All Things Chet Holmgren Recruitment Thread (Class of 2021, Gophers Have Offered)

Personally, I don't have a lot of interest in one-and-dones. They're on the fast track and use college as a pit-stop. Nothing more. Chet falls right in line with the rest of them.

I'm more interested in players who grow with their teammates and want to represent their programs and schools. Gonzaga gets a lot of national pub and the talking heads drool over Few.

It makes sense for someone who wants to moonlight in college for a year. Get tons of love, win a bunch of games for one year and then look for those dollars.

It just doesn't build anything. And that's what the U needs. They don't need one-and-dones. They need to build a lasting foundation and they won't get it having a player like Holmgren for one year.
The one and done rule has changed college basketball into the have and have nots...It should be 3 minimum or let them go straight out of high school.

No way of knowing that. Seems like she had a better chance at UCONN ut it only matters what Paige thinks.
Respectful disagree. Her being the player of the year had nothing to do with what she thought it had a large degree of her talent and where she played. If she played at the U her exposure would have been measurably less, her chance of elevating MN to #1 in the country would have been measurably less, and while her performance in the tournament is not to be considered in her being named player of the year, would she have been able to take the U to the final 4 is highly doubtful.

He's both a legacy and in-state, let's not go overboard on the we don't need yah.
Sorry. Went down that road once with Kris Humphries and with another player who looked like a one and done in Rick Rickert. In both cases, it basically led to a whole lot of nothing. I'll take a pass on one-and-dones until we have a better and more solid foundation.

I'm not so sure about that. While they are quite different players....I could see the draw of playing for Ewing. Georgetown is a program with strong history and is on the rise.

I could see someone like Oturu wanting to play for Ewing. Chet is very different.

I wouldn't really consider Georgetown on the rise either. Ewing has been there for 4 years now and his record is Pitino esque. They only got hot for the conference tourney this season, otherwise they would have missed the NCAA tournament all 4 years Ewing has been there.

They do have a very good class committed for next season though.

What is the meaning and purpose of sports? Without him, they don't run to the national final, which is a defining achievement for both the program and him. And the things he he did in one of the greatest games in the history of the collegiate sport... That's an amazing legacy.
For many, college is a stop to the professional ranks. CFB & CBB are the de facto minor leagues. So for Suggs the purpose of CBB was like a gap year: a fun year of personal growth.

An "amazing legacy" in the halls of Gonzaga? Puh-leaze. He had a good year there. It was going to be a Top 5 team with or without him. They were #1 much of the year. He was a solid part of it.

If he played for the Gophers and we made the NCAA field and won a game or two it isn't an "amazing legacy" either. Did Jason Kidd leave "an amazing legacy" at Cal? I guess I'm really not sure what the standard is.

My point is that Chet isn't make or break for getting the Gophers on track. Bleed doesn't seem to agree that one-year guys (aside from Anthony, which is why I said rarely) haven't done that much when you look back at it. Reasonable people can disagree on that.

Reactions: MRJ

Sorry. Went down that road once with Kris Humphries and with another player who looked like a one and done in Rick Rickert. In both cases, it basically led to a whole lot of nothing. I'll take a pass on one-
The system is completely different now, especially with transfers, to me the logic just doesn't hold. Additionally we didn't hire a development coach we hired a recruiter, Mark Coyle completely disagrees with your stance.

Sorry. Went down that road once with Kris Humphries and with another player who looked like a one and done in Rick Rickert. In both cases, it basically led to a whole lot of nothing. I'll take a pass on one-and-dones until we have a better and more solid foundation.
One-and-a-half and done with Joel Przybilla.

I pull for all these guys. They aren't what really matters in college basketball very often.

Reactions: MRJ

Respectful disagree. Her being the player of the year had nothing to do with what she thought it had a large degree of her talent and where she played. If she played at the U her exposure would have been measurably less, her chance of elevating MN to #1 in the country would have been measurably less, and while her performance in the tournament is not to be considered in her being named player of the year, would she have been able to take the U to the final 4 is highly doubtful.
she likely would have a great opportunity in coming years, and her stature would be much higher ala Lindsay if she did so. Take more than a 1-year horizon on it because you can in women’s hoops

The system is completely different now, especially with transfers, to me the logic just doesn't hold. Additionally we didn't hire a development coach we hired a recruiter, Mark Coyle completely disagrees with your stance.
With the transfer rules, it's become even more difficult to build anything, especially since players at losing programs (like the U's) will always be tempted to leave. All the more reason for Johnson to focus on getting on solid ground than going hard after one-and-dones, even if they are from Minnesota.

Bummer but not surprising. Gonzaga makes a ton of sense for Chet so I am sure it will work out well for him.

Good thing is we can close the book on this one and move on to focusing on guys that want to play here.

If Chet had really cared what we thought he would have picked the U. He doesn't and he didn't. Never the less I look forward watching the replays of him play next year, even if it's not at the U.

