All Things D2 and D3 College basketball

remaining MIAC games in regular season
Thurs, Feb 16: Carleton at Concordia

Sat, Feb 18: Mac at Augsburg; St. John's at Bethel; Gusties at St. Mary's; Carleton at St. Scholastica;
and Hamline at Concordia.

as for the playoffs

Tentative Schedule

Quarterfinals | Tuesday, Feb. 21, 2023 | 7:00 PM |
No. 6 at No. 3
No. 5 at No. 4

Semifinals | Thursday, Feb. 23, 2023 | 7:00 PM |
TBA at No. 1
TBA at No. 2

Championship | Saturday, Feb. 25, 2023 | 7:00 PM |
High-seed Host

remaining MIAC games in regular season
Thurs, Feb 16: Carleton at Concordia

Sat, Feb 18: Mac at Augsburg; St. John's at Bethel; Gusties at St. Mary's; Carleton at St. Scholastica;
and Hamline at Concordia.

as for the playoffs

Tentative Schedule

Quarterfinals | Tuesday, Feb. 21, 2023 | 7:00 PM |
No. 6 at No. 3
No. 5 at No. 4

Semifinals | Thursday, Feb. 23, 2023 | 7:00 PM |
TBA at No. 1
TBA at No. 2

Championship | Saturday, Feb. 25, 2023 | 7:00 PM |
High-seed Host
SoN or anyone out there know, does the MIAC Reseed after the 1st Round?

EDIT- Never mind, I googled playoff history and in the past when the #6 seed has won, they paired them up in the Semi with the #1.

Last edited:

SoN or anyone out there know, does the MIAC Reseed after the 1st Round?

EDIT- Never mind, I googled playoff history and in the past when the #6 seed has won, they paired them up in the Semi with the #1.

don't know. I thought the "TBA" for the semi-final round was interesting. in a typical bracket, it would be the 6/3 winner at #2 and the 5/4 winner at #1 - but maybe they do it differently.

(posted before your edit.....)

don't know. I thought the "TBA" for the semi-final round was interesting. in a typical bracket, it would be the 6/3 winner at #2 and the 5/4 winner at #1 - but maybe they do it differently.

(posted before your edit.....)
Yes, "NFL Style" per link above. Thanks though.

Have the 6 teams already been decided?
Concordia losing on Thursday eliminated them from contention and the possibility of a 4way tie for 5th/6th place.

Hamline & St Olaf don't have checkmarks on the MIAC webpage, but I don't see how it can't be those teams getting the final bids, even if Gustavus wins today and Hamline loses.

So if St. Olaf wins their first-round match, does that mean they'll play at Carleton in the semi-finals? It'd be nice to have a "river rivalry" game (both are located in Northfield - Carleton's on the east-side of the Cannon River and St. Olaf on the west side).

So if St. Olaf wins their first-round match, does that mean they'll play at Carleton in the semi-finals? It'd be nice to have a "river rivalry" game (both are located in Northfield - Carleton's on the east-side of the Cannon River and St. Olaf on the west side).
They reseed, so it would also depend on the 3 vs 6 result.

#1 Carleton & #2 St John's byes

Games Tuesday:

#6 Hamline @ #3 St Mary's
#5 St Olaf @ #4 Macalester

MIAC announced changes out of an abundance of caution due to the oncoming blizzard.

Quarters moved up to 5pm tomorrow. Winners will get an extra day of rest, Semis scheduled for Friday and Championship Sunday.

Friday Night Hoops at West Gym at Carleton will be fun. Considering the crowd we have had for regular season games, a friday night game will have the student section jumping.

Friday Night Hoops at West Gym at Carleton will be fun. Considering the crowd we have had for regular season games, a friday night game will have the student section jumping.
Have you heard anything about when tickets are going to go on sale?

Campus president usually buys the first 500 student tickets so I don't know much info about tickets. Will let the thread know if I learn anything.
Wait ... personally? Or is this some kind of symbolic thing to say like the first 500 students who show up get in free?

Wait ... personally? Or is this some kind of symbolic thing to say like the first 500 students who show up get in free?
For some sporting events the president is actually at the ticket booth paying for the first students. Hosted the MIAC soccer final this year and she personally stood and made sure the first 500 students to show up got in free. Don't think that will happen at the basketball game.

For some sporting events the president is actually at the ticket booth paying for the first students. Hosted the MIAC soccer final this year and she personally stood and made sure the first 500 students to show up got in free. Don't think that will happen at the basketball game.
OK.

But for a school that charges an amount for tuition that would make most people spit out their drink ...... why charge students anything to attend a game?

OK.

But for a school that charges an amount for tuition that would make most people spit out their drink ...... why charge students anything to attend a game?
All regular season sporting events are free for everyone. MIAC playoffs are ticketed by the MIAC

All regular season sporting events are free for everyone. MIAC playoffs are ticketed by the MIAC
OK.

