All Things 2023 Minnesota Twins In-Season Thread

On injuries - back in the day, players had jobs in the off-season - or if they didn't have a job, they weren't working out all year. They came to Spring training to get in shape.

Today, players work out year-round and I think they put more stress on their bodies. Plus the whole trend toward "max effort." The old guys knew how to pace themselves. And they had better nicknames - but that's another topic.

On injuries - back in the day, players had jobs in the off-season - or if they didn't have a job, they weren't working out all year. They came to Spring training to get in shape.

Today, players work out year-round and I think they put more stress on their bodies. Plus the whole trend toward "max effort." The old guys knew how to pace themselves. And they had better nicknames - but that's another topic.

Yes, I think the year round workout has to be a big part of it.
Regarding your last sentence. Top three twins nicknames:
1. Killer
2. Rat
3. Kitty

Very true. Last yr was just frustrating as I'm guessing we were the most injured team and the Indians had to have been the least injured. This season more reasonable so far.
I think the Twins were a big unlucky last year while Cleveland was very lucky.

Jordan Balazovic continues to pitch well at St Paul. Amazing comeback after a horrendous year last year. He had a WHIP of almost 2.000 last season.

He was coming out of the bullpen but has now made 3 straight starts (although short starts). He could be an option out of the bullpen with the Twins as the season goes on but it will be interesting to see if they really plan on trying to use him as a starter long term.

i was pretty pissed when they got rid of him.

But i guess at some point you have to give your prospects a chance.

Urshela was relatively cheap at 6.5 million though
You could have easily afforded Urshela with the $4 million you're paying Pagan and the $1-2 million you're paying Solano. I'd much, much rather have him. They've tried to portray it as a "trade" of Ushela for Farmer but it wasn't an either/or choice.

You could have easily afforded Urshela with the $4 million you're paying Pagan and the $1-2 million you're paying Solano. I'd much, much rather have him. They've tried to portray it as a "trade" of Ushela for Farmer but it wasn't an either/or choice.
Urshela has been playing 1B for the Angels. I don't know if the Twins didn't think that he could play there but he could have easily played the part that Solano is at the very least.

If Urshela was not able to play 1B, then I do think it was an either/or of him and Farmer from a roster make-up standpoint.

I think if Miranda didn't have such a rough start to the season (I don't think anyone could have predicted), I don't believe we'd be talking about Gio.

For reference, the Twins have gotten a .638 OPS out of their 3B position so far this season.

One of the MLB rumors Twitter accounts had a Tweet today that should the Angels listen to trade offers, the Dodgers, Mets and Twins are expected to be major players for Ohtani.
I can't even imagine what it would take to make that happen.

One of the MLB rumors Twitter accounts had a Tweet today that should the Angels listen to trade offers, the Dodgers, Mets and Twins are expected to be major players for Ohtani.
I can't even imagine what it would take to make that happen.
I saw that too. Highly unlikely but fun to dream.

Gonna throw this out there. Just started thinking about what former twins pitcher would be a good comp for Joe Ryan?

Gonna throw this out there. Just started thinking about what former twins pitcher would be a good comp for Joe Ryan?
I think most people would be thrilled if Joe Ryan's second full year was as good as Scott Erickson's.

Quality at-bats again tonight. And a runner completely dead at home but Farmer isn’t paying attention.

I think most people would be thrilled if Joe Ryan's second full year was as good as Scott Erickson's.

Interesting. I was thinking he kinda reminded me of Tapani. If I recall, injuries side railed Erickson's career, but that 20 win season was nice.

Looks like the goal for this series has become to not get swept. Larnach has no chance, but guess rest of team isn't doing much better.

With Kiriloff being out of the line-up that increases the odds of a no hitter against this twins offense by at least 15%.

This guy is 0-3 with a 4.38 era and a whip of almost 1.5. So far the twins have walked twice and have struck out 10 time in 5 inning.

PATHETIC.

Seems like every time the other team throws a run-of-the-mill lefty out there, the hitters have no chance whatsoever.

Looks like Julien was removed from the game after getting a hit on his first at bat. Wonder if he's on his way west.

There’s zero reason for Solano to be on this team if he isn’t going to hit lefties.

Seems like every time the other team throws a run-of-the-mill lefty out there, the hitters have no chance whatsoever.
That is why they needed to spend on a right handed corner outfield guy. Someone like Andrew McCuthen would have been nice. This undoing against lefties is totally the front offices doing.

That is why they needed to spend on a right handed corner outfield guy. Someone like Andrew McCuthen would have been nice. This undoing against lefties is totally the front offices doing.
One player doesn’t change how bad they’ve been against lefties. I get what you’re saying and don’t disagree bringing in a guy like him would be nice but there’s gotta be something about their approach that is causing this.

One player doesn’t change how bad they’ve been against lefties. I get what you’re saying and don’t disagree bringing in a guy like him would be nice but there’s gotta be something about their approach that is causing this.
It just messes with your bench. When you are carrying Kiriloff and Kepler or larnach, depending on who is hurt you don’t have many options. Hell they should trade for Brent Rooker at the deadline as the A’s are going to lose 120 games.

Kiriloff can just flat out hit.

Looks like Julien was removed from the game after getting a hit on his first at bat. Wonder if he's on his way west.
Report is he was not pulled because of an injury and was not in the clubhouse postgame. Polanco likely heading to the IL.

Top Bottom