All Things COVID-19 College Football Impact

Take a mulligan, again.

Doctors and scientists aren’t elected officials who get to make policy. They provide input in one area. Our elected officials have to make the tough calls and weigh all aspects of society. Deflecting this responsibility to the medical community is a cop out.
Huh? Certainly you can't be this obtuse. Yes, our elected officials make the call but you think they sit in a room by themselves and come up with what they're going to do based on advice from one source? They consult all sorts of people: doctors, scientists, economists, business owners, department heads, etc. Hell, I'd bet trainers had some input as far as the football decision. So a college president, (who isn't elected) or a governor is asked for a rationale about what he or she decided and they can't cite the advice they were given? That's not exactly copping out. I can think of one elected official, come to think of it, who does sit in a room by himself and make the call. But even he relies on input from different areas: you know, Pillow Guy, Hannity, son-in-law, Roger Stone and so on.

Doctors and scientists aren’t elected officials who get to make policy. They provide input in one area. Our elected officials have to make the tough calls and weigh all aspects of society. Deflecting this responsibility to the medical community is a cop out.
This is something that some people just can't seem to figure out. Heavy is the head that wears the crown. Scientists and doctors don't decide public policy or dictate how people run their lives. They provide input, just like anyone else. A decision to shut down the economy would involve input from scientists/doctors, economists, business owners, law makers, people from the finance industry, et al.

To that end, Grandpa Joe failed and failed miserably when he was asked on camera in an interview if he would shut it down again and he said if the epidemiologists said they should, he would. When you're in charge, you have to put your big boy pants on and you have to make tough decisions after weighing all the available evidence and data; you don't just get to punt it to someone else and say "the experts said"...

I think the question being raised was when or where the player was infected.

If he was infected as a direct result of participating in team activities, then one could argue that he might have been better off at home.

As far as the level of care received, I don't you if you can assume that he got better care on-campus that he would have at home. that would depend on the family's insurance situation, proximity to medical care, etc.
With new rapid testing available, in theory, everyone on the practice or playing field doesn’t have Covid right?

With new rapid testing available, in theory, everyone on the practice or playing field doesn’t have Covid right?
Is there any time delay from infection to testing is likely to pick it up?

Gotta think that at one moment I'm not infected, then a moment later I am as far as a little virus in my system... but testing wouldn't pick it up the next moment....

Granted we're more generally worried about transmission and etc and that third moment it's not likely to happen so not the end times, but those time gaps between infection and testing likely to pick it up have to be a thing.

Huh? Certainly you can't be this obtuse. Yes, our elected officials make the call but you think they sit in a room by themselves and come up with what they're going to do based on advice from one source? They consult all sorts of people: doctors, scientists, economists, business owners, department heads, etc. Hell, I'd bet trainers had some input as far as the football decision. So a college president, (who isn't elected) or a governor is asked for a rationale about what he or she decided and they can't cite the advice they were given? That's not exactly copping out. I can think of one elected official, come to think of it, who does sit in a room by himself and make the call. But even he relies on input from different areas: you know, Pillow Guy, Hannity, son-in-law, Roger Stone and so on.

Ok Shawshank 🤣🤣

Did you read the article, or just the title?

“When we heard the news of Jamain Stephens’ death, we as a community were devastated,” Brother Tony Baginski, FSC, Principal of Central Catholic, said in the Wednesday statement. “He was well loved by everyone in our community, and in an effort to get the news out about his death in a timely manner, we mistakenly attributed his death without official confirmation on cause of death. We had obtained the information about his passing from close friends of Jamain, who reached out to us with the news. We apologize for this error, and this information has since been removed from our Facebook announcement dated 9/8/2020. At this time, we do not have official confirmation on his cause of death.”

Sure, was it mistakenly attributed to Covid-19 without confirmation? Yes, have we had confirmation that it wasn't due to Covid-19? No because no cause of death has been confirmed. Come back when you have an article that confirms cause of death.

