All Things 2024 Minnesota Twins In-Season Thread

I agree with Festa.

What about Dallas Hill?

If, they can get Clevinger or Lorenzen for a good deal and can’t see why they wouldn’t, they should sign them today.
Maybe on Clevinger or Lorenzen. Don't know enough about their current situation to really advocate for either one.

Anyone else have any of these cards? I have a set of them but need to find them

1968 Topps Game

This insert set from the 1960s is unique. It’s a very limited set and like the 1964 Topps Giants seems to contain only the best of the best. The cards measure 2.25” x 3.25” so slightly smaller than today’s standard sized card. The cards resemble a deck of playing cards. The complete set has 33 cards, three of which are Twins players. Each card has a color image of the player, facsimile autograph, and a game outcome. This set contains a second year Rod Carew (#29) after his rookie card in 1967 was a dual card with the Senators’ Hank Allen.

I have the ‘69 Twins set. I’m finishing up some of my 87-92 overall sets and working on my Kirby Puckett collection (over 300 unique cards now). After that I’m gonna try to get as many Twins Topps sets as possible.

It's easy for us to say "The Twins should sign X player."

Just like it's easy for Jim Souhan to write a column saying the Twins should have signed Blake Snell for $30-million a year.

there's just one problem. the owners of the team don't want to spend that kind of money.

The Twins came out last year and told everyone they would be cutting the payroll. They didn't try to hide it or lie about it. They said what they were planning to do, and then they did it.

So why does anyone think the Pohlads are suddenly going to change their minds and say "what the hell, we don't care if we lose money. let's jack up the payroll!"

It ain't going to happen.

Aaron Gleeman in The Athletic had an article on Duran's injury -and of course, he made sure to mention that the Twins' options were limited because the owners were cutting payroll.

if Pablo Lopez hangs a sweeper on Opening Day and gives up a home run, I fully expect Gleeman, Twins Daily, and all the rest to find some way to blame that on a reduced payroll.

Just like it's easy for Jim Souhan to write a column saying the Twins should have signed Blake Snell for $30-million a year.

there's just one problem. the owners of the team don't want to spend that kind of money.

The Twins came out last year and told everyone they would be cutting the payroll. They didn't try to hide it or lie about it. They said what they were planning to do, and then they did it.

So why does anyone think the Pohlads are suddenly going to change their minds and say "what the hell, we don't care if we lose money. let's jack up the payroll!"
No one on here was seriously advocating to sign Snell or Montgomery.

Aaron Gleeman in The Athletic had an article on Duran's injury -and of course, he made sure to mention that the Twins' options were limited because the owners were cutting payroll.
I read the same article and posted part of it previously. Gleeman talked specifically about Clevinger and/or Lorenzen as realistic targets that wouldn’t break the bank or retreads like Hill or Kueckel.

You have 20% of your rotation out for a while/possibly the year. 20% who is in their secon season (Varland). & 20% coming off major elbow surgery, who will likely be eased into longer outings as the year goes by.

Every business has contingency plans for if/when something goes to 💩. My boss would get mad, when a subcontractor F’ed up a job and I’d have to terminate them and move the project to someone else to meet the project deadline; this invariably decreased the profit margin. As I would tell him over and over again, we can take 5% less profit and get the project done on time by switching suppliers or you can 🤞and hope the original supplier completes it on time, but if it doesn’t happen the client will want more than a 5% for not meeting the deadline and we have an upset client.

This here is one of those penny wise & pound foolish scenarios.
if Pablo Lopez hangs a sweeper on Opening Day and gives up a home run, I fully expect Gleeman, Twins Daily, and all the rest to find some way to blame that on a reduced payroll.

Last edited:

If spending an extra $6-8 million on Lorenzen or Clevinger to avoid letting a bad rotation train-wreck an otherwise good team is too much to ask of the Pohlads, they should sell the team.

Happy 76th birthday to 1969 first-round draft pick Paul Powell.

He hit an eighth-inning homer for his first MLB hit on April 10, 1971. (Unfortunately, it would be his only home run.)

In 1984, Twins right fielder Andre David homered on his first MLB swing off Jack Morris for his only career home run.IMG_5102.jpeg

But apparently he was an excuse to do nothing.
Maybe. More than likely the front office was given very stick parameters for payroll and this is what it looks like. Would it be nice if the twins would spend an additional $20 million this year, yes, but that is not what they do.

Maybe. More than likely the front office was given very stick parameters for payroll and this is what it looks like. Would it be nice if the twins would spend an additional $20 million this year, yes, but that is not what they do.
I don't think most expected them to go spend $20-30 million on a pitcher. They'd have kept Gray then. But refusing to spend $6-8 on a decent 4th starter like Lorenzen/Clevinger is just pathetic.

Happy 76th birthday to 1969 first-round draft pick Paul Powell.

He hit an eighth-inning homer for his first MLB hit on April 10, 1971. (Unfortunately, it would be his only home run.)

In 1984, Twins right fielder Andre David homered on his first MLB swing off Jack Morris for his only career home run.View attachment 30643
Amazing alliterative name, to boot.

I don't think most expected them to go spend $20-30 million on a pitcher. They'd have kept Gray then. But refusing to spend $6-8 on a decent 4th starter like Lorenzen/Clevinger is just pathetic.
I don't follow MLB as closely as most on here. Why haven't other teams signed Lorenzen or Clevinger?

Clevinger has some personal baggage. Not sure on Lorenzen.
Lorenzen was pretty bad down the stretch last year and was pushed to the bullpen in Philly.

I'd rather Varland get the chance over those two guys but it leaves them in a tough situation if Varland isn't very good or someone gets hurt. Woods Richardson looked pretty good in the spring and there's Festa.

Lorenzen was pretty bad down the stretch last year and was pushed to the bullpen in Philly.

I'd rather Varland get the chance over those two guys but it leaves them in a tough situation if Varland isn't very good or someone gets hurt. Woods Richardson looked pretty good in the spring and there's Festa.
I'm less worried about Varland than I am about Paddock. Either way, they will almost certainly need another starter soon enough.

Varland getting his piss worked today vs. the 🐅

Thus far -

3.2 IP
9 hits
8 R - all earned
3 BB
O K

Whose their agents?

I don't think there's anything there and he will still get a chance if he's #7.

Yeah, maybe. I'm also nervous about the rotation. It went from perhaps the biggest strength on last year's team to it's biggest weakness in one off-season.

None of the starters have had what you would call a stellar spring. Ryan probably most consistent. Lopez has struggled, Paddock, eh, Ober, OK, and Varland got shelled today. Hope they turn it around.

It's Spring Training. players are working on different pitches - different grips - different deliveries, etc. it's more about getting the work in than it is about results.

I've seen people have great springs, and then stink up the joint once the regular season starts, and vice versa.

besides, if you remember - last season the Twins were 45-46 at the All-Star break. They went 42-29 the rest of the way. so even if they get off to a slow start, it's not the end of the season. they still play in the AL Central.

Top Bottom