All Things D2 and D3 College basketball

I watched a good chunk of the St. Olaf-Macalester game. and then - full disclosure - I fell asleep in the 2nd half and woke up with about a minute left in the game. from what I heard, Mac couldn't make a bucket to save their lives in the 2nd half - although I think the play-by-play and color guy on the video feed were Mac students, so they may not have been the most impartial.

Hey Ope - if St. Olaf could knock off St. John's, you could have the All-Northfield Finals. that would be a hoot.
That's expecting Carleton to beat Hamline. Last time they played at Carleton, it took an absolute collapse from Hamline and a buzzer beater for the Knights to win. As a Minnesota sports fan I am naturally pessimistic on my teams chances so I am worried for Friday night.

I watched a good chunk of the St. Olaf-Macalester game. and then - full disclosure - I fell asleep in the 2nd half and woke up with about a minute left in the game. from what I heard, Mac couldn't make a bucket to save their lives in the 2nd half - although I think the play-by-play and color guy on the video feed were Mac students, so they may not have been the most impartial.

Hey Ope - if St. Olaf could knock off St. John's, you could have the All-Northfield Finals. that would be a hoot.
Those Mac kids sounded crushed. What the announcing team lacked in polish, they made up for in enthusiasm.

The St Mary's guy also solid. In the 2nd OT alone there were a couple of lead changes.

Yes, still potential for a Hometown battle. I wonder if they would put the Goat on the line given they split in the regular season.

Campus president usually buys the first 500 student tickets so I don't know much info about tickets. Will let the thread know if I learn anything.
Must not be an advance sale. I am not real concerned about a sell out, no disrespect to the Piper following.

The Carleton Basketball Twitter said first 200 Students get in Free courtesy of Pres Byerly.

Go Knights

Must not be an advance sale. I am not real concerned about a sell out, no disrespect to the Piper following.

The Carleton Basketball Twitter said first 200 Students get in Free courtesy of Pres Byerly.

Go Knights
No advance sale. not too worried about Piper fans making the trek down. Carleton athletics will be there, don't know how well the rest of the campus will show up though.

No advance sale. not too worried about Piper fans making the trek down. Carleton athletics will be there, don't know how well the rest of the campus will show up though.
Knights night.

While not overwhelming, I was surprised that many Piper fans made the trip. Fun atmosphere.

It didn't feel like a 16 point margin of victory for Carleton (68-51). Nip and tuck for 30 minutes before they took the lead for good. Seemed like Hamline let a non-goaltending call get to them. They went ice cold.

Perhaps better days ahead for Hamline. All 5 starters were Fresh & Soph, as was virtually their entire rotation.

The all Northfield Title game hopes were dashed in Collegeville. St Olaf, just like Hamline led going into Halftime, but wound up getting beat by double digits by St John's.

Knights night.

While not overwhelming, I was surprised that many Piper fans made the trip. Fun atmosphere.

It didn't feel like a 16 point margin of victory for Carleton (68-51). Nip and tuck for 30 minutes before they took the lead for good. Seemed like Hamline let a non-goaltending call get to them. They went ice cold.

Perhaps better days ahead for Hamline. All 5 starters were Fresh & Soph, as was virtually their entire rotation.

The all Northfield Title game hopes were dashed in Collegeville. St Olaf, just like Hamline led going into Halftime, but wound up getting beat by double digits by St John's.
Was a hell of a night down in Northfield. Student section was kinda wild. I know St John's will travel well on Sunday, so we are planning on getting into the gym at least 30 minutes beforehand. Should be a fun day.

Was a hell of a night down in Northfield. Student section was kinda wild. I know St John's will travel well on Sunday, so we are planning on getting into the gym at least 30 minutes beforehand. Should be a fun day.
Fun night, I capped it off by picking up a pizza from George's Vineyard. Life is grand.

Fun game, Carleton ground it out, and Hamline lost their cool after a couple of tough calls. I sat behind Carleton's bench so I could listen in on what the coach was saying.

1677338542712.png

Fun game, Carleton ground it out, and Hamline lost their cool after a couple of tough calls. I sat behind Carleton's bench so I could listen in on what the coach was saying.

Who is to say how it would have played out, but after that non-goaltending call even though the Pipers hit a 3 on their next possession, the Knights finished on a 30-11 run. My friend and I agreed, horrible "play on" call.

Also could have been youth, on the road in a charged environment and as well as coming off wringer of a double OT win that it finally caught up to them. Plus Carleton is really good. Combo of all I suppose.

If I had been told ahead of time Beckler was going to be held to 12 points, I would have said that the Knights would be fortunate to escape in a 1 or 2 possession game.

MIAC Men's Championship game at 2:00pm Sunday. video available through MIAC website.

the Women's Basketball playoff championship game Sunday has Concordia at Gustavus.

Who is to say how it would have played out, but after that non-goaltending call even though the Pipers hit a 3 on their next possession, the Knights finished on a 30-11 run. My friend and I agreed, horrible "play on" call.

Also could have been youth, on the road in a charged environment and as well as coming off wringer of a double OT win that it finally caught up to them. Plus Carleton is really good. Combo of all I suppose.

If I had been told ahead of time Beckler was going to be held to 12 points, I would have said that the Knights would be fortunate to escape in a 1 or 2 possession game.

I think the big turning point was when Hamline's #32 (their leading scorer) got called for a foul in the early part of the second half for elbowing on a defensive rebound. That was his third foul, and he had to back off considerably on D after that, and Carleton then started controlling the boards. That's when Carleton went on their run, with Carleton's #2 draining three three's on subsequent possessions.