...... MIAC schools which are all tiny liberal arts schools and thus all charge absurd tuitions. THEY still feel justified in charging students for admission. Pathetic

I guess then, hence why your president buys the tickets.

STILL, shame on the MIAC. Silly

Somehow usually don't even go through the first 500 tickets as well. Considering the school is just 2000 people its rare that many students show up to a sporting event

OK.

...... MIAC schools which are all tiny liberal arts schools and thus all charge absurd tuitions. THEY still feel justified in charging students for admission. Pathetic

FYI, it's not the schools charging the admission but the MIAC itself that requires it for all Playoff games. Carleton Regular Season games are FREE for Students (and anyone else that shows up).

Macalester is also completely no charge.

St Olaf, Adults $7, nothing for Students.

MIAC Playoff pricing is roughly $2 for Students, $10 for Adults.

FYI, it's not the schools charging the admission but the MIAC itself that requires it for all Playoff games. Carleton Regular Season games are FREE for Students (and anyone else that shows up).

Macalester is also completely no charge.

St Olaf, Adults $7, nothing for students.

MIAC Playoff pricing is roughly $2 for Students, $10 for Adults.
$4? Come on. Silly.

A bag of candy at the concession stand probably costs more than that. Don't do it at all. So that's $4k if 1000 students come. Just make the schools pay the conference $10k, themselves, and call it good.

$4? Come on. Stupid.

A bag of candy at the concession stand probably costs more than that. Don't do it at all. So that's $4k if 1000 students come. Just make the schools pay the conference $10k, themselves, and call it good.
It's actually $2, but with online fees was $4 at least for the St Olaf @ Macalester game. Maybe on campus there is a way to avoid the surcharge.

I honestly don't think it's for the revenue, but to make sure it's not mayhem getting into the venues (avoiding first come first serve campouts/stampedes), overcapacity and ensure those that have genuine interest get into the games.

Concessions at Carleton - Popcorn $2 (when the baseball team gets there in time to fire it up). Soda/Candy $1.50.

Last edited:

It's actually $2, but with online fees was $4 at least for the St Olaf @ Macalester game. Maybe on campus there is a way to avoid the surcharge.

I honestly don't think it's for the revenue, but to make sure it's not mayhem getting into the venues (avoiding first come first serve campouts/stampedes), overcapacity and ensure those that have genuine interest get into the games.
Maybe it's just because I've only seen Carleton events, but that is far from an issue for home games here. I have yet to experience a Carleton sporting event where there were worries about getting tickets or being able to watch the event

Maybe it's just because I've only seen Carleton events, but that is far from an issue for home games here. I have yet to experience a Carleton sporting event where there were worries about getting tickets or being able to watch the event
Playoffs are a different deal, especially depending on how well the opponent travels. If they play either St Olaf or St John's the visiting fans will create a demand especially on a Friday or Sunday.

Both times St Olaf played at St Thomas in the MIAC Championship (2014 & 2016), the gym was packed (or nearly Sold Out). Also, there were more Ole fans than Tommies. No joke.

just in case anyone missed it - MIAC Men's Basketball playoffs schedule adjusted for weather

note - according to MIAC website, it appears there will be live video feeds of playoff games. As far as I can tell, these are free video feeds - so if you are snowed in, watch some hoops. go to MIAC website for links to the video feeds. (not to be confused with a pancake feed......)

2023 MIAC MEN'S BASKETBALL PLAYOFF SCHEDULE
Quarterfinals | Tuesday, Feb. 21, 2023 | 5:00 p.m. |

No. 6 Hamline at No. 3 Saint Mary's
No. 5 St. Olaf at No. 4 Macalester

Semifinals | Friday, Feb. 24, 2023 | 7:00 p.m. |
No. 4/5/6 seed at No. 1 Carleton
No. 3/4/5 seed at No. 2 Saint John's

Championship | Sunday, Feb. 26, 2023 | 2:00 p.m. |
Highest remaining seed will host

MIAC Playoffs start with a bang with 2 upsets in terms of seeds. It was fun to follow via stream.

Oles take down the Scots 56-54, with Mac having 2 shots under 5 seconds to tie or take the lead.

Pipers best the Cardinals in Double OT, 90-84. That foils the potential All Northfield Semifinal.

Next Up Friday:

#5 Oles at #2 Johnnies.
#6 Pipers at #1 Knights.

I watched a good chunk of the St. Olaf-Macalester game. and then - full disclosure - I fell asleep in the 2nd half and woke up with about a minute left in the game. from what I heard, Mac couldn't make a bucket to save their lives in the 2nd half - although I think the play-by-play and color guy on the video feed were Mac students, so they may not have been the most impartial.

Hey Ope - if St. Olaf could knock off St. John's, you could have the All-Northfield Finals. that would be a hoot.

Top Bottom