All Things COVID-19 College Football Impact

These are all real issues, I am very well aware of all of them. Do not try to paint my disagreement as ignorance please. I just disagree that these issues are what’s eroding public trust in science. The average person has no clue about these things. If we were to survey the general population, how many would know who Wakefield, Poti, Stapel, Wansink, etc even are? 1% even?

However, politicians and media taking an anecdote like we’ve discussed here and saying “listen to science see a doctor said it!” And then an opposing politician finds their own doctor with an opposing opinion and does basically the same thing... Or rightfully attacking one of these anecdotal opinions, but then characterizing it to be symptomatic that science failing us as a whole, when we’re all in agreement, this isn’t science...these things are eroding public trust in science.

What percent are anti-vaxx. You are understating by a power of 10+.

What experts should be saying is “I don’t know” but here are my degrees of uncertainty and here is why I say that (in 20 sec or less because that’s the attention span). Politicians, experts, ideologues don’t like nuances. Blame the media for running with bad takes. Blame experts talking out of their posteriors. Blame soft science that has more in common with economics passed off as hard science in the lay press.

What percent are anti-vaxx. You are understating by a power of 10+.

What experts should be saying is “I don’t know” but here are my degrees of uncertainty and here is why I say that (in 20 sec or less because that’s the attention span). Politicians, experts, ideologues don’t like nuances. Blame the media for running with bad takes. Blame experts talking out of their posteriors. Blame soft science that has more in common with economics passed off as hard science in the lay press.
How many thought leaders and field leaders are out there getting interviewed? “Expert” is another politicized term, “listen to the experts” usually means listen to the person with the initials behind their name I got to give this hot take I agree with. I feel like we’re in agreement that’s it’s not the science but the translation of the science and how science works to the public that’s the problem. If not, oh well, agree to disagree on this one.

Last edited:

10 lawmakers from 6 states including Minnesota wrote a letter to the Big Ten Office imploring them to reconsider the decision to cancel the football season. All ten who signed the letter are Republicans. Figures.

I hope it is looking really good ... for games on Tgiving weekend.
What's the difference between playing now, or Thanksgiving weekend? None really, other than the election is over and everyone will have calmed down some.

The only obstacle to playing now is decision makers stepping out of the giant hole they have dug for themselves, and changing course on a bad decision.

What's the difference between playing now, or Thanksgiving weekend? None really, other than the election is over and everyone will have calmed down some.

The only obstacle to playing now is decision makers stepping out of the giant hole they have dug for themselves, and changing course on a bad decision.
The difference is the ability to be part of the college football playoffs for the BIG and the bowl games. Not sure if that is important or not, but certainly a huge difference for the conference.

Who the Fck cares?

my response to thread title.

There potential for better rapid testing (That PAC-12 research initiative could pay off big-time and help avoid cross-team infections better) and even better treatment options in the rare case an athlete gets hospitalized. Plus its also 2-2.5 more months of information about COVID.

Whether you think those are valid reasons to wait is one thing, but to say there is no difference between playing now and beginning Thanksgiving weekend is just flat out wrong.

There potential for better rapid testing (That PAC-12 research initiative could pay off big-time and help avoid cross-team infections better) and even better treatment options in the rare case an athlete gets hospitalized. Plus its also 2-2.5 more months of information about COVID.

Whether you think those are valid reasons to wait is one thing, but to say there is no difference between playing now and beginning Thanksgiving weekend is just flat out wrong.
Agree with this.

And I present the reverse challenge to Herd: if there is no difference, why shouldn’t have the rest of the FBS confs postponed starting until Tgiving??

Especially in the South, where they can play outside without needing snow removal, year round.

Well, quite sure we're going to be having BIG football soon because Kurt Daudt and Paul Gazelka wish it so. A used car salesman's and insurance salesman's understanding of the medical issues will certainly impress the decision makers more than the doctors and scientists at major research universities. And some of you didn't believe Mr. Yacht.

Thanksgiving start is the best that can be hoped for at this point. Covid dynamics really have not changed much (many campuses awash in Covid), so why would the decision to delay be reversed? Dont see it happening.

He owned a football team.
He had no interest until someone explained how much he could make in the end by selling out. All for the money, and not for the good of football in the long run.

Agree with this.

