All Things Class of 2015 Recruiting - Class Finally Complete? Nope Chris Obekpa visit

What kind of competition is he playing against?

Team they were playing was the 23rd seed, but they are a small team. Tallest player was 6'8 but he wasn't the starter. So it was a favorable matchup for Boucher.

Boucher finishes with 29 pts, 16rbs, and at least 8 blocks. He was 3-6 from 3 and 8-11 from the line. Had a few dunks off of lobs and a nice drive and finish off a shot fake at the 3 point line. He's a very intruiging prospect, but it is hard to get over his very slight build. Definetly need to see him against bigger competition to get a better gauge of him.

I'm not so worried about his body. Those numbers (which aren't unusual at all if you check his game log) are indicative of a guy who has great hops, quickness, and pretty good shooting skills. Kevin Durant was a bean pole as a freshman but he still put up fantastic numbers. He also astounded observers by not being able to do one bench press at the normal weight during the NBA combine (I think a few guys could do 20 or more). We all know how he turned out. Richard Hamilton was extremely skinny in his younger days and he had a fine career. At the other extreme was Charles Barkley who couldn't possibly be that quick at 6'6" (probably more like 6'5") and 260 but he was.

Boucher's teammate, good buddy, and fellow Canadian, William Desilian, describes him as a "freak of nature." Those guys above were freaks of nature. If I were Pitino, I would offer a package deal for both Boucher and Desilian (a high scoring shooting guard in his own right) because a 2 for 1 would be worth it and any significant production from Desilian would just be icing on the cake. But, I expect that Pitino will blow this and go for a lesser power forward with more traditional measurements.

Let me answer that question by asking you another - Which one of our power forwards do you think would score 29 points, grab 16 rebounds, and have 11 blocks in the second round of the National Junior College Championship Tournament?

Haha

Was Pitino there watching Boucher today?

I'm not so worried about his body. Those numbers (which aren't unusual at all if you check his game log) are indicative of a guy who has great hops, quickness, and pretty good shooting skills. Kevin Durant was a bean pole as a freshman but he still put up fantastic numbers. He also astounded observers by not being able to do one bench press at the normal weight during the NBA combine (I think a few guys could do 20 or more). We all know how he turned out. Richard Hamilton was extremely skinny in his younger days and he had a fine career. At the other extreme was Charles Barkley who couldn't possibly be that quick at 6'6" (probably more like 6'5") and 260 but he was.

Boucher's teammate, good buddy, and fellow Canadian, William Desilian, describes him as a "freak of nature." Those guys above were freaks of nature. If I were Pitino, I would offer a package deal for both Boucher and Desilian (a high scoring shooting guard in his own right) because a 2 for 1 would be worth it and any significant production from Desilian would just be icing on the cake. But, I expect that Pitino will blow this and go for a lesser power forward with more traditional measurements.

Not a fan of Desilian at all. Plays incredibly undisciplined basketball. He had 11 turnovers in todays game. We already have a former Juco player who plays undisciplined. I'm with ya on Boucher though. With three schollys left he is probably worth taking a flyer on. His wingspan has to be in the 7'4 range and he looks to be a pretty good rebounder oit of the zone, which we play alot of. Offensively he stretches the floor nicely and can hit the three at a decent rate.

Kevin Durant is a perimeter player, who has good handles for is size. Boucher doesn't have that aspect to his game. But I understand what you are saying.

Let me answer that question by asking you another -

Which one of our power forwards do you think would score 29 points, grab 16 rebounds, and have 11 blocks in the second round of the National Junior College Championship Tournament?

I think I know the answer.

Give me Ellison, Boucher and Russo. That would get me pretty damn excited for next year.

PG - Dorsey/Johnson
SG - Mason/McBreyer
SF - Buggs/Morris/Ellison
PF - Boucher/Russo/King
C - Konate/Diedhiou/Nwankwo

ETA: Yeah, yeah, yeah King probably won't be our 3rd PF, but a guy can dream, can't he?

Anything like that does make us pretty fun to root for and watch improve. Let's do it! It'd be exciting to see if we could shock people.

Not a fan of Desilian at all. Plays incredibly undisciplined basketball. He had 11 turnovers in todays game. We already have a former Juco player who plays undisciplined. I'm with ya on Boucher though. With three schollys left he is probably worth taking a flyer on. His wingspan has to be in the 7'4 range and he looks to be a pretty good rebounder oit of the zone, which we play alot of. Offensively he stretches the floor nicely and can hit the three at a decent rate.

Kevin Durant is a perimeter player, who has good handles for is size. Boucher doesn't have that aspect to his game. But I understand what you are saying.

