All Things Chet Holmgren Recruitment Thread (Class of 2021, Gophers Have Offered)

I do believe Chet would come here if he felt he could take a sweet 16 team and make them champions. There is no glory in helping the "U" get to .500 or on the bubble team. The question Chet would need to ask is does MN allow him to get on the national stage to help him become a national brand. He will be number 1 in he NBA regardless of where he goes. His shoe deal will be significantly less if he does not become a national brand and name this year. He will pick a place where he can feel comfortable the team makes the NCAA with or without him.

Paige is already far better than Lindsey and known nationally on a level far beyond what she would have been here. She will have a shoe deal that sets her up. She played for a brand, a great coach and a program covered nationally. For all this legend talk, most high achievers enjoy the respect of others in their craft rather than being interrupted over dinner or the like.
Couldn't care less. She may a well change her name to Jane Doe.

Lindsay. on the other hand, I would buy dinner.

The most-coveted recruit in the Class of 2021 will announce his college plans during a live broadcast on ESPN on Monday.

Chet Holmgren, the 7-foot-1 phenom from Minnehaha Academy in Minneapolis, will make his decision at 12 p.m. Monday on ESPN. He's narrowed his list of suitors to seven colleges, one of them being the Golden Gophers.

• Georgetown
  • Gonzaga
  • Memphis
  • Michigan
  • Minnesota
  • North Carolina
  • Ohio State

Looking at the other competitors, I get the feeling that the glass slipper isn’t going to fit on our fat tootsies and we’ll end up being Miss Congeniality instead.

Couldn't care less. She may a well change her name to Jane Doe.

Lindsay. on the other hand, I would buy dinner.
I agree....We wish Bueckers the best and continued success...but....Lindsay Whalen who also was a recognizable talent who was trained and developed within the state like Bueckers, and could have played at several outstate colleges chose to showcase her ability in her state. Lindsay Whalen carried on her shoulders a average team into the final four, yes she will forever be a local legend, not simply another renown skilled player in the yearly turntable of talented players in U-Conn basketball.....

I do believe Chet would come here if he felt he could take a sweet 16 team and make them champions. There is no glory in helping the "U" get to .500 or on the bubble team. The question Chet would need to ask is does MN allow him to get on the national stage to help him become a national brand. He will be number 1 in he NBA regardless of where he goes. His shoe deal will be significantly less if he does not become a national brand and name this year. He will pick a place where he can feel comfortable the team makes the NCAA with or without him.
The trouble with the Zags, besides their level of competition, is the time they are on TV. 8 PST or 10 CST and 11 EST to late for 2/3 of the country to watch thereby reducing his nationally exposure. If I were his advisor the midwest is his best chance to get coast to coast TV coverage. But if his only concern is the tournament then it doesn't matter what time zone he plays.

The trouble with the Zags, besides their level of competition, is the time they are on TV. 8 PST or 10 CST and 11 EST to late for 2/3 of the country to watch thereby reducing his nationally exposure. If I were his advisor the midwest is his best chance to get coast to coast TV coverage. But if his only concern is the tournament then it doesn't matter what time zone he plays.
The trouble with your post is that it simply isn’t true. Zags played 32 games this year. Only 4 started at 7pm PST or later.
They also had 24 nationally televised games (CBS, Fox, ESPN, ESPN2, NCAA tourney games).
The gophers had 10.

Chet will get exposure anywhere he goes, within reason. Playing for the Gophers, he'd play in nationally televised games. Would probably get the Gophers bumped up to ESPN two or three more times as well. Gonzaga....some early season non-conference games will be nationally televised on ESPN, but their entire conference schedule would be a lot of second tier sports networks late at night. Probably not exclusively though. Gonzaga will be very very good again though....so they will get their mentions on ESPN and when the tournament rolls around....they'll get a lot of talk.

I agree....We wish Bueckers the best and continued success...but....Lindsay Whalen who also was a recognizable talent who was trained and developed within the state like Bueckers, and could have played at several outstate colleges chose to showcase her ability in her state. Lindsay Whalen carried on her shoulders a average team into the final four, yes she will forever be a local legend, not simply another renown skilled player in the yearly turntable of talented players in U-Conn basketball.....
She was the first freshman ap player of the year. On the men’s side, the only three to do that were KD, AD, and Zion. She’s more than just another talented UCONN player.

You may choose to ignore her, but the nation is watching.

