All Things 2023 Minnesota Twins In-Season Thread

It was rather fortunate that Ryan didn't catch or get a piece of that line drive screamer.

Get the automated strike zone. I’m tired of a pitch 3 inches outside being called a strike for one team and then another catching the edge and being called a ball.

This is my biggest gripe with Rocco. If you’re willing to bring in another reliever here, why not do it before Jax gives up the lead? It’s clear he was struggling and had a large pitch count.

Like WTF was the point of warming Duran up? What situation other than what actually occurred would you bring him in there for?

This is my biggest gripe with Rocco. If you’re willing to bring in another reliever here, why not do it before Jax gives up the lead? It’s clear he was struggling and had a large pitch count.

Like WTF was the point of warming Duran up? What situation other than what actually occurred would you bring him in there for?

That I agree with. The other night he couldn’t wait to get De Leon out for Pagan and tonight he rides with jax too long. Call it bad luck or call it a lack of ability but Jax being bad is less then ideal for the twins this year. Gonna make the bullpen even smaller when it takes 3-4 relieves to finish a game.

The twins have a bullpen problem. Not sure what can be done to solve it, but it’s going to be a long year of highs and lows late in games.

Have to stop using Jax in high leverage spots for a bit. Desperately need Thielbar back ASAP.

Angels sweep incoming. Tigers in first by Tuesday.

I’m curious when the twins mentality about not have a “closer” changed. These last two games were prime examples where Duran should have come out to survive the 7th as that was the biggest spot in the game so far. Instead he was not used and was going to be saved for 9th and Lopez for the 8th. The only problem is the game didn’t make it to those innings with the twins in the lead. I was thinking that it was 2019 or 2020 where they were very proud to not have a “closer” but instead would deploy their best pitchers at the highest leverage situation. I just don’t like getting beat when not using your best pitchers and the past two games that’s exactly what has happened. Manage the game for where it is, not hoping to get to the unknown.

Also you can’t have two guys in the pen that you have no faith in ever using. The twins starters are pitching the most innings in baseball per start and it still requires 3-4 bullpen guys to get to the finish line. With 8 guys in the pen you can afford to have two guys never used brining your total to 6 guys in the pen. The basically requires you to go to Pagan in high leverage situations no matter what the twins say about his usage. The fact the front office could see spending 4-6 million on another bullpen arm is not a great look now and will have to be addressed at the trading deadline now. So now rather then just spending money it’s going to cost you money and player(s).

Last edited:

I’m curious when the twins mentality about not have a “closer” changed. These last two games were prime examples where Duran should have come out to survive the 7th as that was the biggest spot in the game so far. Instead he was not used and was going to be saved for 9th and Lopez for the 8th. The only problem is the game didn’t make it to those innings with the twins in the lead. I was thinking that it was 2019 or 2020 were very proud to not have a “closer” but instead would deploy their best pitchers at the highest leverage situation. I just don’t like getting beat when not using your best pitchers and the past two games that’s exactly what has happened. Manage the game for where it is, not hoping to where it can be.

Also you can’t have two guys in the pen that you have no faith in ever using. The twins starters are pitching the most innings in baseball per start and it still requires 3-4 bullpen guys to get to the finish line. With 8 guys in the pen you can afford to have two guys never used brining your total to 6 guys in the pen. The basically requires you to go to Pagan in high leverage situations no matter what the twins say about his usage. The fact the front office could see spending 4-6 million on another bullpen arm is not a great look now and will have to be addressed at the trading deadline now. So now rather then just spending money it’s going to cost you money and player(s).

The Twins need help in the bullpen but the usage by Rocco and company continues to makes little sense at times. I have no problem starting the inning with Jax there. But you had Duran warming up and it was obvious Jax was struggling, why do you not bring him in? What was the point of warming him up if you're not going to use him in a situation like that?

It's weird, we've complained many times in the past about how quickly they take out starters but now this year especially they are leaving relievers in way too long at times. I just don't get it.

The Twins need help in the bullpen but the usage by Rocco and company continues to makes little sense at times. I have no problem starting the inning with Jax there. But you had Duran warming up and it was obvious Jax was struggling, why do you not bring him in? What was the point of warming him up if you're not going to use him in a situation like that?

It's weird, we've complained many times in the past about how quickly they take out starters but now this year especially they are leaving relievers in way too long at times. I just don't get it.
To be fair as soon as Jax gave up the lead he came out of the game. Gotta keep him fresh to tomorrow.

relief pitchers are weird. Sure. the elite relievers tend to be good most years, but then there is this other class of relievers who are almost replaceable parts - guys who have a good season then fall apart the next season, to be replaced by another reliever who might be good for a couple of years before he falls apart.

right now, it looks as if Jax has turned into Matt Wisler. Wisler had a really good year with the Twins in 2020, throwing sliders about 85% of the time. then he went to the Giants the next year and just got lit up.

for every Eddie G. or Joe Nathan, there is an endless list of guys who had 1 or 2 good years then imploded. Juan Rincon was really good for a 3-year stretch, then he blew up. and so on and so on.
it's just part of the game - which does not make it fun to watch.

In ex-Twins news, the Yankees cut Aaron Hicks and they still owe him $27.6 million on the contract he signed in 2019.

Please give me one good reason why we should not be using robot umps to call balls and strikes.
The reason I was hesitant in the past was having verification the technology is accurate for all batters based on height, stance and consistent all ballparks. For instance I am not always completely trusting of that box shown on TV broadcasts.

I think now it's advanced to the point that it is better than human umps. As long as it passes the trial runs in AAA, I have evolved to thinking the time is near to make the switch.

I guess one could argue in a blow out it's nice to have a bit more liberal strike call here or there, but that's a really minor concern. That aspect also would not likely impact the ultimate outcome of a game either.

Did he refuse the 2023 team mandate to cheat?

Nope. Problem was more along the lines of even if the opposing pitcher told him what he was throwing and where he was trying to throw it, Hicks couldn't hit it.

His injuries just wouldn't let him.

Nope. Problem was more along the lines of even if the opposing pitcher told him what he was throwing and where he was trying to throw it, Hicks couldn't hit it.

His injuries just wouldn't let him.
Injuries suck. Hopefully this isn't the end of his playing career but at least he has a $27M parachute.

Thank god it was not bases loaded. Run scored. Nice hustle by Buxton.

Great response to not give up a run after a big 1st inning. With their lineup.

At least it's not the gong show at the plate they had last night, but the Twins are 5-40 with the bases loaded. Dead last in MLB.

Brandon Warne saying twins have worst batting average in the majors out of the first 3 spots in the batting order.

Buxton out now.

giphy.gif

How can this ref be that shitty? Perfect strike called a ball. Followed up with a double. On cue.

Might be the worst miss all season and that’s saying something.

Top Bottom