OK, I just watched the first half of the game against Cape Fear. As far as Desilian, he has absolutely no business being a point guard (and there is no way he would be on our team) but he might be able to give some decent minutes as a shooting guard. He's aggressive, reasonably athletic, and a pretty fair natural scorer. With three scholarships, I would give them both a scholarship if that would seal the deal to get Boucher.

As for Boucher, he looks like he's going only half speed in this game. If he had to crank it up a notch he would be more impressive. He has really quick reflexes on defense, he can shoot, and he can even pass. He is ridiculously skinny, but he is no skinnier than the Egyptian we recruited last year who went to Louisville. He wouldn't have to play center here so wouldn't have to bang around with 250 pounders.

OK, I just watched the first half of the game against Cape Fear. As far as Desilian, he has absolutely no business being a point guard (and there is no way he would be on our team) but he might be able to give some decent minutes as a shooting guard. He's aggressive, reasonably athletic, and a pretty fair natural scorer. With three scholarships, I would give them both a scholarship if that would seal the deal to get Boucher.

As for Boucher, he looks like he's going only half speed in this game. If he had to crank it up a notch he would be more impressive. He has really quick reflexes on defense, he can shoot, and he can even pass. He is ridiculously skinny, but he is no skinnier than the Egyptian we recruited last year who went to Louisville. He wouldn't have to play center here so wouldn't have to bang around with 250 pounders.
I'd guess only 2 of the 3 scholarships will be used this spring unless one of them is used on a grad transfer. From what I've read it seems like the Gophers are focused on adding a 3 and a 4 this spring and banking the other scholarship for 2016 unless there is a special situation like a grad transfer. I wouldn't mind getting Boucher but I'd like to see how he plays against more size so hopefully he has to deal with that in he next game. As far as the other guy unless he can play the 3 I don't think there would be a lot of interest in him even if it would land you Boucher I don't think it would be worth it.

I wouldn't mind getting Boucher but I'd like to see how he plays against more size so hopefully he has to deal with that in he next game. As far as the other guy unless he can play the 3 I don't think there would be a lot of interest in him even if it would land you Boucher I don't think it would be worth it.

What are you talking about? Yes, of course, be prudent and patient. The guy already has about 6 offers including some majors like Oklahoma State. That's a great way to lose a player. As far as the other player, you're talking about the 12th or 13 scholarship. Much better to give that to the next Kendall Shell I guess.

I'd guess only 2 of the 3 scholarships will be used this spring unless one of them is used on a grad transfer.

We're unlikely to get a quality grad transfer. Purdue getting John Octeus was damn near a minor miracle.

What are you talking about? Yes, of course, be prudent and patient. The guy already has about 6 offers including some majors like Oklahoma State. That's a great way to lose a player. As far as the other player, you're talking about the 12th or 13 scholarship. Much better to give that to the next Kendall Shell I guess.
I didn't say anything about needing to wait to offer Boucher just that I would like to see how he performs against more size. I just think they will bank one of the scholarships for the 2016 class otherwise you only have 1 scholarship available for that class going into the summer. I think one scholarship will be used on a 3 and my guess is that will most likely end up Ellison or Kohl and the other scholarship will be used on a 4/5 which definitely could be a juco like Boucher or Russo. I would much rather bank the 3rd scholarship and have it available for a guy like Steffon Mitchell if he impresses during the summer than use it on a guy just to land Boucher.

I don't know if this was mentioned yet but Ellison was recently offered by Wake Forest and South Carolina.

new rule eliminating immediate availability hardship waivers (add a 6th year of eligibility instead). not that any were on the table for the Gophers this year.

Hate to shine light on the post season parade but, to me, next year's Gophers are a scoring wing away from a top six team in the BIG. It's all about how the pieces fit together...
Jarvis Johnson is a true point guard with unbelievable handles. He will penetrate at will and create a lot of offense near the rim. Jonathan Nwankwo is the next Mbakwe. He is a true center that, when given the ball off the dribble drive, will dunk in anyone's face. Plus he has a man's body to rebound. Dupree McBrayer is a silky smooth, ball handling shooting guard whose effortless play reminds you of Tyus. Look for this kid to surprise a lot of people. Kevin Dorsey is more of a scoring point guard which will complement Jarvis' limitations on the perimeter.
If Konate can bulk up and rebound a little better, King can provide steady spot-up shooting, Mason keeps improving his all-around game, and Morris learns to play some defense, I'm really beginning to like the team we have next year.