Chet will get exposure anywhere he goes, within reason. Playing for the Gophers, he'd play in nationally televised games. Would probably get the Gophers bumped up to ESPN two or three more times as well. Gonzaga....some early season non-conference games will be nationally televised on ESPN, but their entire conference schedule would be a lot of second tier sports networks late at night. Probably not exclusively though. Gonzaga will be very very good again though....so they will get their mentions on ESPN and when the tournament rolls around....they'll get a lot of talk.
Copy/pasting from above.
The trouble with your post is that it simply isn’t true. Zags played 32 games this year. Only 4 started at 7pm PST or later.
They also had 24 nationally televised games (CBS, Fox, ESPN, ESPN2, NCAA tourney games).
The gophers had 10.

Agree. Lindsay is directly responsible for getting hundreds of little girls in Minnesota interested in playing basketball. She put the sport on the map locally. Without her the Gophers women's team could still be playing in the smaller sport pavilion. She brought Gopher basketball attendance from nowhere up in to the top 5-10 in the country. It has mostly held up in the top 20 in the nation since. Everyone in the state of Minnesota has seen here play. I hear Paige is a very good basketball player, I and about 80% of the people in the state have never seen her play. How many more people in Minnesota watched the Women's NCAA Tournament just because Paige was in it? She was a star that passed in the night and very few people knew it happened. She decided to play on an all-star team out east, just like the some others did the year before that and the year before that, etc...

I think to be a legend you have to be known outside of your fan base. I could ask 50 people who Bobby Jackson is and get zero correct answers.
That is too restrictive. Just try it with any sport and you will get similar results.

Agree. Lindsay is directly responsible for getting hundreds of little girls in Minnesota interested in playing basketball. She put the sport on the map locally. Without her the Gophers women's team could still be playing in the smaller sport pavilion. She brought Gopher basketball attendance from nowhere up in to the top 5-10 in the country. It has mostly held up in the top 20 in the nation since. Everyone in the state of Minnesota has seen here play. I hear Paige is a very good basketball player, I and about 80% of the people in the state have never seen her play. How many more people in Minnesota watched the Women's NCAA Tournament just because Paige was in it? She was a star that passed in the night and very few people knew it happened. She decided to play on an all-star team out east, just like the some others did the year before that and the year before that, etc...
I haven’t watched women’s college basketball since Mistie Bass, except for three UCONN games this year. Paige was the reason I tuned in. Maybe this all depends on what bubble you are in.

I know the odds are not in our favor but someone....someday....will shock us and commit when we are least expecting it. Make that day today Chet!

Copy/pasting from above.
The gophers had 10.

I counted 23, but you are correct. I mean....five of their noncon power conference games were nationally televised. And then they had two WCC tournament games and six NCAA tournament games. But I am surprised that 10 of their conference games were on ESPN/2.

Have to remember that they had a lot of canceled games too however. Of those eight games, only the game against Baylor was scheduled for national television. The other seven were regional. But the point stands. They definitely had better exposure during the middle of the season than I had thought.

It's almost like Chet to Gonzaga is too obvious at this point and you think he would have committed long ago if that was the case. I think he'll be wearing a Golden M, it will just be on top of a dark blue t-shirt instead of maroon.

I’ll be surprised if it happens on time today. The final arguments for the Derek Chauvin trial are all over the national networks.

The most-coveted recruit in the Class of 2021 will announce his college plans during a live broadcast on ESPN on Monday.

Chet Holmgren, the 7-foot-1 phenom from Minnehaha Academy in Minneapolis, will make his decision at 12 p.m. Monday on ESPN. He's narrowed his list of suitors to seven colleges, one of them being the Golden Gophers.

• Georgetown
  • Gonzaga
  • Memphis
  • Michigan
  • Minnesota
  • North Carolina
  • Ohio State

Georgetown is the head scratcher on that list

IF Chet were to commit here I think they would bump us far more than 2-3 national games. This year I think I ended up watching like 7-8 Oklahoma State games just because with Cunningham they were always on... I assume Chet would have a similar effect. In related news... I can confirm... Cunningham is good.

Lindsay played 4 years at UMN. She also had Janet McCarville to help build the program.
Chet would be here only one year. The closer comparison would be Kris Humphries. How much impact did Kris have on the basketball community in Minnesota? I would argue that he's best known as the former husband of Kim Kardashian.

That is because you are NOT a MN fan.
Not true . Just not from here and recognize the national brand of other more successful programs. Iam not without my biased opinions as I do think with Covid that Minnesota would be a great choice for Chet. I also think it would have been great for Paige but understand her choice of UCONN. I recognize the greatness of other programs.

Being respected and being legendary are not mutually exclusive. Lindsay is a good example of that.
Agree. But her going to UCONN made her more of a national legend, whatever legend means to each person. I just do not see the value others do in in being a legend in Minnesota compared to other places.

Top Bottom