All Things Class of 2015 Recruiting - Class Finally Complete? Nope Chris Obekpa visit

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Team Takeover's Kevin Dorsey is the latest to receive a Gopher offer. He is a point guard in the 2015 class.</p>— Ryan James (@RyanJamesMN) <a href="https://twitter.com/RyanJamesMN/statuses/461609507496267777">April 30, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

http://247sports.com/Player/Kevin-Dorsey-27329

It's refreshing to see Pitino going after a number of PGs in 2015 instead of solely counting on Johnson. The days of putting all of our eggs in the Cory Jospeh basket seem like eons ago.

It's refreshing to see Pitino going after a number of PGs in 2015 instead of solely counting on Johnson. The days of putting all of our eggs in the Cory Jospeh basket seem like eons ago.

Agreed that's how you get stuck with guys like Mav

Agreed that's how you get stuck with guys like Mav

Yeah, but you lose the ability to tell the recruit. You're the only guy I'm recruiting because I like you that much. You're my guy.

Can you imagine the power that line must have on today's youth...

Yeah, but you lose the ability to tell the recruit. You're the only guy I'm recruiting because I like you that much. You're my guy.

Can you imagine the power that line must have on today's youth...

Lol no kidding, I imagine recruiting to be a lot like running for public office or selling used cars

If you guys have ever seen the movie "Hoop Dreams" when they are recruiting William Gates the coach says their recruiting like 5 or 6 guys. He said if you commit then I'm not looking at anymore guys.

True, but if a kid is hearing that same line from 10-15 other schools you lose your point of differentiation. Better to hedge your bets and cast a wider net, IMO.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Minnesota has offered Kenny Williams, a 2015 SG from Boo Williams (VA), a source says.</p>— Alex Kline (@TheRecruitScoop) <a href="https://twitter.com/TheRecruitScoop/statuses/461658012961091584">May 1, 2014</a></blockquote>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Minnesota has offered Kenny Williams, a 2015 SG from Boo Williams (VA), a source says.</p>— Alex Kline (@TheRecruitScoop) <a href="https://twitter.com/TheRecruitScoop/statuses/461658012961091584">May 1, 2014</a></blockquote>

I certainly wouldn't mind if Pitino and the staff established a relationship with the Boo Williams program! They are always producing talented players.

Johnson, Illikainen, and Manyang would be an amazing recruiting class. Throw in Lofton who's essentially with that group and you got practically the entire state covered: Minneapolis, St. Paul, Duluth, and the Range.

True, but if a kid is hearing that same line from 10-15 other schools you lose your point of differentiation. Better to hedge your bets and cast a wider net, IMO.
I was kidding... I agree, it's not a good idea trying to recruit one pg and telling himhe's your dude...

Johnson, Illikainen, and Manyang would be an amazing recruiting class. Throw in Lofton who's essentially with that group and you got practically the entire state covered: Minneapolis, St. Paul, Duluth, and the Range.

Dont we need a Small Forward? I think Manyang will be only brought in if both Gaston and Konate are ill prepared to start after MO and EE leave. I think Manyang was just looked at seriously before we got both of the two foreign big guys.

Dont we need a Small Forward? I think Manyang will be only brought in if both Gaston and Konate are ill prepared to start after MO and EE leave. I think Manyang was just looked at seriously before we got both of the two foreign big guys.

We'll see how good they turn out to be. Manyang is a big-time talent and would fit really well. If Gaston or Konate need time to develop, it'd be nice to have them learn behind Manyang for a couple years.

I will say what the whole room is saying/has said...anything short of Illikainen and Johnson would be a major disappointment.

We offered a ton of PG's last year (Newton, Perkins, Nairn, Robinson, etc) and we missed on all of them. Whether we offer a number of guys or just a few, we need to get some of those highly recruited guys to say yes. I believe Pitino will deliver this year now that he's not playing catch up.

The days of just having warm bodies to fill out the roster is gone. Pitino is going to bring in the best position players he can get, Every Year! As we progress, the players he brings in will be better and the competition for playing time will make the team better.

We'll need another center. Konate may be the only one capable of playing center in the 2015-2016 season.

The class has 4 openings I think we see the Gophers add a PG, C, wing, and possibly another PF or a Wing. This is why, I think its clear Johnson and Illkanian are the top two targets one at PG a big time need and the other at PF a position that isn't the biggest need but in Pitino's system he could spend time at C. If Illkanian doesn't become a Gopher we may not sign a PF type player. I do think we sign a wing and a C because after next season we will be really short in the depth department. The final spot is a wild card if Illkainian doesn't wear maroon and gold. It could go to another wing player either a SF or OG.

