All Things Former Gophers Thread

Actually think and thought Tauer is a really good coach and the perfect coach to transition but to become a Marquette type success I did have someone in mind. Just not at liberty to discuss. Perhaps Tauer can be the one to get them there. He is a fantastic teacher and evaluator. Can he recruit well enough to build a power ? For the record I hope it is him. I do have doubts but have been wrong many times before.
I appreciate you replying. Thanks & Merry Christmas!

Richard and the Lobos could well be 15-0 after the next three games. They play Colorado State currently 8-5, Wyoming 5-7, and Fresno State 4-7 before taking on UNLV currently 11-1 and who beat the Gophers earlier this year 71-62.

Richard and the lobos crack the AP top 25 checking in at #22. First time the lobos have been ranked since 2014.
Not bad for a guy that numerous gholers said could not coach or recruit! Of course there are games to be played yet so let’s see how the season runs out. I hope it turns out well for the Lodos.

So you're already giving up on all of our freshmen before the conference season even starts? And you're giving up on Evans, Christie, & Betts?

I seriously think that you (and others) need to quit going-to & watching the games. You need to calm down...just check the box scores, look for progress from the freshmen, and think big picture.
You think that will help?

As far as your question, I haven't seen Evans, Christie, or Betts play college basketball yet. As of now, the best players for Ben Johnson have been players he "stole" (your words not mine) from other programs.

I like Payne quite a bit and I think Carrington will be a good a Big 10 basketball player. Henley and JOJ flash at times as well. However, the cold hard truth is that right now they aren't very good basketball players.

You think that will help?

As far as your question, I haven't seen Evans, Christie, or Betts play college basketball yet. As of now, the best players for Ben Johnson have been players he "stole" (your words not mine) from other programs.

I like Payne quite a bit and I think Carrington will be a good a Big 10 basketball player. Henley and JOJ flash at times as well. However, the cold hard truth is that right now they aren't very good basketball players.
We didn't bribe our transfers with money to come here.

Yeah there's no proof yet that our freshmen & recruits will be good. I'm simply looking for a few 10 point games, etc. And by the last 5 games I'm hoping for some good Big Ten play from them.

I'm hoping they don't get bribed away after they become good players. If you hope they do and think that's a good thing for college sports, you are free to continue watching.

We didn't bribe our transfers with money to come here.

Yeah there's no proof yet that our freshmen & recruits will be good. I'm simply looking for a few 10 point games, etc. And by the last 5 games I'm hoping for some good Big Ten play from them.

I'm hoping they don't get bribed away after they become good players. If you hope they do and think that's a good thing for college sports, you are free to continue watching.
I don't need your permission to keep watching the Gophers.

So for NEXT year, you're hoping that we can keep the games within 10 points. LOL. That's pretty far off from the Clem timeline you're pretending to compare to Ben.

As to your last point, why do you care about the players? You keep telling me that they don't matter so why would them coming or going have any impact on your decision to watch the Gophers. You said that they don't matter. No one follows them. You seem to be saying you'll follow them right out the door. Your entire Gopher "fandom" revolves around this particular set of players.

Most college players think they're NBA material, regardless of how unrealistic that may be. A large percentage of these guys going into the portal think they're improving their chances. Ergo, decent players on terrible teams transfer. A lot. It should be expected.

Yes, now there's an element of money. Fundamentally, though, it's still about the player improving their situation, whether that's about financial or basketball reasons.

I understand this is no longer what a lot of us grew up with and you might not like it. I do think some rules are needed, but we'll all adapt. Even internet faux-tough guys.

Most college players think they're NBA material, regardless of how unrealistic that may be. A large percentage of these guys going into the portal think they're improving their chances. Ergo, decent players on terrible teams transfer. A lot. It should be expected.

Yes, now there's an element of money. Fundamentally, though, it's still about the player improving their situation, whether that's about financial or basketball reasons.

I understand this is no longer what a lot of us grew up with and you might not like it. I do think some rules are needed, but we'll all adapt. Even internet faux-tough guys.
I don't blame players for improving their situation but I do think the changes are going to hurt college athletics and ultimately them - especially basketball where there are other alternatives.