Hate to shine light on the post season parade but, to me, next year's Gophers are a scoring wing away from a top six team in the BIG. It's all about how the pieces fit together...
Jarvis Johnson is a true point guard with unbelievable handles. He will penetrate at will and create a lot of offense near the rim. Jonathan Nwankwo is the next Mbakwe. He is a true center that, when given the ball off the dribble drive, will dunk in anyone's face. Plus he has a man's body to rebound. Dupree McBrayer is a silky smooth, ball handling shooting guard whose effortless play reminds you of Tyus. Look for this kid to surprise a lot of people. Kevin Dorsey is more of a scoring point guard which will complement Jarvis' limitations on the perimeter.
If Konate can bulk up and rebound a little better, King can provide steady spot-up shooting, Mason keeps improving his all-around game, and Morris learns to play some defense, I'm really beginning to like the team we have next year.

I have no idea who you are - but I certainly hope that you are a member of the coaching staff. Whatever Kool-aid you are drinking please send us all a case of it. I really like what you are selling there. :)

I think you need to temper your expectations, outside of top ~75 guards and top 50 Big men you can't expect players to jump in and be great immediately(Nwankwo, While I hope he is a beast, and the highlights show it, he probably isn't Mbakwe yet. Do you remember Mbakwe's freshman year at marquette? me niether).

I think you need to temper your expectations, outside of top ~75 guards and top 50 Big men you can't expect players to jump in and be great immediately(Nwankwo, While I hope he is a beast, and the highlights show it, he probably isn't Mbakwe yet. Do you remember Mbakwe's freshman year at marquette? me niether).

Yup.

Freshman need to be freshman in this program, and we need to let them become seniors under the same coach. Or else this conversation starts over way too soon.

I don't know if we will be top 6 in the B1G but if we are able to add a good 3 and 4 I do think this team can compete for an NCAA tourney spot. The freshmen that are coming in are much better fits for the style the Gophers want to play and also very talented as well. I'm not at all expecting a step back next season like some others may be.

I'm saying these freshmen are physically able to compete- next year. The only thing we're missing is a 6'8" player that can shoot and slash from the perimeter (someone with Andrew Wiggins-like skills) who will allow our three great point guards a pass-out option. Then we'll be able to make the space in the front court that we couldn't this year. Nwanko inside, McBrayer and scoring wing outside, and Jarvis and Mason and Dorsey driving the lanes- SCARY!

I'm saying these freshmen are physically able to compete- next year. The only thing we're missing is a 6'8" player that can shoot and slash from the perimeter (someone with Andrew Wiggins-like skills) who will allow our three great point guards a pass-out option. Then we'll be able to make the space in the front court that we couldn't this year. Nwanko inside, McBrayer and scoring wing outside, and Jarvis and Mason and Dorsey driving the lanes- SCARY!

The only problem is there aren't a lot of 6'8 sharp shooting slashing athletes out there and they typically don't come to Minnesota. I'm sure a lot of teams would make the tourney next year if you added Andrew wiggins to their lineup

Freshman need to be freshman in this program, and we need to let them become seniors under the same coach. Or else this conversation starts over way too soon.

This. It gets hard for fans to let the process to develop, but its what Bo Ryan has done so well, especially with their Bigs. I hope we have the stability and talent to see the process through.

Go Gophers!!

I don't know if we will be top 6 in the B1G but if we are able to add a good 3 and 4 I do think this team can compete for an NCAA tourney spot. The freshmen that are coming in are much better fits for the style the Gophers want to play and also very talented as well. I'm not at all expecting a step back next season like some others may be.

That's the big unknown. He finally has enough bodies able to play his style of ball and I'm really hoping to see a glimpse of the future next season. Can his system steal a couple wins while the young guys mature?

Boucher has 19pts, 9rbs, and 3 blocks at halftime against NW Florida, the number 2 ranked juco team in the country. NW Florida have committed a staggering 24 fouls in the first half.

Does anyone know how much interest we have in Boucher? Are any of the coaches even there watching him?

Does anyone know how much interest we have in Boucher? Are any of the coaches even there watching him?

We as in gopherhole? GH thinks he's a starter on next years squad.

Haven't seen where we've(University of Minnesota) has even offered him yet.

Percentages can be a bitch...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gophers kicking the tires on another Juco

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Indiana State and Murray State have offered AJ Patty from Vincennes. Minnesota now showing interest as well
<a href="http://t.co/acKgDvefIX">http://t.co/acKgDvefIX</a></p>— Brad Winton (@JucoRecruiting) <a href="https://twitter.com/JucoRecruiting/status/578632231175868416">March 19, 2015</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Top Bottom