All Things 2024 Minnesota Twins In-Season Thread

I'd probably prefer Duvall over Taylor. A little bit better hitter and can play all 3 OF spots. Not as good defensively but he's still pretty good. Won a GG in 2021.

I still think they're trying to trade for a SP too. Hoping anyways.
I wonder how much they can save by waiting till till right before hitters report?

Pretty Amazing how many quality FAs are still unsigned at this juncture.

This includes the following -

Snell
Montgomery
Bellinger
Chapman
JD Martinez
Merrifiield
Clevinger
Belt

I'd probably prefer Duvall over Taylor. A little bit better hitter and can play all 3 OF spots. Not as good defensively but he's still pretty good. Won a GG in 2021.

I still think they're trying to trade for a SP too. Hoping anyways.
I'm assuming he would cost more than they're willing to pay, but otherwise I agree. Frankly they could stand to sign Clevinger and still trade for a starter. I'd rather not depend on "Disco" at all. You can always stash him in the bullpen or leave him in extended Spring Training for rehab for a month. You can probably do the same with Paddock if needed.

I'm assuming he would cost more than they're willing to pay, but otherwise I agree. Frankly they could stand to sign Clevinger and still trade for a starter. I'd rather not depend on "Disco" at all. You can always stash him in the bullpen or leave him in extended Spring Training for rehab for a month. You can probably do the same with Paddock if needed.
Duval made 7 last year and from what I saw online, he’s likely available for ~5 this year.

Last edited:

So I saw this today - (disclaimer - I have not fact-checked this myself- the original post is from Jayson Stark, baseball writer for The Athletic)

The Twins will play 73 games against teams that had winning records last season. that is the lowest total in MLB.

and the wild one - Every other team in MLB will play a majority of its games against teams that had a winning record last season. The Twins are the only team in MLB that will play a majority of its games against teams that had losing records last season.

but when you stop to think about it, it makes sense.

last season:
AL East - 4 teams with winning records -- 1 team with a losing record
AL Central -- 1 team with a winning record - 4 teams with losing records
AL West - 3 teams with winning records - 2 teams with losing records

NL East - 3 teams with winning records - 2 teams with losing records
NL Central - 3 teams with winning records - 2 teams with losing records
NL West - 3 teams with winning records - 2 teams with losing records

Totals
AL: 8 teams with winning records - 7 teams with losing records
NL: 9 teams with winning records - 6 teams with losing records

Overall: 17 teams with winning records - 13 teams with losing records

of 13 teams with losing records, 4 teams (31%) were in the Twins division.

reminder - with the new "balanced" schedule format - the Twins play
52 games vs the AL Central (13 vs 4 teams - all with losing records...)
64 games vs other 10 AL Teams (6 games vs 6 teams/7 games vs 4 teams)
46 games vs NL teams (4 games vs Brewers, 3 games vs other 14 teams)

So I saw this today - (disclaimer - I have not fact-checked this myself- the original post is from Jayson Stark, baseball writer for The Athletic)

The Twins will play 73 games against teams that had winning records last season. that is the lowest total in MLB.

and the wild one - Every other team in MLB will play a majority of its games against teams that had a winning record last season. The Twins are the only team in MLB that will play a majority of its games against teams that had losing records last season.

but when you stop to think about it, it makes sense.

last season:
AL East - 4 teams with winning records -- 1 team with a losing record
AL Central -- 1 team with a winning record - 4 teams with losing records
AL West - 3 teams with winning records - 2 teams with losing records

NL East - 3 teams with winning records - 2 teams with losing records
NL Central - 3 teams with winning records - 2 teams with losing records
NL West - 3 teams with winning records - 2 teams with losing records

Totals
AL: 8 teams with winning records - 7 teams with losing records
NL: 9 teams with winning records - 6 teams with losing records

Overall: 17 teams with winning records - 13 teams with losing records

of 13 teams with losing records, 4 teams (31%) were in the Twins division.

reminder - with the new "balanced" schedule format - the Twins play
52 games vs the AL Central (13 vs 4 teams - all with losing records...)
64 games vs other 10 AL Teams (6 games vs 6 teams/7 games vs 4 teams)
46 games vs NL teams (4 games vs Brewers, 3 games vs other 14 teams)
Here's a link to the original article by Stark about the Schedule Changes implemented last year, playing each team for 1 series and fewer Division games. Really good stuff like this is why I haven't regretted forgetting to cancel my used to be Free Subscription to the Athletic.