With the transfer rules, it's become even more difficult to build anything, especially since players at losing programs (like the U's) will always be tempted to leave. All the more reason for Johnson to focus on getting on solid ground than going hard after one-and-dones, even if they are from Minnesota.

I get your viewpoint but I think in the long run having more local guys who played at MN be around the scene, the better. I don't think Chet ends up at Gonzaga if not for Suggs.

For example, lets say Suggs went to the U and left after one year. We would have years of Suggs being an NBA player and former Gopher hanging around the circuit. We'd have a group of 8th graders who idolize Suggs who would be watching him play at the U. His dad would probably a bigger fan of the U.

There is all of this and I think these types of players will definitely lead to more wins. We need to get those wheels rolling and anything we can do to help that process, I'm all for.

Lastly, as far as Rickert not helping. I think his legacy is a little underappreciated (likely due to unrealistic expectations). The year before Rickert was on campus, we were 5-11 in the Big 10. The year after he left, we were 3-13 in the Big 10. His two seasons? 9-7 and 8-8 respectively. He helped bring us out of an absolute dumpster fire.

If Chet had really cared what we thought he would have picked the U. He doesn't and he didn't. Never the less I look forward watching the replays of him play next year, even if it's not at the U.
These messages are about Chet not directed to him. Who cares what he thinks about in terms to our comments? You're right, he probably doesn't care at all. Then again, that's probably true about every single person we talk about on here.

I will just say this: (having skipped over some of this thread)

I don't know what Holmgren's goals are.

BUT - if one of his goals is to try and win the NCAA title, then Gonzaga simply makes more sense than MN. Holmgren is not going to turn the Gophers into an NCAA champion - especially with a first-year HC and a team full of transfers. At Gonzaga, he joins a team that played for a National Championship this year.

That is why the blue-bloods draw the vast majority of the 1-and-done players. their goal is to play 1 season of college ball, try to win a National Title, and be a high 1st-round draft pick in the NBA.

I get your viewpoint but I think in the long run having more local guys who played at MN be around the scene, the better. I don't think Chet ends up at Gonzaga if not for Suggs.

For example, lets say Suggs went to the U and left after one year. We would have years of Suggs being an NBA player and former Gopher hanging around the circuit. We'd have a group of 8th graders who idolize Suggs who would be watching him play at the U. His dad would probably a bigger fan of the U.

There is all of this and I think these types of players will definitely lead to more wins. We need to get those wheels rolling and anything we can do to help that process, I'm all for.

Lastly, as far as Rickert not helping. I think his legacy is a little underappreciated (likely due to unrealistic expectations). The year before Rickert was on campus, we were 5-11 in the Big 10. The year after he left, we were 3-13 in the Big 10. His two seasons? 9-7 and 8-8 respectively. He helped bring us out of an absolute dumpster fire.
Rickert was so damn good in high school. Under appreciated for sure.

Surprising that Chet chose an established program, with 2 National Championship appearances in the past 5 years over a program with a new head coach and a bunch of mid major transfers. To build the program, the Gophers need to start landing the upper-echelon 2-4 year college players before they can start attracting the 1 and done types.

Surprising that Chet chose an established program, with 2 National Championship appearances in the past 5 years over a program with a new head coach and a bunch of mid major transfers. To build the program, the Gophers need to start landing the upper-echelon 2-4 year college players before they can start attracting the 1 and done types.
Admittedly, it has been decades of trash.

For many, college is a stop to the professional ranks. CFB & CBB are the de facto minor leagues. So for Suggs the purpose of CBB was like a gap year: a fun year of personal growth.

An "amazing legacy" in the halls of Gonzaga? Puh-leaze. He had a good year there. It was going to be a Top 5 team with or without him. They were #1 much of the year. He was a solid part of it.

If he played for the Gophers and we made the NCAA field and won a game or two it isn't an "amazing legacy" either. Did Jason Kidd leave "an amazing legacy" at Cal? I guess I'm really not sure what the standard is.

My point is that Chet isn't make or break for getting the Gophers on track. Bleed doesn't seem to agree that one-year guys (aside from Anthony, which is why I said rarely) haven't done that much when you look back at it. Reasonable people can disagree on that.
Everyone can decide for themselves. I'm a college basketball fan, not just a Gopher fan, so I appreciate what he and his team did this year. I'm not sure if they're a top-5 team without him; I personally doubt it, but I'm not an expert. All I know is that his and his team's exploits are going to be a topic of conversation among basketball fans for many years whether we wish they would be forgotten or not. Just that one game...

If Holmgren had committed to the gophers I would have jumped over the moon. I made that statement to avoid sounding like a hypocrite for what I'm about to say. As many others have said, even with his incredible skills, he looks like he's 25lbs from being able to make it through a college season, even playing mostly on the perimeter and playing mostly a soft schedule. Fast forward eighteen months, he looks like he's at least 40lbs from being able to make it through an NBA season.

He's a really special talent. I hope that he gets bigger so that his skills can really flourish.

Top Bottom