And I present the reverse challenge to Herd: if there is no difference, why shouldn’t have the rest of the FBS confs postponed starting until Tgiving??

Especially in the South, where they can play outside without needing snow removal, year round.
Geez, I don’t know, so games can be played when it’s 60 degrees out vs -10F? It’s rather obvious why you wouldn’t play in the middle of winter.

Geez, I don’t know, so games can be played when it’s 60 degrees out vs -10F? It’s rather obvious why you wouldn’t play in the middle of winter.

So is there a difference or is there not a difference?

why shouldn’t have the rest of the FBS confs postponed starting until Tgiving??

Very misleading. I think the better title would be, "20-year old dies from Covid-19 Complications"

He wasn't playing football and they've given no details on his complications.

I'm afraid this will only serve to strengthen the resolve of the "everyone should be playing this fall!" tribe.

That's how cults work. No matter what happens, it gets spun into "evidence" that supports what you want to be true.

They'll cook up some way to frame it as "if only their team had been playing this fall, maybe he would've gotten screened better and survived", or some other such made-up BS.

BMI > 40 is huge risk factor. BMI is also risk factor for rare influenza related complications/death.Very sorry for this person’s friends and family.

Correct me if I’m wrong but the argument has not been zero complications or deaths will occur in this age group - ~ 250-300 deaths and certainly some complications have occurred nationwide- but rather whether football players specifically are more or less likely to contract the virus and suffer complications at home or within the program‘s artificial bubble.

I'm afraid this will only serve to strengthen the resolve of the "everyone should be playing this fall!" tribe.

That's how cults work. No matter what happens, it gets spun into "evidence" that supports what you want to be true.

They'll cook up some way to frame it as "if only their team had been playing this fall, maybe he would've gotten screened better and survived", or some other such made-up BS.

Meh. As he wasn’t playing football, can sports be blamed for this illness? What could he have realistically done differently?

BMI > 40 is huge risk factor. BMI is also risk factor for rare influenza related complications/death.Very sorry for this person’s friends and family.

Correct me if I’m wrong but the argument has not been zero complications or deaths will occur in this age group - ~ 250-300 deaths and certainly some complications have occurred nationwide- but rather whether football players specifically are more or less likely to contract the virus and suffer complications at home or within the program‘s artificial bubble.
You are wrong.

The argument has always been: "should we postpone fall athletics to the spring, to give a chance for more knowledge and better treatment (and hopefully outright prevention) of the disease to take hold, and therefore reduce the risk of these athletes being infected from other teams by playing games?"

Meh. As he wasn’t playing football, can sports be blamed for this illness? What could he have realistically done differently?
Correct, playing football this fall would not have given him a better chance to survive.

You are wrong.

The argument has always been: "should we postpone fall athletics to the spring, to give a chance for more knowledge and better treatment (and hopefully outright prevention) of the disease to take hold, and therefore reduce the risk of these athletes being infected from other teams by playing games?"

Spring is not happening lol... you keep saying this, but unless the B1G somehow starts in October... there will not be a season.

The whole argument has been that young people really won't die from this - especially athletes. So what now?

The argument is that people should have the choice. That’s it. If anyone feels any extra risk (if there is any) playing football, they should be able to choose not to play. If that risk is worth it to others... they should be able to play. I saw an article noting that 26,000 cases had been confirmed at US universities (not sure if this kid’s college doesn’t report or what) and there were 0 Hospitalizations.

The argument is that people should have the choice. That’s it. If anyone feels any extra risk (if there is any) playing football, they should be able to choose not to play. If that risk is worth it to others... they should be able to play. I saw an article noting that 26,000 cases had been confirmed at US universities (not sure if this kid’s college doesn’t report or what) and there were 0 Hospitalizations.

Attachments

• D9AE8921-E1CE-45CD-A07A-57063E7AF088.png
    D9AE8921-E1CE-45CD-A07A-57063E7AF088.png
    671 KB · Views: 25

Spring is not happening lol... you keep saying this, but unless the B1G somehow starts in October... there will not be a season.
But there’s no difference between starting in October and Tgiving, we’ve been told repeatedly. Therefore, if they start at Tgiving, then there will be a season.

If some players want to play, that therefore forces the university to assume the risk of having the team?

The university gets a choice, too.

Top Bottom