All Things 2023 NFL Draft

I know it’s a long ways away but thought we could have a thread about talk of the draft next spring.

Tyler Nubin getting some recognition.

Speaking of the secondary, gotta think that Terrell Smith might be playing himself into late to mid round consideration especially given his speed and length. I think he will test well and he has been impressive so far this year.

Speaking of the secondary, gotta think that Terrell Smith might be playing himself into late to mid round consideration especially given his speed and length. I think he will test well and he has been impressive so far this year.
Was thinking the same thing.

Yeah...that's exactly what it says in the article.......along with Jordan Howden.

I remember him standing out right off the bat as a freshman. Quietly (which is a good thing for a d-back) been a very solid player for the Gophers. At the very least.....his speed should help him make a roster as a back end dback who can also contribute on ST.

The DB-U stuff has been one of the highlights in the last 10+ years
Troy Stoudermire
  • All Big Ten Honorable Mention 2012
  • CFL player for theSaskatchewan Roughriders, Winnipeg Blue Bombers, Edmonton Eskimos, Calgary Stampeders and Ottawa Redbalcks.
  • Won a Grey Cup with Calgary
Michael Carter
  • All Big Ten Honorable Mention 2012
Brock Vereen
  • First Team All Big Ten 2012
  • Drafted in R4 by the Chicago Bears in 2014
Cedric Thompson
  • Drafted in R5 by Miami Dolphins in 2015
Damarius Travis
  • All Big Ten Honorable Mention in 2016
Brian Boddy Calhoun
  • First Team All Big Ten 2014
  • Third Team All Big Ten 2015
  • UDFA in 2016. Played for the Cleveland Browns, Houston Texans, Indianapolis Colts and San Francisco 49ers
Eric Murray
  • Second Team All Big Ten 2014
  • Third Team All Big Ten 2015
  • Drafted R4 by the Kansas City Chiefs in R4 in 2016. Currently plays for the Houston Texans
Jalen Myrick
  • All Big Ten Honorable Mention 2015
  • All Big Ten Honorable Mention 2016
  • Drafted R7 by the Jacksonville Jaguars in 2017
Jacob Huff
  • All Big Ten Honorable Mention 2018
Antoine Winfield Jr.
  • First Team All Big Ten 2019
  • All American 2019
  • Big Ten Defensive Back of the Year 2019,
  • Drafted R2 by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in 2020
  • Won Super Bowl with Buccaneers
Chris Williamson
  • Drafted R7 by the New York Giants
Benjamin St.-Juste
  • Drafted R3 by the Washington Commanders

Gophers safety Tyler Nubin drawing attention from NFL​

On Nubin, Fleck said, “The great thing about Tyler is you can’t say enough good things about him. I can’t stop talking about him. … You want to be the best “and” guy on the team. He’s one of them.”

Gophers defensive coordinator Joe Rossi said Nubin has become one of their best players “because he practices really hard, because he studies really hard.

“He’s got ability, for sure. … But there are a lot of people with God-given ability, and the ones that maximize that God-given ability are good people doing the right things.”

Rossi said the “cool thing” is that Nubin has not always been among their best players. Nubin, a four-star recruit from St. Charles, Ill., transitioned from cornerback to safety in college and struggled in his first significant action in 2020.

Nubin’s PFF grade was 45.6 in 2020, roughly half of what it is now. When addressing another player las week, Rossi has used Nubin’s practice habits as an example.

The biggest stride Nubin has made from 2021 is with his tackling. “It’s way more aggressive,” fellow safety Jordan Howden said.

Go Gophers!!

Earlier this year I thought Tanner had a chance to be drafted. Now I lay down until those kind of thoughts go away.
He'll get invited to camp somewhere and maybe get a few snaps in a preseason game but that's probably it. I think that would have been the case even if he has been playing well.

He'll get invited to camp somewhere and maybe get a few snaps in a preseason game but that's probably it. I think that would have been the case even if he has been playing well.
If he is invited to an NFL camp I owe you a drink. The 2019 Tanner is long gone and I have no idea where he went.

The puzzling thing about Humphrey dropping in the 2021 draft is that he absolutely blew up at the combine and had an RAS of 10.0. Schmitz doesn't test that well physically and that might turn a few teams off, but I totally agree that if a team wants someone assignment-sure with proven productivity, Schmitz is their guy.

really hope he falls to the level at which the vikes are picking. they need help on the interior and he seems like a plug and play guy all across the inside
The Vikings need to pay attention to JMS. He is right under their noses. Don't let him get away.

Vikings main priority is to get defense with pick 24 and barring any deals for draft picks, don't pick again until 87.

I don't see JMS dropping that low!

Vikings main priority is to get defense with pick 24 and barring any deals for draft picks, don't pick again until 87.

I don't see JMS dropping that low!
IMO they need to trade out of 24 for a couple picks in the 35-70 range. Their roster needs so much help. Hopefully JMS would fall to that early or mid 2nd rd area in that case.

IMO they need to trade out of 24 for a couple picks in the 35-70 range. Their roster needs so much help. Hopefully JMS would fall to that early or mid 2nd rd area in that case.
My hope is that they would either trade out or select on a best available basis. the roster is a long way from contending. But if you get a shot at a guy who will be a multicontract starter with low floor and a pro bowl level ceiling, you take it. I share your sentiment they'd be best served to trade down, especially if they can get a situation where maybe the last of the 4 QB prospects is still on the board and someone wants to trade up/in to get them

Dane Brugler over at The Athletic just released his annual tome regarding draft prospects. Lot of detail and makes War and Peace seem like a breezy read. Brugler is a classic "projection over production" guy in his assessments, so there's not a whole lot of love for the Gophers. He puts Schmitz in the Rounds 2/3 range, Smith in Round 4, Howden in Rounds 6/7, and Ibrahim in Round 7. Has Morgan as PFA and Rush is also listed as a UDFA candidate.

I think Schmitz is easily gone by the top of the 2nd round and Smith by the end of the 4th. I am less certain about the other guys, but I do think both Ibrahim and Howden get chosen. Howden had a terrific pro day and he's improved every year.

Has Morgan as PFA
"Preferred" Free Agent?

I agree with you on JMS not making it past the top of the 2nd, but I don't think Mo is getting drafted. He's more likely to get the obligatory invite the vikes gave to Leidner, but that's about it. I say UDFA and first round of cuts for him.

(I'm sure I'll incur the wrath of those that can't tolerate anything but praise for Gopher athletes, but oh well, we'll see who's right in a few weeks.)

Top Bottom