And props to the small but loud student section from Hamline, they had their act together (as well as the large student section from Carleton).

I think the big turning point was when Hamline's #32 (their leading scorer) got called for a foul in the early part of the second half for elbowing on a defensive rebound. That was his third foul, and he had to back off considerably on D after that, and Carleton then started controlling the boards. That's when Carleton went on their run, with Carleton's #2 draining three three's on subsequent possessions.

And props to the small but loud student section from Hamline, they had their act together (as well as the large student section from Carleton).
Good point on the foul trouble.

I sat in the small midcourt "townie" section wedged between the 2 student groups. Electric.

Reusse is correct on this one, obviously. Whether St Thomas jumped or was pushed doesn't matter. In the end everyone is better off.

Only downside is losing the annual St Thomas/St John's football game, in my opinion. Otherwise, win-win.

Good point on the foul trouble.

I sat in the small midcourt "townie" section wedged between the 2 student groups. Electric.
Heard reports of a SJU fan bud so we are trying to extend the Carleton student section and force their students into a corner

Heard reports of a SJU fan bud so we are trying to extend the Carleton student section and force their students into a corner
Awesome job by the Carleton students! It didn't help the Johnnies cause that the SJU student bus arrived 8 minutes into the game.

I got to the gym at 1:15, but had to park by Northfield Library on Division St it was so crowded. Got in no problem but sat in the corner with a bunch of friends.

Great afternoon for the Knights! I don't think they ever trailed. Beckler saw to it that they were going to cut down the nets.

Last edited:

Awesome job by the Carleton students! It didn't help their cause that the SJU student bus arrived 8 minutes into the game.

I got to the gym at 1:15, but had to park by Northfield Library on Division St it was so crowded. Got in no problem but sat in the corner with a bunch of friends.

Great afternoon for the Knights! I don't think they ever trailed. Beckler saw to it that they were going to cut down the nets.
Man what a game from Beckler, and from Banovetz. quietly put up 22 himself. Was great to see the Knights fan show up in force as well

Watching UMD and UIU play right now. Good close game.

Man what a game from Beckler, and from Banovetz. quietly put up 22 himself. Was great to see the Knights fan show up in force as well
I know nothing of DIII outside the MIAC other than that (the state of) Iowa has a similar kind of conference and then all the Wisc schools that should be in DII.

I guess you won't know until the bracket comes out, but how do you think DIII NCAA tournament will be? Any chance to win it all?

UMD moves on to the semifinals. MSUM and USF up next. Go Dragons!

I know nothing of DIII outside the MIAC other than that (the state of) Iowa has a similar kind of conference and then all the Wisc schools that should be in DII.

I guess you won't know until the bracket comes out, but how do you think DIII NCAA tournament will be? Any chance to win it all?
Given how few non-confernce games there are, tough to gage but heading into the week Carleton wasn't in the Top 25. They were in the Others receiving votes (#27) so with the Playoff title should crack into the rankings.

Overall record at 24-3 is gaudy but due to not so great strength of schedule, probably less than 50/50 they draw a top 16 seed and get to host 1st & 2nd Rds.

Pairings will be released tomorrow at Noon.

MSUM with a complete and total beatdown on USF. Game was never even close. MSUM plays BSU tomorrow in the semifinals. This Dragons team is really good.

Given how few non-confernce games there are, tough to gage but heading into the week Carleton wasn't in the Top 25. They were in the Others receiving votes (#27) so with the Playoff title should crack into the rankings.

Overall record at 24-3 is gaudy but due to not so great strength of schedule, probably less than 50/50 they draw a top 16 seed and get to host 1st & 2nd Rds.

Pairings will be released tomorrow at Noon.
Getting some insider info due to working within the sports department at Carleton, the region chair reached out to us before the MIAC tournament started and suggested we submit a bid to host. The thought is that it is a coin flip about whether we host or not, but it hinges on if La Crosse gets an at-large and if the NCAA wants two WIAC schools hosting as opposed to 1 WIAC and 1 MIAC. Oshkosh is going to host and will likely pull in Illinois College from the MWC or Bethany Lutheran from the UMAC. The thought of Carleton hosting would likely pit them against Illinois College from the MWC and have the other round of 64 game being Coe against La Crosse or Whitewater

I might be biased as a Carleton student, but Beckler is top 15 in the country in scoring, and hits his average, with the way Harris has been playing they can sure play with any team in the country. I haven't seen much NESCAC basketball but this team can score in bunches and that makes them scary.

I might be biased as a Carleton student, but Beckler is top 15 in the country in scoring, and hits his average, with the way Harris has been playing they can sure play with any team in the country. I haven't seen much NESCAC basketball but this team can score in bunches and that makes them scary.
The way Carleton defends without fouling is amazing. The program said rated #2 among all D3 teams in fewest fouls per game. #4 throughout All Divisions (1055 teams).

The way Carleton defends without fouling is amazing. The program said rated #2 among all D3 teams in fewest fouls per game. #4 throughout All Divisions (1055 teams).
I write the programs for most Carleton home events so its good to know that people actually pick those up and use them.

I write the programs for most Carleton home events so its good to know that people actually pick those up and use them.
Only went to the Hamline game, but loved the program and tidbits thrown in at the bottom on the national stats and rankings. It was like a cram sheet for a test, and I mean that in a totally positive way. Great job.

Top Bottom