All Things 2023 Minnesota Timberwolves Off-Season Thread

I just saw a trade rumor:
Mn gets Siakam from Toronto along with the 13th pick for Towns. I would do that in a heartbeat.
I really like Siakam but he is two (2) years older than KAT and on an Expiring contract. That would be a huge flight risk along with a dart throw at #13 in terms of compensation.

Contracts aside, it looks good on paper but would also make it a huge priority to re-sign Reid.

C Gobert/Reid
PF Siakam/Anderson
SF McDaniels/Prince
SG Edwards/Moore (#13)
PG Conley/NAW

I really like Siakam but he is two (2) years older than KAT and on an Expiring contract. That would be a huge flight risk along with a dart throw at #13 in terms of compensation.

Contracts aside, it looks good on paper but would also make it a huge priority to re-sign Reid.

C Gobert/Reid
PF Siakam/Anderson
SF McDaniels/Prince
SG Edwards/Moore (#13)
PG Conley/NAW
McDaniels doesn't rebound. Siakam averages about 7 boards a game.

Do we have enough rebounding where we don't get killed on the boards?

C Gobert/Reid
PF Siakam/Anderson
SF McDaniels/Prince
SG Edwards/Moore (#13)
PG Conley/NAW

Reid on an appropriate long term contract and Siakam on an expiring contract makes the deal even better. That gives the Wolves a ton of flexibility to build around Ant that they don't have with Towns albatross of a deal now. With KAT already breaking down, I can see Naz playing more and putting up nearly as good of offensive numbers as KAT or better over the next 3-5 years.

C Gobert/Reid
PF Siakam/Anderson
SF McDaniels/Prince
SG Edwards/Moore (#13)
PG Conley/NAW
The assumption on my part would be Siakam signing a long term extension. Same with Reid.

I think Prince would have to be let go. Team control on the last year of his deal.

#13 might get a decent backup pg.

Let's do it..

Reid on an appropriate long term contract and Siakam on an expiring contract makes the deal even better. That gives the Wolves a ton of flexibility to build around Ant that they don't have with Towns albatross of a deal now. With KAT already breaking down, I can see Naz playing more and putting up nearly as good of offensive numbers as KAT or better over the next 3-5 years.
Given how well Reid played the 2nd half of last season before the injury, you have to be pretty excited about his potential.

The assumption on my part would be Siakam signing a long term extension. Same with Reid.

I think Prince would have to be let go. Team control on the last year of his deal.

#13 might get a decent backup pg.

Let's do it..
If Siakam can be extended without impacting the ability to hang on to McDaniel, I'm all for it. 👍

Speaking of trade rumors....

A couple of days ago I listened to the most recent Dane Moore wolves podcast. He had on two guys from Canis Hoopus to talk about the new CBA and its impact on potential wolves' moves. There are a few cold realities facing this franchise:

1. Without going into details, the new CBA is far more restrictive on trades and luxury tax rules. Matching salaries will be much harder when the new agreement starts, which I believe is a year from now. Going over the luxury tax threshold will be far more punitive as well. It will put less resource rich owners like Lore/ARod at a disadvantage.

2. KAT will be traded this summer for financial reasons. (Rudy doesn't have much market value and Ant and McDaniels are foundational.) A Siakam deal with his expiring lines up perfectly. The 2024-2025 and 2025-2026 wolves with KAT, Rudy, Ant and McDaniels on massive contracts puts the team way into the luxury tax. Owners like Ballmer, Lacob and the big market teams can live with that. Our layaway guys can't.

3. If Lore and ARod make the third payment and maintain control of the asset (remember Reggie Fowler and the Wilfs), it's hard to see how the wolves will thrive in this market under the new CBA with comparatively under resourced owners. Unless Connelly finds another Jokic or two in the second round, the wolves will have to spend well into the luxury tax to build a championship contender. Ballmer's luxury tax penalty this year was over $100M. Nothing for him. Under the new CBA, it will be worse. It's unlikely that Lore and ARod will have that kind of working capital to spend on the team, even with the new TV deal.

4. For those who dispute my premise that Lore and ARod are under capitalized, if you have the money to buy a professional sports franchise, you buy it. Now. What all of this means is Harv and Marv redux. Two guys scrambling with a big arena problem. Absent outside investors, they won't have the resources under the new CBA to build a great team and they won't have the money to contribute to a new building, which the state will require as a starting point for public funding. I'll be thrilled to be wrong, but I think the outlook for the future of our franchise in Minnesota is cloudy.