The reason I don't think the Gopher have to bring in several wing players is we already have Lofton in the fold. He will be sitting out the year and will be ready to contribute in 2015.

Every Year! As we progress, the players he brings in will be better and the competition for playing time will make the team better.

Well remember that most coaches, like most other people, tend to reach a certain limit on improvements.

I believe they'll have four spots with this class (not counting Lofton) so yes, a SF would make the most logical sense for that last spot if Pitino can work his magic and reel in Johnson, Illikainen, and Manyang.

As for the second half of your comment, I have little doubt Pitino will take Manyang if he wants to come here considering he'll be losing both Mo and EE.

I believe they'll have four spots with this class (not counting Lofton) so yes, a SF would make the most logical sense for that last spot if Pitino can work his magic and reel in Johnson, Illikainen, and Manyang.

As for the second half of your comment, I have little doubt Pitino will take Manyang if he wants to come here considering he'll be losing both Mo and EE.

Yeah the more I think about it Manyang will be gladly recieved by Pitino, makes sense. At first I was thinking we would have excess bodies at the 4 and 5 if we added both Illikainen and Manyang, but 5 guys total (including Martin, Konate, and Gatson) is not too many at those 2 positions over the next few years. Also Manyang or another Juco Center will create a little more balance for the classes.

Yeah the more I think about it Manyang will be gladly recieved by Pitino, makes sense. At first I was thinking we would have excess bodies at the 4 and 5 if we added both Illikainen and Manyang, but 5 guys total (including Martin, Konate, and Gatson) is not too many at those 2 positions over the next few years. Also Manyang or another Juco Center will create a little more balance for the classes.

We would have alot of bodies at the 4 in 2015 if we bring in Illikainen. King/Martin/Illikainen/Diedihou/Buggs. That's why I'm not confident that Buggs has a future with the Gophers. As far as Manyang goes, he is one of the top JUCO recruits in the country and would most likely start for us right away if he decides to be a Gopher.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

We would have alot of bodies at the 4 in 2015 if we bring in Illikainen. King/Martin/Illikainen/Diedihou/Buggs. That's why I'm not confident that Buggs has a future with the Gophers. As far as Manyang goes, he is one of the top JUCO recruits in the country and would most likely start for us right away if he decides to be a Gopher.

I think he's gone this year, IF we can get Martin AND Lofton isn't walking on for one year.

I think he's gone next year, IF we lock up Illikainen+Manyang AND Buggs doesn't show any potential to be a combo forward.

Those are the two scenarios where I could see the staff suggesting he look to another program where he could get more playing time. I would still prefer we keep Buggs if possible (ie I really hope we get Martin and Lofton walks on this year) because I think he has a ton of potential.

Yeah I didn't realize I left out Buggs, but thats fully due to my firm subconcious belief that he will be gone by the end of this year.

Also I was referring to post King era

Trier:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>UCLA and Kansas have both called and extended offers to me. <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Bruins&src=hash">#Bruins</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23JayHawks&src=hash">#JayHawks</a></p>— Allonzo Trier (@ISO_Zo) <a href="https://twitter.com/ISO_Zo/statuses/461969258772439040">May 1, 2014</a></blockquote>

Go Gophers!!

Trier:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>UCLA and Kansas have both called and extended offers to me. <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Bruins&src=hash">#Bruins</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23JayHawks&src=hash">#JayHawks</a></p>— Allonzo Trier (@ISO_Zo) <a href="https://twitter.com/ISO_Zo/statuses/461969258772439040">May 1, 2014</a></blockquote>

Go Gophers!!

Who wants to go to those schools?

I think he's gone this year, IF we can get Martin AND Lofton isn't walking on for one year.

I think he's gone next year, IF we lock up Illikainen+Manyang AND Buggs doesn't show any potential to be a combo forward.

Those are the two scenarios where I could see the staff suggesting he look to another program where he could get more playing time. I would still prefer we keep Buggs if possible (ie I really hope we get Martin and Lofton walks on this year) because I think he has a ton of potential.

Can you cite one example where a D1 scholarship transfer changed schools and walked on for his year of ineligibility?

Can you cite one example where a D1 scholarship transfer changed schools and walked on for his year of ineligibility?

Carson Shanks, though he didn't qualify. So we know Pitino has considered this idea before.

“They have told me that they see me as an impact player down the line,” Shanks told Monter on GopherHole.com. “As of right now, through this next semester, if I get admitted, I will be a walk-on. They have made it very clear that they would be very happy if I came in and earned a scholarship and they think that I can do that.”

After doing some google searching, it seems like Busch would fit that description as well.

I talked with Jarvis for a bit recently and it didn't sound like he was going to be a gopher, He gave me a Tyus Jones feel about the situation :(

Top Bottom