All Things COVID-19 College Football Impact

Perfectly sums up your attitude towards covid19. In a nutshell!

COVID-19 is very serious. There is a lot we don’t know. I’m defending rational discourse of potential complications, pushing for widespread/inexpensive/frequent testing, pushing for helpful behaviors to slow spread. Against gender reveal blowouts/quinceanereas, pachanga parties, and other unhelpful activities (right now). Pro-mask (not face underwear type).

I‘m getting it from both sides. Not panicked enough, or overly restrictive.

Ya, if they got it while playing another team, then college football this fall will have issues. He better just go with "party bus" if he wants his team to keep playing.
False

Yeah he maybe got it from a game.
Any human contact of any time can get it to you.

People opening things up are operating under the assumption there will be transmission.

it’s a trade off decision.
It’s not play football = Covid
No football = no Covid

that’s a false choice fallacy

more like
Play football = some Covid
Don’t play football = some Covid

Even if he got it at a football game. Without football he is doing something else that day that he could’ve gotten it.

If I was in charge of a school or conference based on what I know I would choose to play with zero fans.
i don’t fault those who made the decision to cancel
I don’t fault those who made the decision to play with fans
Everyone has to make their own best decision. Some will be right and some will be wrong.

No matter what you choose, people will get Covid

Only pointing out that he literally brings nothing to table, and is just trying to draw attention to himself, by trolling.

That is all.

Is this a Gollum thing, where you are having a one-sided conversation about yourself? Sméagol!

COVID-19 is very serious. There is a lot we don’t know. I’m defending rational discourse of potential complications, pushing for widespread/inexpensive/frequent testing, pushing for helpful behaviors to slow spread. Against gender reveal blowouts/quinceanereas, pachanga parties, and other unhelpful activities (right now). Pro-mask (not face underwear type).

I‘m getting it from both sides. Not panicked enough, or overly restrictive.
Not much to disagree with in the bolded. It should be the normal, common sense attitude.

Only problem is that, hiding underneath that, I suspect you're pushing for likely inaccurate testers to be sold by the millions, in order to make truck loads of cash for your clients.

Is this a Gollum thing, where you are having a one-sided conversation about yourself? Sméagol!
Now you've gone off the deep end, my friend.

Right, I'm sure you were well aware of the world-renowned cardiac imaging scientist, Bogden Enache, and waiting patiently for him to finally weigh in. Pins and needles.

I think the "big picture" here is that teams are having outbreaks and games are being postponed.

this is exactly what the B1G was worried about.

players do not have to die or wind up in ICU for covid to disrupt programs or seasons.
Yeah but that’s a pretty ridiculous argument

You cancel the entire season to avoid disruption. Okay I guess the big ten and pac 12 haven’t had disruptions

Hahaha!

It's absolutely correct, and it pisses off Houston to no end. Two birds with one stone!
It doesn't piss me off in the slightest. Everything I wrote was indirectly related to what Ryan Day and the his players are asking for in an explanation of why they aren't playing.

If comments on this board upset me, I would have blocked you along time ago, but they don't. Every once in a while when I read a post the differs from my own opinion, I get enlightened , so far that has never happened with a post of yours.

Money is a big factor in this too, of course. Many cardiologist practices don't have access to an MRI machine in-house, so they have to send those patients and dollars outside, if that becomes the new norm.

Ya think cMRI aficionados, particularly conflicted ones, pushing for widespread testing might invite greater scrutiny if their work like say, asking for control groups? Nah, pandemic. Throw scientific methods out the window.

False

Yeah he maybe got it from a game.
Any human contact of any time can get it to you.

People opening things up are operating under the assumption there will be transmission.

it’s a trade off decision.
It’s not play football = Covid
No football = no Covid

that’s a false choice fallacy

more like
Play football = some Covid
Don’t play football = some Covid

Even if he got it at a football game. Without football he is doing something else that day that he could’ve gotten it.

If I was in charge of a school or conference based on what I know I would choose to play with zero fans.
i don’t fault those who made the decision to cancel
I don’t fault those who made the decision to play with fans
Everyone has to make their own best decision. Some will be right and some will be wrong.

No matter what you choose, people will get Covid
More like:

play football = more Covid
don't play football = less Covid.

It doesn't piss me off in the slightest. Everything I wrote was indirectly related to what Ryan Day and the his players are asking for in an explanation of why they aren't playing.

If comments on this board upset me, I would have blocked you along time ago, but they don't. Every once in a while when I read a post the differs from my own opinion, I get enlightened , so far that has never happened with a post of yours.
In this case, Slab enlightened you in post #371.

Now you've gone off the deep end, my friend.

Right, I'm sure you were well aware of the world-renowned cardiac imaging scientist, Bogden Enache, and waiting patiently for him to finally weigh in. Pins and needles.

Is there anyone refuting what these guys are stating - the study is deeply flawed, and only tells us there are subtle MRI markers that may or may not mean anything. These markers in isolation have never been correlated with short or long term problems.

I‘ll wait for a rational reply.

