All Things 2024 Minnesota Twins In-Season Thread

Dean Chance pitched a one-hit shutout against the Kansas City Athletics at Met Stadium on this date in 1967.

Chance got his no-hitter on August 25 of that season.

21-year-old Catfish Hunter, already in his third season, gave up eight runs (seven earned) in just five innings for Kansas City. He got his revenge, though, 363 days later, pitching a perfect game against the Twins in the Athletics’ first season in Oakland.

Jackson and/or Okert need to go visit the other side of the river on Monday.

Go get a nice steak and no strip clubs tonight boyz, need to be fresh and frisky for tomorrow

with apologies to Merle Haggard

… Tonight the bullpen let me down
And let your memory come around
The one true friend I thought I'd found
Tonight the bullpen let me down

… I've always had a bullpen I could turn to
And lately I've been turnin' every day
But the pitches don't take effect the way they used to
And I'm hurtin' in an old familiar way

We need more of the Twins innings 1-4 and way less of the Twins innings 5-9. One hit after the 4th after 12 hits during the previous innings and horrendous pitching aside from Staumont who wore his big boy pants in relief. Need to win tomorrow to keep series winning streak alive!

What do the twins see in 36 year old Jay Johnson that Alcala can’t do. Outside of the fact Johnson would have to clear waivers to be sent down I just don’t understand his role on this team.

with apologies to Merle Haggard

… I've always had a bullpen I could turn to
And lately I've been turnin' every day
But the pitches don't take effect the way they used to
And I'm hurtin' in an old familiar way

No apologies required!

The Mets are getting no hit on FS1 curtesy of the Braves. In the 8th.

JD Martinez hits an opposite field bomb with two outs in the 9th; his first HR as a Met.

The last Braves no-no amazingly was in 30 years ago in 1994 by Kent Mecker.

Boy, the piching additions they made have been a massive pile of duds:
Descalfani? Nothing.
Topa? Nothing.
Okert? Just above putrid.
Jackson? Sucks.
Staumont? Best of a bad lot, probably due to incredibly small sample size.

Middle relief scary at the moment.

I think a guy like Dobnak would have a better chance getting outs than Jay Jackson.

Other AAA options: Topa, Varland, Festa....
Kind of bare down there at the moment.

I think a guy like Dobnak would have a better chance getting outs than Jay Jackson.

Topa might be another lemon. He had a setback on his rehab assignment.

I think it’s a little deeper than imagined,

Winder started his rehab assignment in St. Paul on May 7. I’ve always liked his stuff and hope once he’s ready, hopefully they call him up and unless he’s calamitous, give him the frickin season to prove himself.

They signed Caleb Bousley who had a 3,86 ERA last season with the Brewers while grabbing a cup of coffee - he’s at St. Paul.

They signed Austin Brice who was a big leaguer from 2016-2022 and was assigned to Wichita, I’m guessing to see if he has anything left.

Ronny Henriquez is still only 23 and on the 40 man roster -and has a 1.98 ERA in limited MLB innings - he may get a shot, to see if he’s worth keeping on the 40 man or not and if he’s really a contributor; his stats in St. Paul aren’t good.

No way Festa moves to the pen IMO; he’s a legit starter, who will likely get starts at the latest next year. This is his first full season in St. Paul and they’re developing him to be a part of the rotation for the future. Relieving is a different workload and mindset and would delay his progression as a starter.

Last edited:

Is Larnach bad defensively? He's the DH again today. I'd think he's a better LF than Kiriloff, but maybe not.

Top Bottom