All Things Ben Johnson Tweets

What event was this?

I believe this is the big "Freshmen Week" event, where they usually do the big block M with all the freshmen but probably didn't because of COVID.

Glad they still had an in-person event.

Go Gophers!!

Ben Johnson

@CoachBenJohnson

·
Sep 7

No better way to start off day 1 then attacking the morning mile!…we officially set two, 1 Mile time records…
@sean_sutherlin
crushed it for the guards with a 5:14 mile and
@Treyton42
killed it for the bigs coming in with a crazy 5:16 time! I loved their mindset! Guys competed

There are studies and basketball coaches who would get quite vehemently upset if they knew any of their guys were doing distance running. Let alone be the coach encouraging it. Basketball is short bursts, stop, start, sprint. Turn and run, back peddle etc. Completely different than distance running. Distance running makes you slower, less quick. Distance running promotes coasting, nice even pace etc Wrong mindset. Lots of negatives to basketball. Too lazy to look it up. Lots of clinics and coaches discuss this topic or ha used to.

Ben Johnson
@CoachBenJohnson
·
Sep 7

No better way to start off day 1 then attacking the morning mile!…we officially set two, 1 Mile time records…
@sean_sutherlin
@Treyton42
killed it for the bigs coming in with a crazy 5:16 time! I loved their mindset! Guys competed

There are studies and basketball coaches who would get quite vehemently upset if they knew any of their guys were doing distance running. Let alone be the coach encouraging it. Basketball is short bursts, stop, start, sprint. Turn and run, back peddle etc. Completely different than distance running. Distance running makes you slower, less quick. Distance running promotes coasting, nice even pace etc Wrong mindset. Lots of negatives to basketball. Too lazy to look it up. Lots of clinics and coaches discuss this topic or ha used to.
I assume he's just using it as some light summer conditioning to get the guys in shape. Highly doubt there's a serious emphasis on long-distance running during the season. For all we know they do this once a week and then do sprints and shuttles every day.

As long as it's just being used as pre-season conditioning to make sure the guys have good cardiovascular endurance I don't have a problem with it.

Ben Johnson
@CoachBenJohnson
·
Sep 7

@sean_sutherlin
@Treyton42

A mile isn't exactly distance running, nor is running three miles a day. The problem with being a distance runner and a sport like basketball is that it tightens the thigh muscles and the back, you loose a little flexibility which can impact quickness but certainly not speed. Conditioning is important and running can be part of that if not over done but should be combined with stretching. Some of those message guns available today really loosen up the muscles and can make a difference. Sure the old gut buster needs to be used for conditioning but not exclusively.

Ben Johnson
@CoachBenJohnson
·
Sep 7

@sean_sutherlin
@Treyton42

A mile is distance running?

Top Bottom