Here's the study the PSU Doctor was referencing when he initially said the number was 30+% and later said he was mistaken. It was 15%

Cue the post disagreeing with the methodology saying the study is worthless. Accompanied by the posts saying that this is why the PAC12 and BigTen were so cautious. :)

From Stewart Mandel:

The authors' conclusion in that study is that it's important to perform cardiac MRIs on all COVID-positive athletes (not just symptomatic) before returning to activities. I believe all conferences competing this fall are now doing that.

The study was not perfectly done but even with that caveat was sobering enough to be one of the reasons a great majority of the university presidents voted to cancel all fall sports in the BIG.
It does not matter you agree or disagree with that decision for it was not your decision to make nor is it your decision to decide when BIG football can begin.
Given the increasing spread of the virus on college campuses I doubt that football in the BIG will be happening as fast as some would like or not all this year.
I just read WI has suspended practice for two weeks for the football and hockey teams because of a number of positive results for the Covid virus.

From Stewart Mandel:

The authors' conclusion in that study is that it's important to perform cardiac MRIs on all COVID-positive athletes (not just symptomatic) before returning to activities. I believe all conferences competing this fall are now doing that.
The point is that one would hope no one gets the virus at all and it seemed the risk was greater for the unmasked close contact that football practice requires.

From Stewart Mandel:

Yes, test, test and more testing and no fudging for any studs - the last thing we can afford to have happen is a Hank Gathers tragedy in the middle of a game.

From Stewart Mandel:

Can’t see how this is possibly a bad outcome.

Doesn’t matter if cardiologists disagree with using MRI in this way .... it can’t possibly hurt the athletes.

So at the end of the day, schools are forced to take another step to ensure the safety of athletes, and science gets a bunch of data to study and help with progress.

Win-win-win.

^ apples to watermelon. What else is new.

Rodent’s kid could die of covid, and he wouldn’t change a single belief about it. That’s a cult.

Once again...uncertain significance, subjective image interpretation, lack of matched controls, and in this case some dishonest or misapplication of the literature, eg citing as correlative evidence studies of clinically symptomatic patients and extrapolating to asymptomatics.

See here for further detail:

Besides the lack of controls, subtle MRI findings erroneously correlated to clinical myocarditis

Here's the study the PSU Doctor was referencing when he initially said the number was 30+% and later said he was mistaken. It was 15%

Cue the post disagreeing with the methodology saying the study is worthless. Accompanied by the posts saying that this is why the PAC12 and BigTen were so cautious. :)

It’s not worthless, just misleading.

The dramatic uptick in positive tests, according to the source, has been attributed to a party bus that members of the team were on after last Saturday's season-opening win against Arkansas State.

Hard to avoid the Party Bus, I get it.

Hopefully Arkansas State is ok....

Once again...uncertain significance, subjective image interpretation, lack of matched controls, and in this case some dishonest or misapplication of the literature, eg citing as correlative evidence studies of clinically symptomatic patients and extrapolating to asymptomatics.

Summary: 5. The wealth of evidence to date from large outbreaks in the US & the world is that the virus does most of its damage in the lung 6. After 6 months, cardiology clinics in the US are not being overwhelmed with new heart failure diagnoses7. In the rare patients sick enough to be biopsied, the coronavirus is rarely found in cardiac myocytes 8. Other viruses have been reported to have the same cardiac MRI abnormalities seen here (LGE, abnormal T1/T2)

Oh it gets better.

Memphis player says he didn't get COVID from a party bus!!

Thank goodness!

He says he got it from the game vs Arkansas State:

I guess that's ... 'better'....

Or he just wasn't invited on the bus.

Oh it gets better.

Memphis player says he didn't get COVID from a party bus!!

Thank goodness!

He says he got it from the game vs Arkansas State:

I guess that's ... 'better'....

Or he just wasn't invited on the bus.

Ya, if they got it while playing another team, then college football this fall will have issues. He better just go with "party bus" if he wants his team to keep playing.

Ya, if they got it while playing another team, then college football this fall will have issues. He better just go with "party bus" if he wants his team to keep playing.
It's a little late for that...

Coach be all:
37fa00efa8bb3b4c8ea10303bcabecf6.gif

I'm not a doctor so those images could be a Jimi Hendrix album cover for all I know.

Top Bottom