All Things COVID-19 College Football Impact

MennoSota

Reaction score
The NCAA has made it clear that unless college campuses are open to the entire student body in the fall, there are no plans to risk the health of student-athletes for the sake of sports.

President Mark Emmert plainly said Friday night that the NCAA will not play fall sports if the coronavirus pandemic forces schools to close campuses in the coming months.

“College athletes are college students, and you can’t have college sports if you don’t have college [campuses] open and having students on them,” Emmert said, according to the NCAA’s Twitter. “You don’t want to ever put student-athletes at greater risk than the rest of the student body.

If an athlete is enrolled and taking online courses from the school they are playing for, they should be able to play the sport, as long as it is deemed safe to do so.

These are unusual times in need of creative solutions.

What they didn't say is what happens if some schools are open and some aren't...

Going to be mess no matter what plan is developed.

The NCAA has no legal authority to dictate anything. The conferences get to make the final decision for their member schools.

Sure, the NCAA can cancel the national championship meets/tournaments that it organizes and operates on behalf of its member conferences, but it cannot forcibly prevent regular season or conference-wise post-season competitions.

And the NCAA also has literally zero control and stake in the CFP. That can do whatever it wants, with no input from the NCAA. They don't have a seat at the table.

If the NCAA threatens to sanction conferences or teams that "disobey" its decrees, then those conferences can simply tell the NCAA to go pound sand and leave the association. The NCAA literally holds zero power and zero leverage, here. Their March Madness properties would crumble and be nearly worthless if the P5 confs left and formed their own association.

If the Big Ten decides that it is in the best interest of its members to hold conference competitions, that will be done, and the NCAA can get bent if it doesn't like it.

The NCAA has no legal authority to dictate anything. The conferences get to make the final decision for their member schools.

Sure, the NCAA can cancel the national championship meets/tournaments that it organizes and operates on behalf of its member conferences, but it cannot forcibly prevent regular season or conference-wise post-season competitions.

And the NCAA also has literally zero control and stake in the CFP. That can do whatever it wants, with no input from the NCAA. They don't have a seat at the table.

If the NCAA threatens to sanction conferences or teams that "disobey" its decrees, then those conferences can simply tell the NCAA to go pound sand and leave the association. The NCAA literally holds zero power and zero leverage, here. Their March Madness properties would crumble and be nearly worthless if the P5 confs left and formed their own association.

If the Big Ten decides that it is in the best interest of its members to hold conference competitions, that will be done, and the NCAA can get bent if it doesn't like it.
The NCAA is run by the universities. It will in the end do what a majority of member schools want it to do

The schools will get to make their own final decisions if they decide not to participate. The conference can't make them.

Mountain West was already talking about this, and playing football without them.

I think that's absurd to be doing, in mid May, for Sept-Dec.

First the nation must be brought to the point of total crisis, then the election can be won by the Democrats, then the nation can return to normal. Once Joe or whomever is elected, happiness will return to America.

So Housing and Residential Life will determine if there is Gopher football in the fall. No dorms, no student-athlete, no sports.

This is not what we need. We have numerous graduates on the roster, including our starting QB.

This is not what we need. We have numerous graduates on the roster, including our starting QB.

Is that from people with actual knowledge of the discussions or just a guess?

Minnesota is peaking later than most other states so it could just be a projection based on that. If the season started today that's a reasonable guess but our cases and deaths are both projected to peak within a couple of weeks and the decision doesn't need to be made that soon.

Minnesota is peaking later than most other states so it could just be a projection based on that. If the season started today that's a reasonable guess but our cases and deaths are both projected to peak within a couple of weeks and the decision doesn't need to be made that soon.

I wouldn’t describe what is happening here as “peaking.” That curve is pretty damn flat, and about 80% of deaths are from nursing homes (Those will not rise or fall, depending on whether we have football).

Folks,

We have a perilous situation to worry about greater than sports and campus reopening.

Untill we have a vaccine or a cure, our routines, our jobs, our individual freedoms, and even our very lives are at stake.

Countries that have reopened are seeing the beginning of a new wave of the pandemic.

I lost my brother-in-law, a Vietnam Veteran, out East on Mother's Day. My sister and her family were not allowed in hospital where he died alone.

We cannot attend the funeral as only the immediate family are allowed.

He will be buried at Arlington National Cemetery. His family have to remain in their cars when they inter him.

Cal State campuses cancelled fall semester classes, except whatever can be done online. The crazy bastards really did it.

Folks,

We have a perilous situation to worry about greater than sports and campus reopening.

Untill we have a vaccine or a cure, our routines, our jobs, our individual freedoms, and even our very lives are at stake.

Countries that have reopened are seeing the beginning of a new wave of the pandemic.

I lost my brother-in-law, a Vietnam Veteran, out East on Mother's Day. My sister and her family were not allowed in hospital where he died alone.

He will be buried at Arlington National Cemetery. His family have to remain in their cars when they inter him.

I‘m sorry to near about your brother in law. Those excessive funeral and burial rules are capricious and flat out indefensible and are primarily for litigation defense, not because they do anything significant to prevent transmission of SARS—COV2.. We are doing this wrong on so many levels and in so many ways. Those same concerns about litigation are helping to shut down educations of tens of millions.

Everything that we've asked in a football coach we have in PJ Fleck plus more.

First the nation must be brought to the point of total crisis, then the election can be won by the Democrats, then the nation can return to normal. Once Joe or whomever is elected, happiness will return to America.
Umm, Joe can't remember if he's married to his wife or his sister, what day of the week it is, and occasionally rambles on about crap that happened in his life thirty years ago in the middle of speeches! He is loosing it! My Grandmother had Alzheimer's and that guy is exhibiting the same kind of tendencies she did.