A couple of days ago I listened to the most recent Dane Moore wolves podcast. He had on two guys from Canis Hoopus to talk about the new CBA and its impact on potential wolves' moves. There are a few cold realities facing this franchise:

1. Without going into details, the new CBA is far more restrictive on trades and luxury tax rules. Matching salaries will be much harder when the new agreement starts, which I believe is a year from now. Going over the luxury tax threshold will be far more punitive as well. It will put less resource rich owners like Lore/ARod at a disadvantage.

2. KAT will be traded this summer for financial reasons. (Rudy doesn't have much market value and Ant and McDaniels are foundational.) A Siakam deal with his expiring lines up perfectly. The 2024-2025 and 2025-2026 wolves with KAT, Rudy, Ant and McDaniels on massive contracts puts the team way into the luxury tax. Owners like Ballmer, Lacob and the big market teams can live with that. Our layaway guys can't.

3. If Lore and ARod make the third payment and maintain control of the asset (remember Reggie Fowler and the Wilfs), it's hard to see how the wolves will thrive in this market under the new CBA with comparatively under resourced owners. Unless Connelly finds another Jokic or two in the second round, the wolves will have to spend well into the luxury tax to build a championship contender. Ballmer's luxury tax penalty this year was over $100M. Nothing for him. Under the new CBA, it will be worse. It's unlikely that Lore and ARod will have that kind of working capital to spend on the team, even with the new TV deal.

4. For those who dispute my premise that Lore and ARod are under capitalized, if you have the money to buy a professional sports franchise, you buy it. Now. What all of this means is Harv and Marv redux. Two guys scrambling with a big arena problem. Absent outside investors, they won't have the resources under the new CBA to build a great team and they won't have the money to contribute to a new building, which the state will require as a starting point for public funding. I'll be thrilled to be wrong, but I think the outlook for the future of our franchise in Minnesota is cloudy.
Great post. Hate to say it but the kat trade might end up being for expirings and draft picks

I agree with a lot of this except for the part where they will need to spend well over the luxury tax to be competitive.

The majority of the NBA spends under the luxury tax, only 9 were over this season and 7 last season. The Wolves had the 9th highest payroll last season, ahead of teams like Denver, Phoneix, Boston, and Miami, yet they were a play in team.

Miami is under the luxury tax this season, and Denver is 9 million over, which ranks 8th. This sounds like the baseball argument when people say only the big spenders can win, even though the Yankees haven't been to the World Series in 13 years. KC, Cleveland, and Detroit have all been in the WS more recently, with KC doing it twice and having a title.

The Wolves or any other Minnesota team is never going win a title by outspending everyone. If they can dump Towns, they will have the space to build a highly competitive team that can compete for a title and not be significantly over the tax.

The Wolves traded 10 players/draft picks for Rudy, now they say that Rudy doesn't have much market value. That is truly amazing and typical for the Wolves.

Great post. Hate to say it but the kat trade might end up being for expirings and draft picks
The problem is that the league has wised up after the Gobert, Durant, Harden and Simmons trades. I don't think a KAT trade will bring more than one unprotected 1st. (At this point I'd probably take it.)

From this week's Charley Walters Column:

— Look for the Los Angeles Lakers and New York Knicks make a push for the Timberwolves’ Anthony Edwards when he becomes a restricted free agent in 2024.

— Don’t think it’s out of the question that impending Timberwolves investors Alex Rodriguez and Marc Lore could threaten a move from Minneapolis, for either Seattle or Las Vegas or elsewhere, if they don’t get a major renovation of Target Center or a new arena, which could cost nearly $1 billion.

Overheard​

— Outspoken former Twin-Yankee Doug Mienkiewicz, on the arrogance of boyhood pal Arron Rodriguez, the Timberwolves investor, on Major League Baseball Players Alumni Association’s Legends Territory: “He’s going to die a lonely man.”

— Look for the Los Angeles Lakers and New York Knicks make a push for the Timberwolves’ Anthony Edwards when he becomes a restricted free agent in 2024.

— Don’t think it’s out of the question that impending Timberwolves investors Alex Rodriguez and Marc Lore could threaten a move from Minneapolis, for either Seattle or Las Vegas or elsewhere, if they don’t get a major renovation of Target Center or a new arena, which could cost nearly $1 billion.

