All things 2023 World Juniors

Any of you guys seen Rinzel play much? Who does he compare to?

4 current and 1 past gopher make the team. 25 skaters are credentialed, but only 23 are on the roster. If 1 of the 23 is injured they can be replaced by a credentialed player but are done for the tournament if that happens.

When do we know the actual playing roster?

Seems like this forum is becoming twitter now. Would love a bit more color commentary.

Mittelstadt appears to be fighting for the last D spot with Casey.

Seems like this forum is becoming twitter now. Would love a bit more color commentary.

Mittelstadt appears to be fighting for the last D spot with Casey.
Team USA is small, fast, and skilled. Their D core is tiny and will rely on their speed and puck moving to get out of trouble. The top line will be really good, but after that I am concerned about scoring. Not to mention goaltending.

Canada is crazy good with a number of guys leaving the NHL to play. Their D core is gonna be big, old, and physical. As always their goaltending is also questionable so we shall see.

Canada and the USA are basically gonna play opposites styles so who knows what happens other than they shouldn’t meet until the semi’s. The USA needs some from the top line to have a Trevor Zegras type tournament from 2022 to have a chance to win it all. Can the US make it to face Canada and be able to skate pressure on their D like they did in 2021? I am excited for December 26th to get here and start watching.

Team USA is small, fast, and skilled. Their D core is tiny and will rely on their speed and puck moving to get out of trouble. The top line will be really good, but after that I am concerned about scoring. Not to mention goaltending.

Canada is crazy good with a number of guys leaving the NHL to play. Their D core is gonna be big, old, and physical. As always their goaltending is also questionable so we shall see.

Canada and the USA are basically gonna play opposites styles so who knows what happens other than they shouldn’t meet until the semi’s. The USA needs some from the top line to have a Trevor Zegras type tournament from 2022 to have a chance to win it all. Can the US make it to face Canada and be able to skate pressure on their D like they did in 2021? I am excited for December 26th to get here and start watching.
Size definitely concerns me as well as discipline since Stramel and Cooley call the Box their second home... However in regards to depth 9 of our 13 forwards are scoring around a point per game if not more and then there's Chaz Lucius who although is not my favorite player could very well have a coming out party.
As for D I know we are small and I know how good Hughes and Chesley are (I'd mention Mittelstadt but idk how much he'll play) but I don't know how are other defenseman. If our bigger forwards can help with physicality and stick play then we should be good but as I mentioned before I don't know much about this team aside from the Gophers.

A few years back, Canada had something like 15 first round NHL picks and some were wondering if they had the best team in the history of the tournament. Then we beat them in the gold medal game, so it turns out they didn't even have the best team on this continent that year!

A few years back, Canada had something like 15 first round NHL picks and some were wondering if they had the best team in the history of the tournament. Then we beat them in the gold medal game, so it turns out they didn't even have the best team on this continent that year!
It was 2010 in Canada and the US won 6-5 in overtime. It was maybe the greatest sporting event I have ever watched. John Carlson scored in overtime on a 2-1 after a save by jack Campbell.

It was 2010 in Canada and the US won 6-5 in overtime. It was maybe the greatest sporting event I have ever watched. John Carlson scored in overtime on a 2-1 after a save by jack Campbell.

2021 was actually the one I had in mind, but 2010 was very memorable as well.

Your starters vs Latvia. 4 Minnesota players make the 1st game roster with 3 starters and an extra skater. I’ll go USA 8 - Latvia 2 with Jimmy S getting a hatrick. All the excitement starts in an hour on NHLnetwork.

Sloppy 1st period out of team USA. Lots of long shifts and dangles.

Snuggerud comes out and gets a greasy goal a couple of minutes into period 2.

Canadien fans bitching about the 5 minute major. Pretty obvious hit to the head. Cost them 2 goals. Canada’s turn on the powerplay now

Czechs are big and physical with skill. They could win this thing
They took out care of the US this summer in the 2022 world juniors. That’s what scares me about the US, they are small. Their D core is small and as great as Luke Hughes is he is not exactly shutdown D right now. They need to rely on an unrelenting hint of pucks as they are not going to out physical many teams along the boards.

Top Bottom