All Things 2024 Daniel Freitag Recruitment Thread (Gophers Have Offered)

He can drive to the U and check it out, and probably get comp'ed tix to bball, football, etc. games any times he wants.

Probably doesn't need to "waste" an O. visit on us. His free 247 profile says he has already taken them at Madison and Baylor.

I saw him quite a few times on tv behind the bench last year at Gopher games. I don’t think he is going to the U unless he ends up playing football. I kind of think the Gophers are pursuing the guard from up north instead. I have no inside information on this…it’s my own speculation.

I saw him quite a few times on tv behind the bench last year at Gopher games. I don’t think he is going to the U unless he ends up playing football. I kind of think the Gophers are pursuing the guard from up north instead. I have no inside information on this…it’s my own speculation.
In the last article posted about his bucket recruiting, he didn’t mention Gophers as having any contact with him at all. It’s been alluded to that he might not be a great fit for the culture.

My understanding is we’re all in on Asuma from Cherry 🍒

Saw him play the other night vs Edina. Scored 30 I think very athletic, handles the ball well, sees the floor, plays with toughness on offense and defense. His outside shooting needs work. He made a few shots outside but not a consistent threat from there.
I was at that game as wasn’t impressed. For being the #53 best recruit (or whatever he is in the class of 24) he should’ve dominated. And I know the box score says he had 30 points, but he was not dominating that game. He was not blowing by people. When I think top 50 prospect who is a pg, I think great speed, he didn’t really have that. He also took a many plays off and played poor defense.

I will say, he probably is at his worst on the Bloomington Jefferson team. They play him on the block for long stretches of the game. At the next level he will literally never post up, and I assume in AAU hall he also never posts up. That team is lacking many things and he is asked to play out of position. He’s essentially a PG at the next level, but he’s their biggest / strongest guy so they have him post up (doesn’t serve his long-term interest well).

One concern I’d have is that he is a man-child. Extremely built and strong. This serves him extremely well at the hs level, but he won’t be able to utilize this at the next level.

In order to evaluate him you have to see him in a top flight AAU competition where he is playing point, not when he is playing for Jefferson.

Gophers are having several football visitors on Monday. Freitag is one of them.

I was at that game as wasn’t impressed. For being the #53 best recruit (or whatever he is in the class of 24) he should’ve dominated. And I know the box score says he had 30 points, but he was not dominating that game. He was not blowing by people. When I think top 50 prospect who is a pg, I think great speed, he didn’t really have that. He also took a many plays off and played poor defense.

I will say, he probably is at his worst on the Bloomington Jefferson team. They play him on the block for long stretches of the game. At the next level he will literally never post up, and I assume in AAU hall he also never posts up. That team is lacking many things and he is asked to play out of position. He’s essentially a PG at the next level, but he’s their biggest / strongest guy so they have him post up (doesn’t serve his long-term interest well).

One concern I’d have is that he is a man-child. Extremely built and strong. This serves him extremely well at the hs level, but he won’t be able to utilize this at the next level.

In order to evaluate him you have to see him in a top flight AAU competition where he is playing point, not when he is playing for Jefferson.
He was playing out of position most of the game due to Jefferson’s lack of talent and size. He had what I would call a quiet 30. I didn’t think he was doing too much on offense all game, then looked at the scoreboard late in the 2nd half to see he was by far the scoring leader for both teams. They didn’t utilize him on offense very much to break the defense down. He did on occasion but played within their system I thought. Defensively he was passive at times but some of that was because Jefferson didn’t pressure the ball much and switched quite often.
I’d like to see him in AAU where he is running the point to see how he distributes the ball more and can he handle pressure
His strength does help now and will also help him at the college level to not get moved off his path and in defending other guards at the next level.

In the last article posted about his bucket recruiting, he didn’t mention Gophers as having any contact with him at all. It’s been alluded to that he might not be a great fit for the culture.

My understanding is we’re all in on Asuma from Cherry 🍒
Agreed, he doesn't seem to have much interest in hoops at the U, but more interest in Fleck and the football program. They are all in on Asuma, and you're right, there is not a culture fit between Freitag and Johnson.