So go elect Joe and let the Democratic leaders run the figurehead puppet if you want. That way we can have four more years of promises about what they are going to do for the poor and the inner cities and how they are going to increase jobs and opportunities for minorities. While all they really do is increase taxes, increase government oversight, and line the pockets of cronies like Pelosi, Steny Hoyer, Obama and the rest of the Democratic do nothings.

At least elect AOC, who as ridiculously naïve as she is, does try to actually accomplish something while helping her boyfriend make money.

But please run that nut from Minnesota out who married her brother? Is that really true? From what I hear she ain't done crap for her Somali people back home in Minnesota.

Guys, we're not having Gopher football in the fall. The nation is going to continue to prioritize the health of the very old over the lives of the young and middle aged, and thinks shutting down a campus of teenagers will do it.

This is the final take by the older generations that will leave the millennials and similar groups economically and culturally ruined, after decades of debt creation. After the aged have long left the earth (and the median Covid death is 8 years older than the American life expectancy), the group that's under 65 now will be left with an economic mess to clean up for decades.

The lives of people in nursing homes simply aren't worth this, and I'm not talking about Gopher football. I'm talking economic depression that we may never recover from. I'm sick and tired of hearing Fauci and others just talk about "lives saved". In wars, the average age of the dead is early 20s. In the Spanish Flu, it was in the 30s. Here it's the 80s. Let's not pretend like it's all the same.

Cal State campuses cancelled fall semester classes, except whatever can be done online. The crazy bastards really did it.
I have a feeling that the fat lady hasn’t finished her song yet.

This could set the three MW schools back a decade. SD in particular is trying to plan for huge growth with a new campus expansion, new football stadium, etc. They’re also gaining a division I (Big West) competitor in UC San Diego. Can they afford to sit idle while that campus gains?

Wondering if some of the campuses might band together and sue the state and/or CS system. Or try to leave the CS system. Let’s see if anything happens.

If nothing else, I think SD is a relatively republican leaning area, maybe Fresno too?

I wonder if it has anything to do with Minneapolis being more populated than say Iowa City or Lincoln?

I fear how far that might set back our program if everyone else gets to play and not us.

We’re talking about Sept, at the earliest. And it’s mid May. Sorry but no, too early yet to make such drastic decisions.

Guys, we're not having Gopher football in the fall. The nation is going to continue to prioritize the health of the very old over the lives of the young and middle aged, and thinks shutting down a campus of teenagers will do it.

This is the final take by the older generations that will leave the millennials and similar groups economically and culturally ruined, after decades of debt creation. After the aged have long left the earth (and the median Covid death is 8 years older than the American life expectancy), the group that's under 65 now will be left with an economic mess to clean up for decades.

The lives of people in nursing homes simply aren't worth this, and I'm not talking about Gopher football. I'm talking economic depression that we may never recover from. I'm sick and tired of hearing Fauci and others just talk about "lives saved". In wars, the average age of the dead is early 20s. In the Spanish Flu, it was in the 30s. Here it's the 80s. Let's not pretend like it's all the same.

I understand your take on this and it does make sense. What is a bit harsh is your comment on saying that the lives of people in nursing homes are not worth this. Do you have any loved ones that are in nursing homes that are suffering because of this? Seems like a heartless comment for you to make.

We’re talking about Sept, at the earliest. And it’s mid May. Sorry but no, too early yet to make such drastic decisions.

I agree. I think what we're scared of is that people are making these drastic decisions already.

LA is looking to lock down until August. Already. They don't even have it bad. It's not being based on numbers, it's being based on state politics. This is going to become a huge red state/blue state drama. I'm a devout liberal and I think the red states will be right.

Risk-aversion here is going to be greater than our wildest dreams. Months to years of lockdowns to come. Economies and cultural fabrics destroyed beyond repair in the greatest self-inflicted wound of panic in American history.

Folks,

People have always, every day of every month of every year, died from contagious diseases no more or less lethal than this particular disease. If, like me and my wife, you are over age 60, you should take this disease as a real threat to you and your life. Otherwise, get on with life as we have always, in every case, done thoughout human history.

I agree. I think what we're scared of is that people are making these drastic decisions already.

LA is looking to lock down until August. Already. They don't even have it bad. It's not being based on numbers, it's being based on state politics. This is going to become a huge red state/blue state drama. I'm a devout liberal and I think the red states will be right.

Risk-aversion here is going to be greater than our wildest dreams. Months to years of lockdowns to come. Economies and cultural fabrics destroyed beyond repair in the greatest self-inflicted wound of panic in American history.
Iowa is going to reopen in the fall. I would say it is a purple-ish state. Minnesota historically leans blue, but can also be purple-ish at times.

I hope Minnesota follows Iowa's lead, for once. I want and expect the U of MN campuses to be open this fall, with the full understanding that it still won't be exactly like it was last fall. That's fine. They'll probably need online classes for the big undergrad lectures, etc. Maybe dorm capacity has to be limited. Etc. But they need to be open.

I understand your take on this and it does make sense. What is a bit harsh is your comment on saying that the lives of people in nursing homes are not worth this. Do you have any loved ones that are in nursing homes that are suffering because of this? Seems like a heartless comment for you to make.

Not currently, but I have had grandparents who were in nursing homes in years past. The suffering happened before they died, not after. Each one, I was relieved to hear of their death after seeing what their lives had decayed into. Each had told me they were ready to go years before it happened.

This is starting to get way deeper than Gopher football, but I think there's a severe lack of nuance going on at the policy level, where we're saying "a death is a death" but not considering the quality of life, nor the duration of remaining life. Where we pretend like every population group is at the same level of risk. That shotgun approach risks the economy, culture, education, health, and security of the vast majority of Americans who won't get sick or die.

Top Bottom