Overheard​

— Outspoken former Twin-Yankee Doug Mienkiewicz, on the arrogance of boyhood pal Arron Rodriguez, the Timberwolves investor, on Major League Baseball Players Alumni Association’s Legends Territory: “He’s going to die a lonely man.”

A little birdie says teams will covet a budding superstar and owners will seek public subsidies for their arena. More stunning insight from Charley.

Last edited:

Overheard​

We will always have to worry about everything sports wise living in MN.

We will always have to worry about everything sports wise living in MN.

Good point. On the Football Board when people bring-up Lou Holtz there are always responses along the line of "Get over it! He's the only one who has ever done it!" Other Head Coaches haven't but teams and players sure have.

The Minneapolis Lakers, Minnesota Muskies, Minnesota Pipers, Minnesota North Stars and the Minnesota Kicks all left. The Minnesota Fighting Saints and the Kicks folded.

As for players? Off the top of my head Tommy Herr, Chuck Knoblach, Kevin Love, Jimmy Butler; all forced their way out. Not to mention all the major Free Agents that left. Can't think of a bunch of baseball or basketball free agents who had other options that came here. Though the Wild may have gotten some.

That's why fans are pessimistic and why "just blow it up and then fix it" hasn't worked either. If a player is drafted they are obligated to stay here for awhile. They might learn to like it or at least you got a chance to "buy" their loyalty. If they're an in demand free agent Minnesota is not gonna sign them.

That might go for football, basketball and baseball at the U too.

Last edited:

Per Shama:

Timberwolves coach Chris Finch and others with the club are planning for next season and the upcoming NBA Draft later this month. That doesn’t preclude a bit of recreational time, though. “I bought a boat last summer, so I enjoy being out there (Lake Minnetonka),” Finch told Sports Headliners recently. “I go to the Twins games. I go to the Lynx games. Spend some time downtown in the North Loop area where I live. Just kind of relaxing and enjoying the good weather. So, it’s a fun place to be right now.”

Howl Wolves!!

Per Shama:

Since the Wolves season ended in April with a first-round loss to the Nuggets rumors have persisted Towns will be traded. A two-time All-NBA player, he could potentially be traded for future first and second round draft picks and bolster Minnesota’s minimal inventory for upcoming drafts.

“We’re not looking (to trade Towns),” Taylor said. “We’re not trying to do it.”

Taylor added this regarding receptivity to a Towns trade discussion: “If somebody came…and offered you something ridiculous, but that’s not part of our plan.”

The plan, the owner said, is “basically to stay with the same guys we have.” That means keeping the “Twin Towers” of 7-foot forward-center Towns and 7-1 center Rudy Gobert, plus star shooting guard Anthony Edwards, defensive forward whiz Jaden McDaniels and veteran point guard Mike Conley.

Towns and Gobert already have deals paying them more than $30 million per season and in the near future Edwards, 21, and McDaniels, 22, will carry big price tags too. Taylor didn’t offer specifics on retaining that core of four but the subject has been addressed internally with the owner, Connelly and coach Chris Finch.

“I mean that’s one of the things we talked (about) with Tim and Chris when they were here. We’ve gone over all of that, what are our options and how we might do it and stuff like that. So, I think we’re ready.”

Taylor is transitioning from majority owner of the Wolves and Lynx to having a minority stake. New owners Mar Lore and Alex Rodriguez are expected to address the playing home of the teams, Target Center. The facility opened in 1990 and although it has since been renovated, the building will be a future issue. NBA commissioner Adam Silver has made it clear expectations are high for facilities of all 30 league teams.

“I just think that as everybody would know, that sometime in the future we as the team, or the city, are going to have to face that issue,” Taylor said.

Howl Wolves!!

"I'm pretty sure everybody else would agree as well. As the time goes on, the years go by, you look for a higher role, better situations than you were in if you've obviously outgrown them. So, I would love to stay back in Minnesota, but it's just like we got to find a position for it."

As for the money, Reid is set to make in the low to mid tens of millions, and is likely a popular candidate to receive a team's full non-taxpayer mid-level exception, which will come in around $10.5 to 11 million. The Wolves have to be mindful of their luxury tax situation, so there could be a point Reid becomes too expensive for them, should another team desire him at those numbers. But not many teams are equipped to offer Reid more than the mid-level.

