All Things Boys MSHSL State Tournament

DeLaSalle and SSP in a dogfight. Dodd played great, as did Whitlock. DeLaSalle flopping like 5 Brad Davison's were playing. Refs took the bait. Full house, over 1500 in the gym. Whitlock hits the game winner with 2 seconds left and the Islanders win 69-67. It's a shame these two teams were in the same sectional.
I live in Colorado where the teams all get seeded, those two would have met in a final four here. I can't image doing regions as there are two main counties of basketball riches. The metro teams of Denver and Aurora. Then the money schools in the south suburbs. Usually 8-9 of the top 10 teams are from these two areas.

I live in Colorado where the teams all get seeded, those two would have met in a final four here. I can't image doing regions as there are two main counties of basketball riches. The metro teams of Denver and Aurora. Then the money schools in the south suburbs. Usually 8-9 of the top 10 teams are from these two areas.
I have an old friend who just retired. His grandson, Cade Palmer, won with his team in the CO state tournament last year. I think it was big school, but I am not sure. I don't know where his grandson went to play college ball. I thought he was considering Denver University, but I don't think I saw him on the roster.

Great one tonight in Rochester. Caledonia beats PEM in 3 OT’s. Didn’t lead until the third OT. down 4 with 15 sec left in regulation when Eli King tipped an inbounds pass, grabbed it and scored while getting fouled to cut it to 1. Send PEM player to the line with 12 to go and he makes 1 of 2. Eli gets inbound and goes coast to coast for a tying lay up. PEM has a half court shot that rims out first two OT’s both teams had chances to take lead in last minute but couldn’t make shots. Caledonia finally gets a lead in 3rd OT and pulls away

Cretin beats East Ridge by 1.

Andover and Moorhead are the other 4A winners tonight.

Wayzata
Park Center
Eastview
Cretin
Andover
Moorhead

Those 6 have punched their tickets to state in 4A. 2 more to go in 4A tomorrow between Owatonna/Farmington and Shakopee/Eden Prairie.
Andover

Wins state in hockey and going to state in basketball in the largest class.

Had to look it up on a map.

Why did so many people move there 20-25 years ago and start families? Did they give away houses for free??

Minnesota high school state playoffs are wrong and have been for a long time.

Andover is in section 7. Long has been the weakest of the sections and I don’t believe their representative at state has won a game in the last 10-15 years. The 3 seed in section 7 this year was Centennial, which was 7-19 in the regular season

Andover is in section 7. Long has been the weakest of the sections and I don’t believe their representative at state has won a game in the last 10-15 years. The 3 seed in section 7 this year was Centennial, which was 7-19 in the regular season
Fair enough, though none of Andover's wins appeared to be competitive, so I guess we'll see.

I clicked on the section link from here: https://www.mnbasketballhub.com/postseason

Some of those quarter and semi-final game scores in those links for the 4A section brackets seem like they have to be typos ...

Minnesota high school state playoffs are wrong and have been for a long time.
Please elaborate.
Since the 4-class split, wins by teams out of Section 7AAAA have been few and far between. The only ones I know for sure have been Rick Rickert's Duluth East teams from the early 2000s. There may be a few others when Osseo was in Section 7. I'll have to look in the program next week.

Please elaborate.

Since the 4-class split, wins by teams out of Section 7AAAA have been few and far between. The only ones I know for sure have been Rick Rickert's Duluth East teams from the early 2000s. There may be a few others when Osseo was in Section 7. I'll have to look in the program next week.
When I was a Junior at Blaine, they made the tournament, but lost in the quarterfinals to the eventual state champions Chaska. Patrick O'Bryant, who played two years at Bradley then was a lottery pick for the Celtics, got in early foul trouble against Tollackson and Blaine just didn't have the guard quality that Chaska did either.

Fun fact: O'Bryant, who is 7 feet tall, drove a Geo Metro. Don't know how, but he made it work lol.

Morris/Chokio-Alberta won sect 3AA over a solid Redwood Valley team, so Jackson Loge will be in the State Tournament.

two more section finals tonight in Mankato:

Sect 2A: Mt Lake Area-Comfrey vs Sleepy Eye-St. Mary's.

Sect 2AA: Maple River vs Glencoe-Silver Lake. Maple River has a 6'9" Center - Ethan Fischer - who is also a pretty good FB player.

Cretin beats East Ridge by 1.

Andover and Moorhead are the other 4A winners tonight.

