All Things 2024 Minnesota Twins In-Season Thread

Epic game on this date in 1986: Bert Blyleven allowed just two hits, striking out a then-team-record 15 to become just the 10th player in MLB history with 3,000 strikeouts.

Kirby Puckett, meanwhile, hit for seventh the cycle in team history.

It was Puck’s fourth-straight game with three or more hits, and his second such streak of the season.

Epic game on this date in 1986: Bert Blyleven allowed just two hits, striking out a then-team-record 15 to become just the 10th player in MLB history with 3,000 strikeouts.

Kirby Puckett, meanwhile, hit for seventh the cycle in team history.

It was Puck’s fourth-straight game with three or more hits, and his second such streak of the season.
What a great game to have seen in person - legendary performances

some more thoughts on the trade deadline. Ken Rosenthal in The Athletic makes the point that the deadline had a lot of volume but not so much quality.

Before calling for your general manager’s head, bemoaning the players your favorite team didn’t land, consider the bigger picture.

The three top left-handed starters discussed in trades – Tarik Skubal, Garrett Crochet and Blake Snell – did not move.

Hitters who might have shaken up the market – Vladimir Guerrero Jr., Luis Robert Jr., even Brent Rooker – also did not move.

Who was the best starting pitcher traded? Jack Flaherty, who was not as big a prize as David Price was in 2014 and ‘15, Zack Greinke was in 2019 or Max Scherzer was in 2021.

The best relievers traded? Tanner Scott and Carlos Estévez, both of whom are enjoying fine seasons, but to many fans are relative unknowns.

The best hitters traded? Take your pick between Jazz Chisholm Jr., Randy Arozarena and Isaac Paredes, none of whom will be confused with Juan Soto, the prize of the 2022 deadline.

MLB.com’s Mike Petriello put it well, saying on X, “I think we have to stop saying it’s a seller’s market, because with the expanded playoffs, there’s only a handful of teams really selling now, and it’s going to be like this every year.”

But the high prices simply reflected supply and demand.

Just this once, cut your GM some slack. There was only so much quality to be had.

some more thoughts on the trade deadline. Ken Rosenthal in The Athletic makes the point that the deadline had a lot of volume but not so much quality.

Before calling for your general manager’s head, bemoaning the players your favorite team didn’t land, consider the bigger picture.

The three top left-handed starters discussed in trades – Tarik Skubal, Garrett Crochet and Blake Snell – did not move.

Hitters who might have shaken up the market – Vladimir Guerrero Jr., Luis Robert Jr., even Brent Rooker – also did not move.

Who was the best starting pitcher traded? Jack Flaherty, who was not as big a prize as David Price was in 2014 and ‘15, Zack Greinke was in 2019 or Max Scherzer was in 2021.

The best relievers traded? Tanner Scott and Carlos Estévez, both of whom are enjoying fine seasons, but to many fans are relative unknowns.

The best hitters traded? Take your pick between Jazz Chisholm Jr., Randy Arozarena and Isaac Paredes, none of whom will be confused with Juan Soto, the prize of the 2022 deadline.

MLB.com’s Mike Petriello put it well, saying on X, “I think we have to stop saying it’s a seller’s market, because with the expanded playoffs, there’s only a handful of teams really selling now, and it’s going to be like this every year.”

But the high prices simply reflected supply and demand.

Just this once, cut your GM some slack. There was only so much quality to be had.
I have kind of mixed thoughts on the Trade Deadline.

While it adds excitement I think it's kind of cheesy that a pitcher that could be a main cog in leading a team to the World Series, may have only pitched 7 or 8 games ever in the regular season for the franchise so I am find with the rather limited movement.

Thank you for your thoughts.

Yes, I’m familiar with how the process functions, unlike ballpark beer prices - although I had a pretty good beer can collection in my youth - including an unopened can of Billy Beer.

The point I was attempting to make, was the Guards who were roughly in our spot last year IIRC, did find some decent players via the waiver wire.

As a chap who prefers his eggs sunny 🌞 side up - I will hope fate intervenes in a positive fashion for the stretch run.

While you may well versed on the waiver procedure, perhaps others were not as aware.

Also, I think there should be a way to evenly distribute such players. I think Cleveland was only a game or two behind the Twins record wise last year but they were able to jump in and pick up multiple players. Feels they should be limited to 1 (if others are making claims).

While you may well versed on the waiver procedure, perhaps others were not as aware.
I responded in kind to you replying to my post and thanked you also😃
Also, I think there should be a way to evenly distribute such players.
Yes.
I think Cleveland was only a game or two behind the Twins record wise last year but they were able to jump in and pick up multiple players. Feels they should be limited to 1 (if others are making claims).
Agree - no double dipping; it it’s not appropriate with appetizers, it shouldn’t be allowed with waiver claims either

Last edited:

Since the White Sox have lost 17 in a row it feels virtually certain we'll lose one to them.
I havent.been following baseball much. Thought you were exaggerating. Guess not. Odds are twins will lose one to them

Predicting a team to lose 1/3 games isn't dramatic, even if it is the White Sox.
I was referring to your gotcha comment (tad dramatic),regarding my musing of Brock Stewart’s future (which you misinterpreted).

