don’t know about) are playing college basketball. Happy for them, as they certainly got robbed of the full experience with covid, but I still can’t fully reckon it.

NM probably close to achieving their goal with hiring Pitino. He’s got them on the national radar and has elevated their profile.

To ward off potential rebuke: much different job than MN. He’s had a good nonconf, and doesn’t have to go coach in conference against guys who have been at the highest level for 20 years.
Rutgers knocks off Purdue and their #1 Ranking for the second year in a row- leaving NM as the only undefeated D1 team left - good for Richard- always liked him

Rutgers knocks off Purdue and their #1 Ranking for the second year in a row- leaving NM as the only undefeated D1 team left - good for Richard- always liked him
I was thinking about him this morning. I guess we were his starter home: the house you do your learning on and make all your mistakes with so you can start with a clean slate at your next residence and make it your dream home.

I was thinking about him this morning. I guess we were his starter home: the house you do your learning on and make all your mistakes with so you can start with a clean slate at your next residence and make it your dream home.
Pitino was never as good as we hoped he would be here and never near as bad as some painted him to be. The U put him in a very tough position with a job that is a severe up hill climb for an experienced coach, much less an inexperienced one.

The next AD then followed that up by doing the same thing all over again. Hopefully Ben gets momentum in time to survive it. Richard lost his and never could quite recover and our locals never accepted him as one of us. I like Ben and hope he succeeds- maybe being a local will help. It is good to see Pitino having some success.

It’s still weird to me that Robbins, Gabe, and Carr (and many others I don’t know about) are playing college basketball. Happy for them, as they certainly got robbed of the full experience with covid, but I still can’t fully reckon it.
Marcus Carr is crazy to me.

He's older than Zion Williamson and the same age as Luka.

Liam Robbins had 22, 7 and 6 last night as Vanderbilt toppled South Carolina.

Liam Robbins had 22, 7 and 6 last night as Vanderbilt toppled South Carolina.
Wise man who saw his future and took another path. When he saw there was no interest in keeping his mentor and with an incoming inexperienced head coach he weighed the best opportunity to develop and moved. TT could learn from LR.

Wise man who saw his future and took another path. When he saw there was no interest in keeping his mentor and with an incoming inexperienced head coach he weighed the best opportunity to develop and moved. TT could learn from LR.
Those two are not similar but I would move on if I was TT if nothing changes the rest of the season. Writing is on the wall.

Those two are not similar but I would move on if I was TT if nothing changes the rest of the season. Writing is on the wall.

TT could be a servicable player under a different program. I.E. Wisc's program has a history with low rated taller players. Crowl and Wahl are the most recent examples.

But that's assuming TT wants to leave MN and he sees himself as more than a 2 to 5 minute a game player.

TT could be a servicable player under a different program. I.E. Wisc's program has a history with low rated taller players. Crowl and Wahl are the most recent examples.

But that's assuming TT wants to leave MN and he sees himself as more than a 2 to 5 minute a game player.
TT played 40 minutes in one of our four conference wins last season. Played an important role in that win too. This somehow got him more minutes on the bench. Every time he plays well he gets less playing time. Was good enough to play in the final 10 minutes of our previous 2 games that we won, but somehow not good enough to get greater than 0 minutes against Wisconsin. He should be looking elsewhere as Ben has no intention to make him a regular part of the rotation and has recruited over him in multiple classes.

TT played 40 minutes in one of our four conference wins last season. Played an important role in that win too. This somehow got him more minutes on the bench. Every time he plays well he gets less playing time. Was good enough to play in the final 10 minutes of our previous 2 games that we won, but somehow not good enough to get greater than 0 minutes against Wisconsin. He should be looking elsewhere as Ben has no intention to make him a regular part of the rotation and has recruited over him in multiple classes.
Playing TT increases the chance of winning which isn’t in the plan til 2027.

Per Shooter:

—Ex-Gophers 7-footer Liam Robbins is Vanderbilt’s leading scorer, averaging 12.9 points, leading rebounder (6 per game) and top shot blocker (2.9 per game).

Go Gophers!!

Lil'Richy has a team!!! Mashburn is really good. All 3 guards are studs.

Lil'Richy has a team!!! Mashburn is really good. All 3 guards are studs.
33 points 2 rebounds 0 assists in 43 minutes last night.

imagine having a off guard like him who can create on his own off the dribble!!
although the few high lights i have seen of him this season he chucks/forces up shots but hes making them!

Lower half to middle sounds pretty good
We'll be there next season.
Richards team lost in triple overtime to Nevada last night.
The MW isn't a smash mouth, tough defense league. Richard fits into that league. Good for him to find a fit. It's just like Alford at Nevada. He bombed out at Iowa and UCLA. He has a groove in the MW.
The MW is a different style and league. It's fun and relaxed. It's not nearly as well scouted as the B1G. You cannot hide a weakness in the B1G.

We'll be there next season.
Richards team lost in triple overtime to Nevada last night.
The MW isn't a smash mouth, tough defense league. Richard fits into that league. Good for him to find a fit. It's just like Alford at Nevada. He bombed out at Iowa and UCLA. He has a groove in the MW.
The MW is a different style and league. It's fun and relaxed. It's not nearly as well scouted as the B1G. You cannot hide a weakness in the B1G.
“It’s not nearly as scouted” is such a ridiculous comment. The league is different no doubt but the teams arent just showing up and matching up by height at the tip.

And I guess we’re currently in the lower half so you’re right for next year. Will finished somewhere between 2nd and 14th in the conference. Bold prediction.

“It’s not nearly as scouted” is such a ridiculous comment. The league is different no doubt but the teams arent just showing up and matching up by height at the tip.

And I guess we’re currently in the lower half so you’re right for next year. Will finished somewhere between 2nd and 14th in the conference. Bold prediction.
Who knows, maybe Russia will nuke us and your whining will pale in comparison. It must suck to see the world through a dirty glass.

Who knows, maybe Russia will nuke us and your whining will pale in comparison. It must suck to see the world through a dirty glass.
What’s dirty? Lower half of the conference is 8-14. Middle is everything between 1 and 14. So that means they’d finish 2-14…you said it. I agreed with you. They won’t win the conference next year. I could see any other place happening.

Top Bottom