"I just want to be put in the best fit," Reid said. "Obviously money plays a part, but I definitely want to be able to develop in a situation where I'm used to the best of my abilities. A place where I'm able to do things that I could do."

When asked if he felt the Wolves could use him to the best of his abilities, he said they could, and that was starting to come out prior to his injury. Reid is still in Minnesota, and has been working out since having the cast removed from his surgically-repaired wrist a few weeks ago. He feels like he made his biggest improvements in the mental side of his game, and his skills, especially offensively, are growing with each year.

Multiple times during the Zoom interview Thursday, Reid flashed a smile and laughed when talking about how badly his teammates like Edwards and McDaniels want him back. He has visions of forming a young core with them for years to come.

"It'd be crazy," Reid said. "I'm only getting closer and closer with them."

Please trade him
I really don't want them to trade him because I don't have confidence that they will get commensurate value in return. However, when he says stupid shit like that it means he's saying even stupider shit in the locker room. He's gotta go.

Oh...and they put themselves in salary cap purgatory due to a rushed Hershel Walker trade, the new CBA and under resourced quasi ownership. Even without saying stupid things, Towns is the one who's gotta go.

I really don't want them to trade him because I don't have confidence that they will get commensurate value in return. However, when he says stupid shit like that it means he's saying even stupider shit in the locker room. He's gotta go.

Oh...and they put themselves in salary cap purgatory due to a rushed Hershel Walker trade, the new CBA and under resourced quasi ownership. Even without saying stupid things, Towns is the one who's gotta go.
Yup.

You're not getting anything for Rudy.

Towns can still fetch a decent return, his salary is the lowest it's going to be, so teams can match salary easier. Towns has an inflated view of himself, meaning it's going to get ugly with him and Ant

Yup.

You're not getting anything for Rudy.

Towns can still fetch a decent return, his salary is the lowest it's going to be, so teams can match salary easier. Towns has an inflated view of himself, meaning it's going to get ugly with him and Ant
This mighta been the friction between him and buckets

Many professional athletes are divorced from reality. They have to have egos to match their talent to beat the million to one odds to get to their level. However, KAT is off the charts. He's also a huge drama queen. My guess is the immature drama queen part of it didn't play well with Jimmy.

KAT will be remembered as the top 25 player that he is. He hasn't changed the sport.

Yeah, that makes sense.

Towns is a good player. At times a very good player. Though nobody is gonna model their game after him. Think you're right about a big chunk of this being about Butler's comments. Think the rest of it is pretty explainable too. He's not a dominate player. Though maybe a lot of that is free agents do not want to be here, or stay here and that damn Wolves front office has never surrounded him by shooters! Their outside shooting sucks. That's been the Wolves main problem now and has been for years.

Towns is arguably the best 3pt shooting big man in the game. Problem is since nobody else on the team can shoot, he's easy to defend. Drop guys around him, deny him the ball and you neutralize him. Add in Finch's fixation on getting everybody back on Defense, and neither Towns or anybody else on the team can get many Offensive rebounds or second chance points. Now add in how he noticeably toned-down his complaining about the lack of foul calls against him, and yet people constantly whine that he still does, Towns frustrations are understandable.

If he reads or listens to any NBA or Wolves sites you'd get the impression that "fans" don't think he's a Top 10, 20 or even 40 NBA player but he's petulant and he's stupid.

His reaction is to try and loudly complain about how good he is. Just making everything worse. It's been a bad idea. Oh, the rest of that interview with Beverly was pretty good. While 90+% of the reaction was about ridiculing his "model their game" statement.

The Gobert/Towns experiment might be a failure but we don't know that yet. People that loudly proclaim it was are just saying the didn't pay attention to the Wolves throughout the regular season because they played what? About 21 games together?

Which nationally, and sometimes locally, is the heavy majority.

From Johnny K's column in The Atlantic. It's informative and pretty long. Here are partially his answers to 3 questions:

"Tim Connelly and Chris Finch are both on record saying they believe in their starting five and want to see it get a chance to play together next season. Trades are hard to pull off in the NBA, so most do not happen. If the Blazers do make No. 3 available and Henderson is there, they will have several strong offers coming their way. Right now, I’d be surprised if a KAT-Scoot swap is what transpires.

