All Things COVID-19 College Football Impact

MDs in academic medical centers not allowed to perform or comment on clinical research. Hmmm. Looks like the worldwide medical community (not just the US) needs to radically change its approach.
I never said any such thing. Clinical trials and medical studies obviously require doctors. And obviously teaching hospitals require clinical instructors ... not that this point has anything to do with science.

I said, correctly, that if you're not a PhD, your opinion is not an expert opinion.

Literally no different than since I don't have an MD, I am not allowed to be an expert opinion on which medicine to prescribe for an illness. That's how that works.

How about this “MD only” guy who comments on research occasionally?
That was already brought up in another thread. As I correct answered there, he is speaking on behalf of a national organization of scientists.

Sincerely,
Cardiologist who has trained at multiple academic institutions and published in medical journals
So? You're not a scientist. Doctors get to be listed as authors on scientific publications, because they helped to administer the protocol, whether that was for data gathering or to test out a new therapy.

For whatever reason, you chose not to get a PhD. That was your choice, whether it was because you didn't think you were competent enough in science to go that route, or more likely because you didn't want to put the time in.

Again, it's literally no different than if I was throwing out opinions on which medicines and dosages should be prescribed for some illness. I don't have the appropriate degree, therefore my opinion is not expert.

There is absolutely no data to support that assertion

in fact, fanless sports have gone on in many of the nations where they are handling it better.

So while there is no data on sports causing Covid to spread faster...the little data there is would point to a negative correlation. (I am not claiming that sports makes the virus spread slower...just offering the point).

While there is no data to says sports spread the virus...I do think there is data to support that the places letting fans in the stands are being unintelligent.

If you claim fanless sports furthers the spread of the virus you are offering an claim that is not supported by any data.

None of this matters to you though as you clearly lack the willingness and/or ability to see gray
Without fans isn't likely to cause significant increase overall, that I agree with.

I was saying that it can't be denied, no matter how hard you try, that playing games increases the the chances for the virus to spread to the players. Obviously it does. It doesn't prove that it will spread, but it gives more chances.

The point of the Big Ten's postponement of the season has always been about player health and safety.

Scientists are typically more respectful and deferential to others work, especially if they lack their own data that would refute a particular study. MDs litigating Covid myocarditis on Twitter is really hard to fathom. Some would seem to have an axe to grind.

Yep.

With how hard they're trying to ram it down people's throats ... the immediate response from the public should be, what is their agenda?? Why are they so afraid of cMRI?

More like:

play football = more Covid
don't play football = less Covid.
What happens when the season gets cancelled for good? Do you think the players are going to avoid going out? Heck no, and if they have football they might avoid large gatherings. If its cancelled they might expose themselves even more and instead of being tested 3 times per week, they won't be getting tested at all leaving the door open for larger outbreaks within the team.

What happens when the season gets cancelled for good? Do you think the players are going to avoid going out? Heck no, and if they have football they might avoid large gatherings. If its cancelled they might expose themselves even more and instead of being tested 3 times per week, they won't be getting tested at all leaving the door open for larger outbreaks within the team.
That’s their choice and has nothing to do with the season being cancelled.

They could just as easily choose to quarantine themselves at their parents house for the fall semester.

10 out because of a positive test would mean the team was decimated.
20 is twice as bad in case you need help with math.
OOOOO, a use of the original meaning of decimated! You don't see that much anymore.

No way that canceling the season impacts anything other than the sports being played according to some.
if you cancel college football, all else will be equal and nothing will change

The flip responses by some to the crushing of daily motivations, goals, dreams of these players, coaches, staff members is pretty unsettling. Not to mention the tip of the iceberg collateral damage to the Olympic sports, those players and staff members, community businesses and those livelihoods and dreams. The paternalistic attitude of: we know what’s best for you -particularly when evidence has changed, things were overstated but are too proud to admit - are bothersome.

When in doubt, do less, not more. I realize this is tough in our ridiculous litigation climate, a monster we cannot put back in the bottle it seems...