Indeed the Twins have the weakest 2024 Schedule based on 2023 Records. Tigers are #2 and Guards #3.

Other interesting stuff was that it helped overall attendance which increased 9% last season. Rule changes also played a part.

It had a big impact on the D-Backs even making the post-season as they got to play the Dodgers & Padres less and feasted on the AL Central who they wouldn't have faced at all. They parlayed it into winning the NL Pennant.

Also of note, the Padres will travel the most miles in 2024, while the Pirates the least.

Varland?

I would think the thought process is the same as it was for Ober last year; he’s in St. Paul to and is next man if Tony D. Is ineffective and/or someone gets injured.

I’d much rather get Duval as the 4th OF and then trade for another starter if need be; Festa can also come up and make spot starts if need be.

Last edited:

Varland?

I would think the thought process is the same as it was for Ober last year; he’s in St. Paul to and is next man if Tony D. Is ineffective and/or someone gets injured.

I’d much rather get Duval as the 4th OF and then trade for another starter if need be; Festa cam also come up and make spot starts if need be.
Would have preferred him in the bullpen but they're a bit full. He can start at AAA. They will need about 8 starters so he'll be up soon enough.

Reusse has a new column out on Varland. Varland makes no bones that he wants to be a starter. also says he's been working on a new breaking ball - a variation of 'the sweeper' than has more of a vertical break.

as noted, the question is whether he begins the season with the Twins or if he is an insurance policy in Triple A. I think that arm is too good to waste in Rochester. if Varland isn't going to be a starter, then he should be in the Twins bullpen.

OR - go with a 6-man rotation. protect Paddack, DeSclafani and Ober by keeping their innings down. could always piggy-back a start with two guys each going 3 innings.

as it is, my take on the rotation: when Pablo starts, they're hoping for 7 innings. when Ryan starts, hoping for 6 innings. Ober, Paddack and DeSclaf - 5 and fly.

(my nickname idea for DeSclafani - "Decaf")

Reusse has a new column out on Varland. Varland makes no bones that he wants to be a starter. also says he's been working on a new breaking ball - a variation of 'the sweeper' than has more of a vertical break.

as noted, the question is whether he begins the season with the Twins or if he is an insurance policy in Triple A. I think that arm is too good to waste in Rochester. if Varland isn't going to be a starter, then he should be in the Twins bullpen.

OR - go with a 6-man rotation. protect Paddack, DeSclafani and Ober by keeping their innings down. could always piggy-back a start with two guys each going 3 innings.

as it is, my take on the rotation: when Pablo starts, they're hoping for 7 innings. when Ryan starts, hoping for 6 innings. Ober, Paddack and DeSclaf - 5 and fly.

(my nickname idea for DeSclafani - "Decaf")
FWIW, I doubt they start him as a reliever, because his arm won’t be up for starters’ workload. Starters and relievers have different workouts.

Relievers are much easier to come by than starters; easier to covert, see Jax.

Read an article about Twins’ 40 man roster by Keith Law in The Athletic, he is their minor league guru, and he said he’d like to see Canterino converted to a reliever: as he’s only thrown 85 minor league innings since 2019, Rice University starting pitchers are infamous for having arm issues, he wouldn’t have to build up to a starter’s workload and could just pitch to the max in each outing as a reliever, his stuff is dynamic enough that he could be a late inning weapon. He’s also 26 (my note); i can see this happening, as his prospect clock is bonging at this point and Festa is considered a legit rotation option.

Last edited:

Would have preferred him in the bullpen but they're a bit full. He can start at AAA. They will need about 8 starters so he'll be up soon enough.
FWIW, they see him as a legit rotation guy and those are harder to develop than relievers, so I think he gets a good shot at it and his stats as a rookie starter were pretty solid.

