All Things 2024 Minnesota Twins In-Season Thread

For the Twins to finish 83-79 they will have to pick up the pace and go 76-66. How likely does that seem in their current state?

Sure there are ebbs and flows and at this juncture as well as this being a small sample size. Totally justifiable in your prerogative to discount it. I'm not conceding anything as far as the Twins hopes in winning the Central.

However, the math is the math.

My initial post (#1030) was simply pointing out that part of the equation that made the Twins solid favorites to repeat winning the Division was that the rest of the field finished sub-.500 in 2023. That seems less likely. For now. Things can change and as Twins fans that's what we have to hope for, even if it is nothing more than blind faith.
The Twins suck. I knew that going into the season with the way they handled the offseason. This has 2011 vibes.

My point was I've seen these so many of these "If they do this, they need to do this" things and so many make it seem impossible. Yet they rarely work out that way. It's April.

In 2006, the Twins were 25-33, they needed to go 71-33 to win 96 games and win the division. That was completely unlikely, yet it happened.

How many times could we have played this game early in 1991? Things went a different way like they do for teams every year. How about the Nationals a couple years ago?

My point wasn't about the Twins or any one team in particular. I just don't like the exercise of "If...then" especially in April. But that's just my opinion.

The Twins suck. I knew that going into the season with the way they handled the offseason. This has 2011 vibes.

My point was I've seen these so many of these "If they do this, they need to do this" things and so many make it seem impossible. Yet they rarely work out that way. It's April.

In 2006, the Twins were 25-33, they needed to go 71-33 to win 96 games and win the division. That was completely unlikely, yet it happened.

How many times could we have played this game early in 1991? Things went a different way like they do for teams every year. How about the Nationals a couple years ago?

My point wasn't about the Twins or any one team in particular. I just don't like the exercise of "If...then" especially in April. But that's just my opinion.
Nowhere did I say it was impossible for the Twins to catch Cleveland and it was prefaced as such.

Nowhere did I say it was impossible for the Twins to catch Cleveland and it was prefaced as such.
I know. That's why I said this:

"My point wasn't about the Twins or any one team in particular. I just don't like the exercise of "If...then" especially in April. But that's just my opinion."

a commentary on Twins fandom from a MN native, Mr Zimmerman.

I was born here and I'll die here against my will
I know it looks like I'm movin' but I'm standin' still
Every nerve in my body is so naked and numb
I can't even remember what it was, I came here to get away from
… Don't even hear the murmur of a prayer
It's not dark yet, but it's gettin' there

NYC I owe you another McDonald’s promotion after the Mighty Max Keplers two run double. DoorDash it from Minnesota to New York?

You can buy me a beer if our paths ever cross and please excuse my smart ass post - did it before I saw this one from you - deleted now.

It was a balmy 89° in Bloomington for the Twins home opener at Met Stadium on this date in 1980.

Hosken Powell, Ron Jackson, and Roy Smalley homered as Geoff Zahn earned a complete-game 8-1 win over the Blue Jays.

I'm guessing SWR will be back up for the next start.
Right now, he's scheduled to pitch on Thursday for St. Paul. Could easily slot him in for the getaway day start vs. the Sux, then demote him and take Henriquez (or whoever) with them on the road trip to Anaheim.

Ober’s regular turn is Thursday; per Gleeman, SWR will likely get a start out in Caly in Varland’s spot. Don’t think they’ll option him back to St.Paul afterwards, as it’s his spot in the rotation for now and they’ll want to get him acclimated to a routine with the big club.

Last edited:

It was a balmy 89° in Bloomington for the Twins home opener at Met Stadium on this date in 1980.

Hosken Powell, Ron Jackson, and Roy Smalley homered as Geoff Zahn earned a complete-game 8-1 win over the Blue Jays.
Something is off, Baseball Reference has the Twins 1980 Home Opener being against California, and 1 day earlier (4/22/80).

Something is off, Baseball Reference has the Twins 1980 Home Opener being against California, and 1 day earlier (4/22/80).

Yes it was California. Everything else is correct. The next day the Angels won 17-0

had to look - the Twins opened the 1980 season with 12 road games. again - 12 road games to open the season.

so the rest of the season, they played 81 home games and 69 road games.

I wonder if that is some kind of record.

imagine being one of the players and opening the season with 12 straight on the road. how much clothing would you have to pack - or just say bleep it and keep wearing the same stuff for two weeks.......

🤮

The Mighty Whities are on a torrid pace of 22-140 for this season -now watch the Twins lose the next three🥳🤣

had to look - the Twins opened the 1980 season with 12 road games. again - 12 road games to open the season.

so the rest of the season, they played 81 home games and 69 road games.

I wonder if that is some kind of record.

imagine being one of the players and opening the season with 12 straight on the road. how much clothing would you have to pack - or just say bleep it and keep wearing the same stuff for two weeks.......
Plus they likely flew straight to the West Coast from Orlando after the Grapefruit League ended without stopping in the Twin Cities.

It's rather odd that opening road trip included 5 game series against the Mariners in the Kingdome. There was even a Friday double header. Later after the All Star Break they went back to Seattle to play 2 games there, but both teams then flew to Bloomington to continue the Series at the Met.

I wonder if there was a schedule conflict with the Kicks or a concert.

Over / under on Lopez Tommy John Surgery announcement?

The good news for the twins is no one will care what they do with the wolves playoff run and the Vikings drafting a QB. They might as well be playing in Greenbush for the local sports fans and media people.

Top Bottom