I feel really bad for the players but if the season busts everyone who chooses will receive an extra year of eligibility and allowed to complete their education. Its much harder for many others, no?

If you watch any NFL you support what they support and that’s rapists and false narratives. I won’t watch any NFL. Hope it goes bankrupt.
See, you went too far here. When you're running a bit and trying to get people to notice you, you need to edge carefully up to the line but not step over into ludicrousness.

That's ok, you'll do better next time. Get some sleep and come out firing tomorrow.

Somehow I think the thousands of student athletes, training staffs, coaches, and universities that are pouring everything they have into this season probably don't think the same way you do. But for many, this has never been about what's best for the student athletes. Not once

The multi-billion dollar industry that is NCAAF is rarely concerned with what is best for student athletes. Suspending play, on the other hand, at least had the optics of concern.

Scientists are typically more respectful and deferential to others work, especially if they lack their own data that would refute a particular study. MDs litigating Covid myocarditis on Twitter is really hard to fathom. Some would seem to have an axe to grind.

Is it? It seems more like they’re correcting the lay press (and lay person’s) interpretation of the findings. You continually attack the messengers rather than the message which tells me all I need to know about your credentials (or lack thereof).

You can’t possibly be involved in science, medicine, or a healthcare field and not understand why they felt compelled to speak up and tone down the resulting discussions. Wild exaggeration of the actual importance of the findings, or a vast increase in very sensitive imaging, or labeling of isolated subtle MRI findings as predictive of future outcomes could conceivably affect things as benign as getting life insurance, to causing needless increased anxiety in tens of millions - some of which are already on the edge, to demands of MRIs from frightened patients, associated time burden on already burdened clinicians; to as serious as potentially harmful political, social policy.

The multi-billion dollar industry that is NCAAF is rarely concerned with what is best for student athletes. Suspending play, on the other hand, at least had the optics of concern.

Why are you here? You aren’t a fan, you (purportedly) attend a different Big Ten school, and you prefer professional sports.

?

I never said any such thing. Clinical trials and medical studies obviously require doctors. And obviously teaching hospitals require clinical instructors ... not that this point has anything to do with science.

I said, correctly, that if you're not a PhD, your opinion is not an expert opinion.

Literally no different than since I don't have an MD, I am not allowed to be an expert opinion on which medicine to prescribe for an illness. That's how that works.

That was already brought up in another thread. As I correct answered there, he is speaking on behalf of a national organization of scientists.

So? You're not a scientist. Doctors get to be listed as authors on scientific publications, because they helped to administer the protocol, whether that was for data gathering or to test out a new therapy.

For whatever reason, you chose not to get a PhD. That was your choice, whether it was because you didn't think you were competent enough in science to go that route, or more likely because you didn't want to put the time in.

Again, it's literally no different than if I was throwing out opinions on which medicines and dosages should be prescribed for some illness. I don't have the appropriate degree, therefore my opinion is not expert.
I’m not sure you understand how clinical research works. The vast majority of original clinical research is led by MDs who have had training and experience in research. Based on your message above your impression is that MDs’ only contribution is “administering the protocol” and prescribing medicine. Of course, most research these days is sufficiently complex to require collaboration including PhD scientists, biostatisticians etc.

I’m not going to look for your reply about Dr. Fauci in the other thread but it seems you’re implying that he merely summarizes what PhD scientists have done, that he has never done original research?

Thanks for the Minnesotan passive aggressive “That was your choice, whether it was because you didn't think you were competent enough in science to go that route, or more likely because you didn't want to put the time in.” Classic!

I feel really bad for the players but if the season busts everyone who chooses will receive an extra year of eligibility and allowed to complete their education. Its much harder for many others, no?
It was pretty obvious already but this pretty much seals that you were never a scholarship student athlete. Zero clue about the daily life of a student athlete, their schedule, the impact of something like this on all of that, et al. Just another year of their life, right? No big deal? Managing an athletic schedule as well as a class load is infinitely beyond your understanding and yet you pass this off as just a small thing, there's always next spring or next fall...