Ya think cMRI aficionados, particularly conflicted ones, pushing for widespread testing might invite greater scrutiny if their work like say, asking for control groups? Nah, pandemic. Throw scientific methods out the window.
I would welcome an actual study with control groups. That would be an important next step, if meaningful scientific conclusions are going to be made about MRI's future in the diagnosis of heart tissue inflammation as a result of disease.

When the data was being gathered, quite obviously they weren't thinking about doing such a study. But then the results came in, and they decided they wanted to share with the rest of the scientific community.

No crime was committed. Science gets to progress. Good. Correct.

Is there anyone refuting what these guys are stating - the study is deeply flawed, and only tells us there are subtle MRI markers that may or may not mean anything. These markers in isolation have never been correlated with short or long term problems.

I‘ll wait for a rational reply.
Gotta start somewhere. Nothing has been proven or disproven.

But a lot of hot air and twitter chest thumping sure have happened.

This is just so embarrassing that the Big Ten is not playing yet, and has no plan.

How has this commissioner not been fired? This has been a total disaster. How many more Big Ten sports programs will be terminated before someone steps-in and fixes this mess?

its more about pandemic control
Control? For real? Who in their right mind thinks this can be "controlled"? You do the best you can with reasonable measures to mitigate the situation and life goes on. You deal with obstacles, you don't run from them.

Who in their right mind thinks this can be "controlled"?

Japan. South Korea. Canada. etc

7PzTUzr.png

Day does realize OSU can get pretty much any HC it wants, right?
There is probably a lot to it.
No doubt in my mind Day has been told by his AD what it’s okay to say and when to change tune

Ohio State AD clearly wants to play and is letting Day use his voice to push. But then at times Day takes a softer tone to not anger big ten presidents. It’s an interesting game that’s being played. But I don’t think Day is just rogue here

A small group of cardiologists are pushing over small children in a disinformation campaign against advancing science on cardiac MRI.

The question the American public should be asking themselves is: why?

I think the "big picture" here is that teams are having outbreaks and games are being postponed.

this is exactly what the B1G was worried about.

players do not have to die or wind up in ICU for covid to disrupt programs or seasons.

I'm curious to see if coaches or teams care enough to punish folks for it.

Like party bus... that's ok? You want your guys to miss all this time?

Gotta put your foot down right? Or not...

More like:

play football = more Covid
don't play football = less Covid.
There is absolutely no data to support that assertion

in fact, fanless sports have gone on in many of the nations where they are handling it better.

So while there is no data on sports causing Covid to spread faster...the little data there is would point to a negative correlation. (I am not claiming that sports makes the virus spread slower...just offering the point).

While there is no data to says sports spread the virus...I do think there is data to support that the places letting fans in the stands are being unintelligent.

If you claim fanless sports furthers the spread of the virus you are offering an claim that is not supported by any data.

None of this matters to you though as you clearly lack the willingness and/or ability to see gray

NCAA cardiology consultant

Asked specifically what screenings athletes who tested positive for COVID-19 should undergo before returning to the field, Dr. Baggish said that those who experienced no or mild symptoms — which he defined as “the neck and above” — “do not need more pre-participation screenings than they would get in a normal, pre-covid environment.” Athletes who experienced moderate or severe bouts of COVID-19 should go through the battery of heart tests before returning to play, he said.

“The vast majority of athletes that we’re seeing come back now either didn’t know they had disease or were just sick with mild symptoms for just a couple of days, and we’re just not finding pathology that matters in those people,” Dr. Baggish said later. “…Doing more advanced testing without really knowing what you’re going to do with the information because we simply don’t know what normal is, is going to end up causing more harm than good.”

Here's the study the PSU Doctor was referencing when he initially said the number was 30+% and later said he was mistaken. It was 15%

Cue the post disagreeing with the methodology saying the study is worthless. Accompanied by the posts saying that this is why the PAC12 and BigTen were so cautious. :)

They tested 26 people after they had COVID. There was no baseline from before their illness.

"Of 26 competitive athletes, 4 (15%) had CMR findings suggestive of myocarditis and 8 additional athletes (30.8%) exhibited LGE without T2 elevation, suggestive of prior myocardial injury."

"There were no diagnostic ST/T wave changes on electrocardiogram, and ventricular volumes and function were within the normal range in all athletes by transthoracic echocardiogram and CMR imaging. No athlete had elevated serum levels of troponin I."

Basically, the study says that all athletes are susceptible to myocardia and it is unknown if COVID was a factor in these 12. In fact the "8" appeared to have had possible myocardia before the illness. I'm not saying it isn't possible COVID has impacted hearts, but this study says a lot of nothing as well.

That’s great. Too little. Too late.

Heads need to roll at the Big Ten. And it needs to include the Big Ten presidents that voted for it. They were wrong. And now we know it.
Who should get fired for ... following what the folks who run the big 10 .... decided?

Who fires university presidents?

[/QUOTE]

So tell me, professor, how easy is it is to round up, on short order, a control group of 26 non-covid athletes for a 2 hour cardiac MRI that requires a contrast injection? From what I can gather you know nothing about science outside of what you can Google or find on Twitter.

Top Bottom