Why are we not following this kid 24/7?? Yes I know there are other threads. He must have told our coaches to back off?? Any updates?
Reading between the lines. Seems like we favor Asuma and the concern programs like Baylor had were they viewed him as an undersized two and not a PG. Although I think Tony Bennett likes him as a PG/CG type

The article I read about his football visit said Fleck would find a way for him to play both if he wanted to.

Reading between the lines. Seems like we favor Asuma and the concern programs like Baylor had were they viewed him as an undersized two and not a PG. Although I think Tony Bennett likes him as a PG/CG type
Sounds a little like Adam Boone,a great high school basketball player and scorer but really not a PG and not a great enough shooter to play SG in D1 college. Gophers were 3-13 his first year as Gophers PG and 5-11 his last year but there was an injury season in between those two where the Gophers were 10-6 and he didn't play. His stats were always decent but first and foremost I think the PG has to make everyone else better and that is critical.

what does "concern programs" mean in your comment? Concern as in he will most likely go there or something else?

what does "concern programs" mean in your comment? Concern as in he will most likely go there or something else?
I think it's pretty clear from what the poster said that the "concern" is that those programs see Freitag as a 'tweener' or a combo guard - not a true PG.

I've also seen a lot of talk about Freitag as a Football recruit.

He plays “out of position” at times because, as one of his coaches told me “we can ask a lot of him”, meaning he has no ego, and will do what he can to help the team.
i could be way off on this....but didnt the U and others back off for some particular reason? or am i thinking of another recruit?

i could be way off on this....but didnt the U and others back off for some particular reason? or am i thinking of another recruit?
That is the unsubstantiated rumor going around here. However, The "U" staff (both football and basketball) are still recruiting him hard. I'm trying to make it to their game tomorrow night and will try to pry more info out of the BBall coaches.

That is the unsubstantiated rumor going around here. However, The "U" staff (both football and basketball) are still recruiting him hard. I'm trying to make it to their game tomorrow night and will try to pry more info out of the BBall coaches.
It's not really unsubstantiated the "U" basketball staff isn't recruiting him very hard. He's said it himself.

Granted, the odds of making it professionally aren’t favorable in either basketball or football, but there simply more roster spaces in the NFL (1,696) than NBA (450), although good professional careers can be made overseas in hoops. Seems if he has pro aspirations football is the better bet.

Granted, the odds of making it professionally aren’t favorable in either basketball or football, but there simply more roster spaces in the NFL (1,696) than NBA (450), although good professional careers can be made overseas in hoops. Seems if he has pro aspirations football is the better bet.
The average NFL career is 3 years (and pretty much no minor leagues) while guys like Mav Ahanmisi, Dusty Rychart, and Rick Rickert have had long careers playing overseas.

I think if you ran the math on all of the basketball opportunities broken down by income and compare it to the NFL, if you have a chance to do EITHER, pick basketball.

I see him listed as anywhere from 6-1 to 6-3? The best gopher of the last 30 years was a 6-1 sg? Played next to a big 6-3 pg, so I am nit sure who guarded the taller player. This team lacks smaller and quick players. Weird you couldn't recruit both. I believe Asuna is 6-3. Wasn't Westbrook 6-1?

He’s not that quick in terms of elite D1 quickness

More tough than quick / athletic

He’s not that quick in terms of elite D1 quickness

More tough than quick / athletic
Got ya but how many players have been on a gophers roster with elite quickness? Not sure I would say even Tre and Tyus has elite quickness, though they were very good!

Got ya but how many players have been on a gophers roster with elite quickness? Not sure I would say even Tre and Tyus has elite quickness, though they were very good!
Dre mathiu- can’t think of many in last 15 years

Tre and tyus were also true floor general PGs, Freitag is a combo guard

I see him listed as anywhere from 6-1 to 6-3? The best gopher of the last 30 years was a 6-1 sg? Played next to a big 6-3 pg, so I am nit sure who guarded the taller player. This team lacks smaller and quick players. Weird you couldn't recruit both. I believe Asuna is 6-3. Wasn't Westbrook 6-1?
How tall was Maxx Williams?

Top Bottom