Wayzata
Park Center
Eastview
Cretin
Andover
Moorhead

Those 6 have punched their tickets to state in 4A. 2 more to go in 4A tomorrow between Owatonna/Farmington and Shakopee/Eden Prairie.
Owatonna beat Farmington 69-61

A:
(1) Hayfield vs Russell-Tyler-Ruthton

(4) Nevis vs (5) Cherry

(2) Sleepy Eye-St. Mary’s vs Belgrade-Brooten-Elrosa

(3) New Life Academy vs Sacred Heart

AA:
(1) Minneapolis North vs Glencoe-Silver Lake

(4) Minnehaha Academy vs (5) Morris Area

(2) Caledonia vs Perham

(3) Annandale vs Pequot Lakes

AAA:

(1) Totino-Grace vs Hermantown

(4) Mankato East vs (5) Mound-Westonka

(2) Princeton vs Austin

(3) DeLaSalle vs St. Cloud Tech

AAAA:

(1) Park Center vs Andover

(4) Eastview vs (5) Eden Prairie

(2) Owatonna vs Cretin-Derham Hall

(3) Wayzata vs Moorhead

Last edited:

Andover

Wins state in hockey and going to state in basketball in the largest class.

Had to look it up on a map.

Why did so many people move there 20-25 years ago and start families? Did they give away houses for free??
This really demonstrates how dumb 6a football is as a concept.

Andover good enough to compete and win in big school hockey and hoops…meanwhile they’re 34-15 over the last 5 years of playing exclusively 5a football opponents while Roseville can’t win in anything but gets to go 12-42 against exclusively 6a opponents in the same time frame

The justification is that Roseville has size advantage to compete in 6a while Andover wouldn’t be able to at their small size

Some good section championship games on slate tonight.

Park Center vs. Osseo
Park of Cottage Grove vs. Eastview
Totino vs. Columbia Heights
Cretin vs. East Ridge
DeLaSalle vs. South St. Paul
I heard that Mounds View gave Park Center all they wanted in the semi finals

This really demonstrates how dumb 6a football is as a concept.

Andover good enough to compete and win in big school hockey and hoops…meanwhile they’re 34-15 over the last 5 years of playing exclusively 5a football opponents while Roseville can’t win in anything but gets to go 12-42 against exclusively 6a opponents in the same time frame

The justification is that Roseville has size advantage to compete in 6a while Andover wouldn’t be able to at their small size
6A football has been a godsend. Never heard a complaint until this post.

Park Center beat em by 14. In fact, 26/28 of PC's wins have been by double digits.
Was at the MV @ PC game. It was tied early in the 2nd half, and PC led by 4-8 most of the rest of the game. Final result was 14 points, but the game was not decided until the final couple of minutes. PC did not shoot the ball very well.

6A football has been a godsend. Never heard a complaint until this post.
godsend to who?
15-20 of the 32 largest programs in the state are dying on the vine because of it. 6a football is bad for high school football in MN even though it is good for chaska and st Thomas

godsend to who?
15-20 of the 32 largest programs in the state are dying on the vine because of it. 6a football is bad for high school football in MN even though it is good for chaska and st Thomas
You could be exactly right, but I can't see them dumping those 32 back into 5A.

Maybe the true "upper echelon" 16 should be 7A.

godsend to who?
So you would rather it harm 32 more teams by having it be a 64 team class? It sucks for 15-20 teams sure, but it opened doors for the 32 who now play 5A. It made the balancing and enrollment matches a lot closer. I'm sure it does suck if you are a struggling 6A team, but it was worse before.

Austin will not be a favorite in AAA, but long-time coach Kris Fadness has announced that this will be his last year as Head Coach, so I would certainly like to see Austin make a run in the tournament.

(disclaimer - highly biased here. Kris' dad was a teacher and coach in my home town. one of his sisters was in my graduating class, and I have known Kris since he was a little kid running around the gym while his dad was coaching the HS boys team. Chip Scoggins in the Strib has written some excellent articles about Kris' role in the Austin basketball program. Kris also won a State Title at Caledonia earlier in his coaching career.)

So you would rather it harm 32 more teams by having it be a 64 team class? It sucks for 15-20 teams sure, but it opened doors for the 32 who now play 5A. It made the balancing and enrollment matches a lot closer. I'm sure it does suck if you are a struggling 6A team, but it was worse before.
No. This has nothing to do with playoffs. It has to do with regular season.
Look up what the MSHSL has done with coon rapids.

It is straight up corruption.

Top Bottom