All things bowl game cancelations and movements thread

Some guy

Reaction score
New Mexico to be played in Frisco Texas but keep the name New Mexico Bowl

Apparently New Mexico is paying quite a bit of tourism money for this. Still doesn't make sense though.

It just made me laugh.
Hopefully the Texas bowl moves to Louisiana

The college basketball Maui Invitational is being played in North Carolina. The Battle For Atlantis is being played in Sioux Falls, though they did change the name of that one.

If the virus numbers remain at their current levels - or if there is a post-Thanksgiving spike as some medical folks expect, I think the bowl game lineup is going to wind up being greatly reduced.

If I had to guess, I would say that they'll play all the BCS playoff games, and the traditional New Year's day games. But, the lesser bowl games are going to be a real hard sell.

If the virus numbers remain at their current levels - or if there is a post-Thanksgiving spike as some medical folks expect, I think the bowl game lineup is going to wind up being greatly reduced.

If I had to guess, I would say that they'll play all the BCS playoff games, and the traditional New Year's day games. But, the lesser bowl games are going to be a real hard sell.
I agree with you

Medical spike is increasing. Hundred and one deaths today and counting. Yes expect fewer bowl games yet.

Pinstripe Bowl (B1G v ACC) canceled due to Covid concerns.

The lizard side of my brain wants Pfizer to sponsor the "Vaccine Bowl."
I’ve always wanted a bowl in Madison called the Kohler Toilet Bowl

the game should have two 6-6 teams from power 5 conferences and should be the last bowl to fill out its participants (so it gets dibs on 5-7 bowl teams)

I'm guessing the LA Bowl will be cancelled because that's the only one in California other than the Rose Bowl left. The Guaranteed Rate Bowl, Arizona Bowl, Military Bowl, and Duke's Mayo Bowl are probably the next most likely if cases keep increasing but all three states have allowed fans at college and/or NFL games this year. Nothing else looks too likely to be canceled. It seems unlikely that other bowls will have state laws/orders stopping fans considering the states they are in. The biggest thing other than a team being too sick that could stop them would be if they decide it isn't profitable to have a limited number of fans but it seems like they would have cancelled already if that was the case.

I'm guessing they'll have better protocols than what they're doing in the regular season to prevent outbreaks among the teams before bowls. Maybe something like what the NFL is trying to do with the Steelers game this week where everyone stays isolated for a few days to give time for the virus to progress to the point they'd test positive if they have it, then test everyone, then keep everyone who tested negative in a bubble until the game.

Sun bowl canceled
Holiday bowl canceled
Fenway bowl canceled
Bahamas bowl canceled
Hawaii bowl canceled
Red box bowl canceled
Quick lane bowl canceled
Celebration bowl (st Petersburg I think) canceled

Celebration Bowl is the black colleges championship in Atlanta. Neither conference is playing this fall, but maybe that means they'll participate in the FCS playoffs in the spring?

Celebration Bowl is the black colleges championship in Atlanta. Neither conference is playing this fall, but maybe that means they'll participate in the FCS playoffs in the spring?
You’re correct.

I was thinking of something else that may actually be called the St. Petersburg bowl

Not going to lie, I will miss the sun bowl. Great time slot on New Years Eve.

Top Bottom