We’ll know by the end of the weekend if you prediction is correct.

FYI, the Mighty Whites are currently playing at a blistering.243 clip as of this posting (27-84) and just traded away several of their key players - in case you missed it.

Last edited:

I responded in kind to you replying to my post and thanked you also😃

Yes.

Agree - no double dipping; it it’s not appropriate with appetizers, it shouldn’t be allowed with waiver claims either
I was 7 years old when I double-dipped a potato chip in front of my Irish grandma. Apparently, they never double-dipped potatoes in Ireland. I had no idea such a rule even existed.

August 1–2, 2016: Mired in the worst season in franchise history, the Twins set a team record with 19 extra-base hits over two games in Cleveland.

Joe Mauer and Max Kepler hit four each, with Kepler hitting three home runs in the August 1st game.

White Sox with a .243 winning percentage. so mathematically, in a 3-game series, the Sox would be expected to win .729 games.

since you cannot win 73% of one game, then going strictly by the numbers, if the Sox win 1 game, they would be exceeding their typical winning rate.

but it's baseball. weird stuff happens. FWIW, here are the pitching matchups:

Friday, 7:10 p.m.: RHP Davis Martin (0-0, 3.38 ERA) vs. RHP Joe Ryan (6-7, 3.69)
Saturday, 6:10 p.m.: LHP Garrett Crochet (6-8, 3.23 ERA) vs. RHP Bailey Ober (10-5, 3.76)
Sunday, 1:10 p.m.: RHP Chris Flexen (2-10, 5.13 ERA) vs. RHP Simeon Woods Richardson (3-1, 3.27)

Davis Martin is making his first MLB start since Oct 5, 2022 - he had TJ surgery last season.

Crochet leads MLB with 12.59 K per 9 innings, and leads the AL with 160 strikeouts.

Crochet vs Twins this season:
April 24 - Twins win 6-3. Crochet 4IP, 7H, 5ER, 2BB, 6K -- Willi Castro with a 3-run HR. Vazquez 3 Hits.

April 29 - Twins win 3-2. Crochet 5IP, 2H, 2ER, 1BB, 7K -- Carlos Santana w/ a 2-run HR.

She altered my snack options. Grandma worked years for Hostess in New Hope and always brought home the good stuff.

You can't double-dip a Ding Dong...unless you're at a pool party with BarnBurner.
Juvenile Diabetic?

Thurman Munson and Luis Tiant were rivals.

But when both of Tiant's parents died three days apart in 1976, Munson sent a beautiful bouquet to the double funeral.

As fate had it, Tiant joined the Yankees in 1979 and was the starting pitcher for New York at Yankee Stadium the night after Munson died.

Sidenote: Chaska High School graduate Brad Gulden caught for New York in the ninth inning of that game.

White Sox with a .243 winning percentage. so mathematically, in a 3-game series, the Sox would be expected to win .729 games.

since you cannot win 73% of one game, then going strictly by the numbers, if the Sox win 1 game, they would be exceeding their typical winning rate.

but it's baseball. weird stuff happens. FWIW, here are the pitching matchups:

Friday, 7:10 p.m.: RHP Davis Martin (0-0, 3.38 ERA) vs. RHP Joe Ryan (6-7, 3.69)
Saturday, 6:10 p.m.: LHP Garrett Crochet (6-8, 3.23 ERA) vs. RHP Bailey Ober (10-5, 3.76)
Sunday, 1:10 p.m.: RHP Chris Flexen (2-10, 5.13 ERA) vs. RHP Simeon Woods Richardson (3-1, 3.27)

Davis Martin is making his first MLB start since Oct 5, 2022 - he had TJ surgery last season.

Crochet leads MLB with 12.59 K per 9 innings, and leads the AL with 160 strikeouts.

Crochet vs Twins this season:
April 24 - Twins win 6-3. Crochet 4IP, 7H, 5ER, 2BB, 6K -- Willi Castro with a 3-run HR. Vazquez 3 Hits.

April 29 - Twins win 3-2. Crochet 5IP, 2H, 2ER, 1BB, 7K -- Carlos Santana w/ a 2-run HR.
One other thing to beat in mind, before this weekend’s scintillating series, is the Twins are 9-1 vs. the Sox, thus far.

I’ll be curious to see what type of gate this series draws -

22K/ avg per game
25K/avg per game
30k/avg per game

Twins are going to have to wait. We've got the Savannah Bananas vs. The Party Animals on ESPN.
If you're not familiar, the Bananas are sort of baseball's version of the Harlem Globetrotters.

Twins are going to have to wait. We've got the Savannah Bananas vs. The Party Animals on ESPN.
If you're not familiar, the Bananas are sort of baseball's version of the Harlem Globetrotters.
Royce jacked one for a line drive ding dong

Crazy that the Sox won’t even be eligible for a lottery pick (top 10), next season, as they’re a high revenue team - Yikes

They should go into total sux mode and trade Roberts and Crochet in the off season and start a complete rebuild and embrace the sux for the next 3-4 years.

Caught the last inning of Snell’s no-no against Reds - amazingly, that’s the first time in his career he’s thrown a pitch in the ninth inning.

Top Bottom