It works right now that the players get to be a part of this system we all grew up supporting while also having the freedom to capitalize on their own marketability/talents/etc. However, what happens when people care less and less about the system?

Long term, I think this is the beginning of the end of college athletics. In some ways it was inevitable and we're probably still a ways off, but I think it's coming with all of this stuff and megaconferences is going to push people into other directions.

I’m happy for Marcus, wish he was still in a Gopher uniform. He always was an exiting player!

I don't need your permission to keep watching the Gophers.

So for NEXT year, you're hoping that we can keep the games within 10 points. LOL. That's pretty far off from the Clem timeline you're pretending to compare to Ben.

As to your last point, why do you care about the players? You keep telling me that they don't matter so why would them coming or going have any impact on your decision to watch the Gophers. You said that they don't matter. No one follows them. You seem to be saying you'll follow them right out the door. Your entire Gopher "fandom" revolves around this particular set of players.
All I'm saying is that if the best players we recruit & develop get bribed away...I will quit watching & following the Gophers. Simple. I'm not saying it will happen. I'm saying if. It would make no sense to watch under those conditions, imo.

I want the same Clem timeline. Clem lost big for 2 years when his first guys were freshmen & sophomores. Ben had a true Year Zero though...this is his first year with his freshmen.

All I'm saying is that if the best players we recruit & develop get bribed away...I will quit watching & following the Gophers. Simple. I'm not saying it will happen. I'm saying if. It would make no sense to watch under those conditions, imo.

I want the same Clem timeline. Clem lost big for 2 years when his first guys were freshmen & sophomores. Ben had a true Year Zero though...this is his first year with his freshmen.
So this is now Ben’s first year?

Ben wasn’t hired any later in the season than Clem. If Ben is following the Clem model, he’ll need to make the NCAA tournament next year.

Or are you now arguing that would have to be year 4? Lol

NM probably close to achieving their goal with hiring Pitino. He’s got them on the national radar and has elevated their profile.

To ward off potential rebuke: much different job than MN. He’s had a good nonconf, and doesn’t have to go coach in conference against guys who have been at the highest level for 20 years.

we
NM probably close to achieving their goal with hiring Pitino. He’s got them on the national radar and has elevated their profile.

To ward off potential rebuke: much different job than MN. He’s had a good nonconf, and doesn’t have to go coach in conference against guys who have been at the highest level for 20 years.
He still has to coach and recruit. Maybe recruiting is easier in the sunbelt!

we

He still has to coach and recruit. Maybe recruiting is easier in the sunbelt!
Oh yeah, he’s obviously doing something right this year. He plays a fun brand of basketball if the ball goes in the hoop - I’m not surprised he has a few guys who can fill it up. I think there’s probably a larger margin for error man to man, possession to possession, game to game outside of the big ten.

Former Gopher Bryan Greenlee avg 25 mpg on a Florida Atlantic team that is 11-1 and ranked 13th in the NET.
Examples like this are why I’m irritated we did not take a flyer on a low rated pg or two in year 0. We left scholarships unfulfilled for a year but want to run a developmental program…? Senior pgs make the best backups, but they gotta be in the system first.

Greenlee hits the go ahead 3 pointer as FAU picks up a Q1 win against North Texas. They have a serious shot at being an at large team, which would be almost unheard of from a CUSA team.

Greenlee hits the go ahead 3 pointer as FAU picks up a Q1 win against North Texas. They have a serious shot at being an at large team, which would be almost unheard of from a CUSA team.
No idea if the kid could have succeeded in the B1G, but he’s a classic example of a guy who was written off after half his freshman year. Fans are notoriously impatient and unrealistic about younger players.

No idea if the kid could have succeeded in the B1G, but he’s a classic example of a guy who was written off after half his freshman year. Fans are notoriously impatient and unrealistic about younger players.

He's not their best player, but he's a steady PG, is super quick, and plays very good defense. He knows his role. I will say with clarity he's better than Samuels, Carrington and Henley. Doesn't have the upside of Henley or Carrington IMO, but we would be better with him on the roster.

Heck, I remember the grumbling about Mashburn not being fully formed coming in as a freshman. The hope I hold for some of the young bricklayers on this year's team is the memory of Eric Harris not being able to make free throws--let alone jump shots--in his freshman year.

Top Bottom