I don't mean to bag on you specifically, you're not alone, but it's depressing what little regard some seem to have with this situation they are having to deal with, watching people in authority bungle it over and over from the beginning, the uncertainty, the changing stories, etc...

The flip responses by some to the crushing of daily motivations, goals, dreams of these players, coaches, staff members is pretty unsettling. Not to mention the tip of the iceberg collateral damage to the Olympic sports, those players and staff members, community businesses and those livelihoods and dreams. The paternalistic attitude of: we know what’s best for you -particularly when evidence has changed, things were overstated but are too proud to admit - are bothersome.

When in doubt, do less, not more. I realize this is tough in our ridiculous litigation climate, a monster we cannot put back in the bottle it seems...

You can lighten up on melodramatic crushing of dreams. Get this thing under control first by doing what medical experts are recommending and then hope we get an effective vaccine and these athletes and others can continue their lives. We'll soon have 200,000 dead and people a hell of a lot more knowledgable than you are worried things are going to get worse come cold weather and flu season. Just what is your number of deaths that you consider unacceptable?

Why are you here? You aren’t a fan, you (purportedly) attend a different Big Ten school, and you prefer professional sports.

?

It was pretty obvious already but this pretty much seals that you were never a scholarship student athlete. Zero clue about the daily life of a student athlete, their schedule, the impact of something like this on all of that, et al. Just another year of their life, right? No big deal? Managing an athletic schedule as well as a class load is infinitely beyond your understanding and yet you pass this off as just a small thing, there's always next spring or next fall...

I don't mean to bag on you specifically, you're not alone, but it's depressing what little regard some seem to have with this situation they are having to deal with, watching people in authority bungle it over and over from the beginning, the uncertainty, the changing stories, etc...

$hit happens. Life is tough. Deal with it and do the best you can. People in authority did what they thought was right.

See, you went too far here. When you're running a bit and trying to get people to notice you, you need to edge carefully up to the line but not step over into ludicrousness.

That's ok, you'll do better next time. Get some sleep and come out firing tomorrow.

Tell me what I said isn’t correct? They support Jacob Blake, a Rapist! Support Breanna Taylor which is unraveling daily with how she was involved,u could go on with GF and other. They want to find an injustice so bad! When they can’t find a true victim they only have criminals to uplift. Imagine if it was your daughter that got raped and you saw his name on NFL helmets. Clown stuff

Tell me what I said isn’t correct? They support Jacob Blake, a Rapist! Support Breanna Taylor which is unraveling daily with how she was involved,u could go on with GF and other. They want to find an injustice so bad! When they can’t find a true victim they only have criminals to uplift. Imagine if it was your daughter that got raped and you saw his name on NFL helmets. Clown stuff

So you're not going to watch the NFL. Literally, nobody gives a rat's ass.
I see so much about this on social media "oh, I'm done with pro football because I'M TAKING A STAND."

If you don't like the game because it's become increasingly dull (which it kind of has), that's fine. I get it. But nobody cares about your little political posturing. Go bask in your misguided anger and self pity.

No way that canceling the season impacts anything other than the sports being played according to some.
if you cancel college football, all else will be equal and nothing will change
Let's say the Big Ten ended up not playing a single down of football in 2020. Then in 2021, Ohio State wins the national championship.

I really am having a hard time seeing what permanent damage would be done, to any of the schools.

All that work and time they put it ... they should absolutely be given the choice to spread a deadly disease around to innocent people who had nothing to do with athletics.

Why can't people see that???

Be gone J Evans Pritchard PhD
Ha!

I wonder if even you realize the tragic irony of that reference? Keating's free-wheeling advice, directly results in Neil committing suicide. Of course, Keating did not know that it would work out that way. He really believed he was saying the right thing.

So, I wonder whom will suffer the greatest consequences of this cadre trying to shout down scientific progress, in the name of who knows what? Protecting the status quo? Preventing too many dollars from leaving certain pockets, too fast? Maybe you can fill us in on those details, that aren't included in the Tweets?

Top Bottom