He was also the Twins’ minor league pitcher of the year, two consecutive years as a starter and has already shown he can be a reliever, if need be.

FWIW, they see him as a legit rotation guy and those are harder to develop than relievers, so I think he gets a good shot at it and his stats as a rookie starter were pretty solid.

He was also the Twins’ minor league pitcher of the year, two consecutive years as a starter and has already shown he can be a reliever, if need be.
I don't mind him as a starter, I just see him as a potentially high end reliever vs an OK starter. A bit of a RH Glen Perkins. But it makes sense for him to start for now.

Revamped bullpen may be key to Twins' success in 2024​

From the article -

According to FanGraphs, the Twins project to have the best bullpen in the American League, and the group is tied with the Braves for second best in MLB behind only the Phillies.

FORT MYERS, Fla. -- The offseason went by mostly quietly for the Twins, who, until their recent flurry of moves, didn’t make much of a splash and instead found ways to add on the margins.
Additions on one of the margins certainly added up. And as Twins camp formally opened with their first workout for pitchers and catchers on Wednesday, the far corner of the Hammond Stadium clubhouse was full of new relievers getting settled in -- and there’s hope that this unusually fortified group could be a strong part of the Twins’ success this season.
“Just how all these guys fit together, we’re going to find out, but that’s our job during Spring Training,” manager Rocco Baldelli said. “Work their way into roles, see how everyone fits and have a plan when we get to Opening Day that we think functions well. As far as weaponry, we have that, I think, and it’ll be a fun group.”

Among the newcomers to the bullpen are right-handers Justin Topa (trade with Seattle), Jay Jackson (free agent), Josh Staumont (free agent) and left-hander Steven Okert (trade with Miami) -- and that’s not to mention the hope of a full season from Brock Stewart.

Projections are kind to this group, anchored at the back end by the explosive stuff of Jhoan Duran, alongside Stewart, Griffin Jax and Caleb Thielbar. According to FanGraphs, the Twins project to have the best bullpen in the American League, and the group is tied with the Braves for second best in MLB behind only the Phillies. But the Twins are still being measured with their optimism, because it just takes one or two injuries to change things.

I do take the bullpen projections with somewhat of a grain of salt, because there's so much variance in it,” president of baseball operations Derek Falvey said. “You've got to stay healthy, you've got to have good things happen. I feel like we've given ourselves a group as a whole that we think can go pitch in some really good, meaningful situations.”

from an article in the Strib - this bit of news caught me by surprise - 1st I've heard of it:

Righthanded reliever Josh Winder will not be ready for the start of spring training games after he was diagnosed with a right scapula stress fracture last October. Winder is playing catch up to 90 feet, but he was told to rest his arm for most of the offseason.

"Just some buildup from the whole season," said Winder, who threw 70 innings last season between the Twins and the minors. "Threw a bunch last year and it just started barking toward the end of the year."

the Winder situation may be one reason why the Twins are stocking up on relievers.

the article also noted that Jovani Moran will likely miss the entire season after Tommy John surgery last November.

and.......fill in your own joke......Jose Miranda may be limited defensively at the start of camp.......as he recovers from an off-season shoulder procedure.

Here's a link to the original article by Stark about the Schedule Changes implemented last year, playing each team for 1 series and fewer Division games. Really good stuff like this is why I haven't regretted forgetting to cancel my used to be Free Subscription to the Athletic.

Indeed the Twins have the weakest 2024 Schedule based on 2023 Records. Tigers are #2 and Guards #3.

Other interesting stuff was that it helped overall attendance which increased 9% last season. Rule changes also played a part.

It had a big impact on the D-Backs even making the post-season as they got to play the Dodgers & Padres less and feasted on the AL Central who they wouldn't have faced at all. They parlayed it into winning the NL Pennant.

Also of note, the Padres will travel the most miles in 2024, while the Pirates the least.

It was the bottom 4 teams in the AL Central that they feasted on, going 9-3. The Twins swept them.

