All Things 2024 Minnesota Twins In-Season Thread

Oh, I get it. I tend to overreact to these things. What I will say is that few of these guys haven't hit at all in Ft. Myers either (Margot, Wallner and Farmer, I'm looking at you). It's becoming more than a week or 10 day thing.

Wallner was retooling his swing - spring training is where you work on improving your game - context

Additionally, pitching is historically ahead of hitting in the beginning of the season.

Lastly on a roster with ~12 position players, some will always be scuffling at some point. Baseball is a marathon, not a sprint, look at Kepler last year.

did some more reading about the A's situation.

apparently the A's were receiving something in the vicinity of $67-Million a year in local TV rights. they are expected to retain most of that while playing in Sacramento.

So one of the worst teams in baseball will make more TV money than the Twins while playing in a minor-league park.

nobody knows exactly what the Twins are getting this year for local TV, but it's been estimated to be in the $40 to $45-million range.

How do they have a TV deal that much higher than the Twins?

Wow AK keeps it going with a triple to right center in the first.

Somewhere Cristian Guzman is very afraid.

Strand AK at third with only one out 🤮

Julian took two called third strikes on 3-2 pitches - can’t be that finicky with two strikes, put the ball in play please, especially with runners on base.

As I’m bitching, he strokes an opposite field 💣 to left.

Last edited:

Bay Area is a bigger market.

Initially I was looking at just the San Francisco/Oakland metro area and it's not that much bigger than MSP. 13th vs 16th, plus they have two teams. But when you throw in San Jose and Sacramento, it is more than double MSP so that makes sense.

Frustrating to watch. Double digit strikeouts. Bad situational hitting. I know it's early, but, I swear, if you pitched Kepler nothing but down and in sliders and curveballs, he'd never get a hit.

0-12 with risp. This is not gonna get it done. We are a good team. but we not even close to a World Series team.

0-12 with risp. This is not gonna get it done. We are a good team. but we not even close to a World Series team.

IIRC, we had one of the ten worst offenses in first half last season and a top ten in the second half.

Of course 6 games is a tiny sample size, but looking at Twins stats one observes hitters can be divided into 3 groups

Excellent: Kiriloff and Correa
OK: Buxton
Bad: Everyone else

Rest of the minor league teams get going tomorrow. Four highest rated Twins prospects are:
Brooks Lee SS
23 yrs old
AAA
Emmanuel Rodriguez OF
21 yrs old
AA
Gabriel Gonzalez OF
20 yrs old
A+
Walker Jenkins OF
19 yrs old
A
Really looking forward to following the progress of these prospects through their seasons. All are rated in the top 100 bb prospects by the various scouting services. Of course Gonzalez came to us via the Polanco trade.

I've had all I can take of Julien striking out looking with runners in scoring position. How can they just be OK with that? Also, Buxton cannot hit 3rd in any line-up. He just strikes out way too much. And Kepler is who he always is. Having them 3rd and 4th kills your line-up. They both need to move down.

Though it’s early in the year, the Twins are 9-for-61 (.148) with runners in scoring position this season -- and, considering some of their early season struggles in that regard last year, too, they perhaps see a better example of what they could be doing in the dugout across the diamond.

I've had all I can take of Julien striking out looking with runners in scoring position. How can they just be OK with that? Also, Buxton cannot hit 3rd in any line-up. He just strikes out way too much. And Kepler is who he always is. Having them 3rd and 4th kills your line-up. They both need to move down.
Totally agree. Having Kepler bat cleanup is asinine

The Mets went 13 innings without a hit (in the same day; apparently that hasn’t happened in 50 years), until getting off the snide - it can always be worse my grasshoppers.

Last edited:

On this date in 2004, Austin, Minnesota native Michael Wuertz struck out the first two batters he faced in his major league debut, pitching a 1-2-3 sixth in a 7-4 Opening Day win in Cincinnati.

Players across baseball are dropping like flies. Robert, Bieber, Perez, Strider, Story are all guys that have gotten hurt just in the past week.

Bieber has likely thrown his last pitch for the Guardians. Tommy John surgery.

Huge loss for them. On the other hand, Indians a pitching factory. Will probly bring up someone from minors who is very good.

Good to see the official scorer change Ak’s first AB to a triple instead of an E3; three in three days, I’ve never seen that before.

Top Bottom