Your best guess: Is Towns here to start the season? How about to end it? — @TheSportsminn

As of now, yes, my best guess is that Towns is here to start next season. Towns and Gobert only played 27 games and 529 minutes together ( Edit:including playoffs)'. Right now, the Gobert trade does not look good for the Wolves. Maybe they try to start next season with the two of them healthy to see if there is a model that can improve with health and time together..

I can’t rule out a KAT trade completely at this point. But they could start the season with him on the roster and, if they don’t see the team come together as they believe it can, they could pivot by the February trade deadline, either by moving Towns or making another move.

Covering this league for as long as I have, I’ve learned to never say never. That approach applies to a KAT trade this summer. But all the rhetoric to this point has tilted toward running it back..

What’s your take on the Wolves’ locker room morale after the season? Is Rudy playing in FIBA play? What are the chances we re-sign Naz Reid and Nickeil Alexander-Walker? — @The_Barftender

Dang, Barf! Slow down. Lol. Let’s try to go rapid-fire on all three of your questions.

• The morale was good. I know a lot of people were concerned about Kyle Anderson and Gobert throwing down in a sideline huddle, but the two of them genuinely quashed that and moved on quickly. There are plenty of those confrontations that happen during a season, but they’re usually behind closed doors in practice, so they are often not seen. From my view, the team got along very well. I didn’t see any signs of real divisions in the locker room like I have in some past seasons.
  • Gobert has yet to make a public announcement on that. I am sure plenty in Wolves land hope he takes the summer off, but playing for France is always very important to him.
  • The Wolves really would love to have Reid back. Finch and Connelly have both called it a priority. The question is, will they get outbid either in dollars or playing time or both? Reid would love to stay in Minnesota. He is comfortable here, has tight relationships on the team and has respect for Finch. I don’t think his leaving is the foregone conclusion others have made it out to be. With Alexander-Walker, he’s a restricted free agent, so the odds of another team offering something the Wolves can’t match is a little lower than Reid. NAW really played well in the playoffs.."

From Johnny K's column in The Atlantic. It's informative and pretty long. Here are partially his answers to 3 questions:

"Tim Connelly and Chris Finch are both on record saying they believe in their starting five and want to see it get a chance to play together next season. Trades are hard to pull off in the NBA, so most do not happen. If the Blazers do make No. 3 available and Henderson is there, they will have several strong offers coming their way. Right now, I’d be surprised if a KAT-Scoot swap is what transpires.

Your best guess: Is Towns here to start the season? How about to end it? — @TheSportsminn

As of now, yes, my best guess is that Towns is here to start next season. Towns and Gobert only played 27 games and 529 minutes together ( Edit:including playoffs)'. Right now, the Gobert trade does not look good for the Wolves. Maybe they try to start next season with the two of them healthy to see if there is a model that can improve with health and time together..

I can’t rule out a KAT trade completely at this point. But they could start the season with him on the roster and, if they don’t see the team come together as they believe it can, they could pivot by the February trade deadline, either by moving Towns or making another move.

Covering this league for as long as I have, I’ve learned to never say never. That approach applies to a KAT trade this summer. But all the rhetoric to this point has tilted toward running it back..

What’s your take on the Wolves’ locker room morale after the season? Is Rudy playing in FIBA play? What are the chances we re-sign Naz Reid and Nickeil Alexander-Walker? — @The_Barftender

Dang, Barf! Slow down. Lol. Let’s try to go rapid-fire on all three of your questions.

• The morale was good. I know a lot of people were concerned about Kyle Anderson and Gobert throwing down in a sideline huddle, but the two of them genuinely quashed that and moved on quickly. There are plenty of those confrontations that happen during a season, but they’re usually behind closed doors in practice, so they are often not seen. From my view, the team got along very well. I didn’t see any signs of real divisions in the locker room like I have in some past seasons.
  • Gobert has yet to make a public announcement on that. I am sure plenty in Wolves land hope he takes the summer off, but playing for France is always very important to him.
  • The Wolves really would love to have Reid back. Finch and Connelly have both called it a priority. The question is, will they get outbid either in dollars or playing time or both? Reid would love to stay in Minnesota. He is comfortable here, has tight relationships on the team and has respect for Finch. I don’t think his leaving is the foregone conclusion others have made it out to be. With Alexander-Walker, he’s a restricted free agent, so the odds of another team offering something the Wolves can’t match is a little lower than Reid. NAW really played well in the playoffs.."
Thanks for posting, Ice!

Top Bottom