All Things 2023 Minnesota Twins In-Season Thread

I can understand that if the they were bringing in Pagan with the bases empty. But they weren't, use your best relievers in critical situations. That's what's been done in the past, now he's gone away from that for some reason. Worst case is you have to bring in Pagan sometime in the 8th to finish the inning so you might end up in a similar situation but it's also possible Lopez gets out of the 7th quickly and then does the same in the 8th. Or even bring in Duran to get the last out of the 8th if needed and then pitch the 9th. Duran was pretty well rested.

All we needed was a double play

I can understand that if the they were bringing in Pagan with the bases empty. But they weren't, use your best relievers in critical situations. That's what's been done in the past, now he's gone away from that for some reason. Worst case is you have to bring in Pagan sometime in the 8th to finish the inning so you might end up in a similar situation but it's also possible Lopez gets out of the 7th quickly and then does the same in the 8th. Or even bring in Duran to get the last out of the 8th if needed and then pitch the 9th. Duran was pretty well rested.
Ultimately, I agree with your sentiment and would have preferred Lopez (assuming he was available) to get the nod and am just playing Devil's Advocate.

- Once it did get to the 7th with runners on base, both Duran & Lopez also allowed runners to score in their outings on Monday (ghost runners though).
- Pagan had at least been trending upward for the past few weeks
- Baldelli would have had to have Lopez warming up to go in at that juncture. If the pre game plan/spreadsheet was to have him go in the 8th only, to pivot and have him pitch in the 7th was he even warming up? I was only listening to the game, so I don't know the answer.

In the end they lost, so bad move. If this is September or October (maybe even August), I am guessing it plays out differently. In May with 118 to go, meh. On to Friday.

Ultimately, I agree with your sentiment and would have preferred Lopez (assuming he was available) to get the nod and am just playing Devil's Advocate.

- Once it did get to the 7th with runners on base, both Duran & Lopez also allowed runners to score in their outings on Monday (ghost runners though).
- Pagan had at least been trending upward for the past few weeks
- Baldelli would have had to have Lopez warming up to go in at that juncture. If the pre game plan/spreadsheet was to have him go in the 8th only, to pivot and have him pitch in the 7th was he even warming up? I was only listening to the game, so I don't know the answer.

In the end they lost, so bad move. If this is September or October (maybe even August), I am guessing it plays out differently. In May with 118 to go, meh. On to Friday.
I'm going to assume Pagan started warming up early in the 7th in case De Leon got into trouble as he was in his 2nd inning. So the plan was to take De Leon out only if he got into trouble. Therefore, I think it would have been better to bring in one of your best relievers.

Pagan has been pretty good but just feel like the situation called for your best guys.

I’m not sure that’s a great comparison.

I’m tall and when I run the little electric weed-wacker we own, I know my back needs a couple of days rest before using it again.
Does that excuse really work with the better half? This could open up all kinds of possibilities for those of us 6' or taller. I prefer to do my yardwork on the golf course rather than at home!

Don’t look at Miranda’s numbers in AAA. They are not pretty. Man for a guy that could hit he has fallen off a cliff in the last 2 months.

Don’t look at Miranda’s numbers in AAA. They are not pretty. Man for a guy that could hit he has fallen off a cliff in the last 2 months.
So far Miranda's career trajectory reminds me of Joe Charboneau.

He had a good week (month?) for the Twins if I recall correctly.
I only remember him hitting a grand slam while Marnie was interviewing his mom or something like that.

About month and a half into the season and Twins already have players on the sideline. The Vikings list would be much shorter than this by far. Is baseball that demanding on the body???

MINNESOTA TWINS INJURIES​

DATE PLAYER INJURY GAME STATUS
5/17/23 Nick Gordon 2B Shin Day-To-Day
5/17/23 Jorge Polanco 2B Hamstring Day-To-Day
5/17/23 Joey Gallo LF Leg Day-To-Day
5/16/23 Jorge Alcala P Forearm 15-Day Injured List
5/14/23 Joey Gallo LF Leg Day-To-Day
5/11/23 Max Kepler RF Hamstring 10-Day Injured List
5/5/23 Caleb Thielbar P Oblique Strain 15-Day Injured List
5/3/23 Tyler Mahle P Arm 60-Day Injured List
4/27/23 Tyler Mahle P Elbow Day-To-Day
4/26/23 Kenta Maeda P Tricep 15-Day Injured List
4/20/23 Kenta Maeda P Ankle Day-To-Day
4/12/23 Kyle Farmer 3B Face 10-Day Injured List
4/10/23 Carlos Correa SS Back Day-To-Day
4/7/23 Joey Gallo LF Side 10-Day Injured List
4/5/23 Kenta Maeda P Arm Day-To-Day
4/3/23 Max Kepler RF Knee 10-Day Injured List
3/29/23 Gilberto Celestino CF Thumb 60-Day Injured List

About month and a half into the season and Twins already have players on the sideline. The Vikings list would be much shorter than this by far. Is baseball that demanding on the body???

MINNESOTA TWINS INJURIES​

DATE PLAYER INJURY GAME STATUS
5/17/23 Nick Gordon 2B Shin Day-To-Day
5/17/23 Jorge Polanco 2B Hamstring Day-To-Day
5/17/23 Joey Gallo LF Leg Day-To-Day
5/16/23 Jorge Alcala P Forearm 15-Day Injured List
5/14/23 Joey Gallo LF Leg Day-To-Day
5/11/23 Max Kepler RF Hamstring 10-Day Injured List
5/5/23 Caleb Thielbar P Oblique Strain 15-Day Injured List
5/3/23 Tyler Mahle P Arm 60-Day Injured List
4/27/23 Tyler Mahle P Elbow Day-To-Day
4/26/23 Kenta Maeda P Tricep 15-Day Injured List
4/20/23 Kenta Maeda P Ankle Day-To-Day
4/12/23 Kyle Farmer 3B Face 10-Day Injured List
4/10/23 Carlos Correa SS Back Day-To-Day
4/7/23 Joey Gallo LF Side 10-Day Injured List
4/5/23 Kenta Maeda P Arm Day-To-Day
4/3/23 Max Kepler RF Knee 10-Day Injured List
3/29/23 Gilberto Celestino CF Thumb 60-Day Injured List

I've wondered about that as well. Seems like baseball has a lot more injuries than football, at least with the twins. And was even worse last season, twins had many more injuries than they have this season.

I've wondered about that as well. Seems like baseball has a lot more injuries than football, at least with the twins. And was even worse last season, twins had many more injuries than they have this season.
It’s that damn healthy lifestyle that players practice now. Babe Ruth lived on a steady diet of hot dogs, beer, and hookers and didn’t miss a game.

It's around baseball. I think a big part of it is the thinking now is it's better for a guy to play less games if it means they're closer to 100% in the games they can play in as opposed to playing hurt most of the season.

The NFL is different where missing games is a much bigger deal since they don't play as many. If Kirk Cousins is out for 3 weeks, you could potentially see the team go 0-3. That would be the equivalent of the Twins going 0-28. That would never happen in baseball even with multiple top players out.

It's around baseball. I think a big part of it is the thinking now is it's better for a guy to play less games if it means they're closer to 100% in the games they can play in as opposed to playing hurt most of the season.

The NFL is different where missing games is a much bigger deal since they don't play as many. If Kirk Cousins is out for 3 weeks, you could potentially see the team go 0-3. That would be the equivalent of the Twins going 0-28. That would never happen in baseball even with multiple top players out.
Very true. Last yr was just frustrating as I'm guessing we were the most injured team and the Indians had to have been the least injured. This season more reasonable so far.

Top Bottom