Twins are developing a lot of interesting young talent in the minors - and now this:

It appears the Twins have signed - or are in the process of signing - one of the top young players in Cuba. saw this on Twitter and found more info online:

According to reports, the Minnesota Twins have come to terms with top Cuban prospect Yandro Hernandez. He's an 18-year-old outfielder.

Per Cuban Baseball Insider Francys Romero:

Cuban OF and switch hitter Yandro Hernández (18) is in agreement with the Minnesota Twins, per sources.

Estimated bonus: $800,000. The deal will be official when he receives free agency in a few days.

Back in January, Romero included more information on Hernandez and his skillset.

Cuban National U-18 team member OF Yandro Hernández (18) left the country in recent hours, per sources.

He will look to sign with an MLB team in the Dominican Republic.

Hernández was the batting average leader (.463) and hits (37) in the last Cuban U-18 National tournament.

Great athlete, switch hitter, projects power and batting average. I ranked Hernández among the best 25 U-18 talents in Cuba in 2022.

Son of former Cuba team member, Stayler Hernández.

Twins are developing a lot of interesting young talent in the minors - and now this:

It appears the Twins have signed - or are in the process of signing - one of the top young players in Cuba. saw this on Twitter and found more info online:

According to reports, the Minnesota Twins have come to terms with top Cuban prospect Yandro Hernandez. He's an 18-year-old outfielder.

Per Cuban Baseball Insider Francys Romero:

Cuban OF and switch hitter Yandro Hernández (18) is in agreement with the Minnesota Twins, per sources.

Estimated bonus: $800,000. The deal will be official when he receives free agency in a few days.

Back in January, Romero included more information on Hernandez and his skillset.

Cuban National U-18 team member OF Yandro Hernández (18) left the country in recent hours, per sources.

He will look to sign with an MLB team in the Dominican Republic.

Hernández was the batting average leader (.463) and hits (37) in the last Cuban U-18 National tournament.

Great athlete, switch hitter, projects power and batting average. I ranked Hernández among the best 25 U-18 talents in Cuba in 2022.

Son of former Cuba team member, Stayler Hernández.
Love it - those guys play ball year round and are more advanced than many US born players their age.

Ruh Roh -

Orioles' Kyle Bradish to start season on IL with elbow sprain​

He had a 2.83 ERA last year

Baltimore Orioles right-hander Kyle Bradishwill start the season on the injured list because of a sprained UCL in his pitching elbow.

Bradish's elbow sprain was one of several injuries announced Thursday by Orioles general manager Mike Elias, who also revealed that star infielder Gunnar Henderson is dealing with an oblique injury and that left-hander John Means is a month behind Baltimore's other starting pitchers and likely won't be ready for Opening Day.

Ruh Roh -

Orioles' Kyle Bradish to start season on IL with elbow sprain​

He had a 2.83 ERA last year

Baltimore Orioles right-hander Kyle Bradishwill start the season on the injured list because of a sprained UCL in his pitching elbow.

Bradish's elbow sprain was one of several injuries announced Thursday by Orioles general manager Mike Elias, who also revealed that star infielder Gunnar Henderson is dealing with an oblique injury and that left-hander John Means is a month behind Baltimore's other starting pitchers and likely won't be ready for Opening Day.
A strained elbow ligament? Would they be interested in trading him?

in a reply to that post, I saw this from Lucas Seehafer, who is a physical therapist and a strength and conditioning coach, as well as a doctoral candidate in Kinesiology. He often comments on medical matters for Twins Daily.

I've treated patients who have had plicae removed and this is exactly how they describe it. Also, why I'm optimistic about Buxton's season.

when asked "why wasn't this done sooner?" - Seehafer replied:

Plicae.....cause symptoms that are similar to many other knee conditions. They're almost never the initial diagnosis and not all require surgery to be successfully addressed. In short: Hindsight is 20/20.

So I think this sounds like a fairly valid reason to be at least somewhat optimistic about Buxton going into the season.

Worst commissioner ever

He may be the worst MLB commissioner ever, but he's light years behind Adam Silver for the NBA.

In other news... ouch. Nasty business for Scott Erickson, former Twins star pitcher. Not a good look, Scott...

Top Bottom