All Things 2023 Gophers Basketball Recruiting Thread

Gophers 7-foot target Dennis Evans sets official visit; Ben Johnson to watch him in California​

Gophers basketball coach Ben Johnson and his staff continue to make an all-out effort to land 7-foot-1 California senior Dennis Evans III, who scheduled his official visit to the U.

Evans, ranked 13th nationally by Rivals.com and 27th by 247Sports.com, will likely have Johnson and assistant Marcus Jenkins attending his practice on Wednesday at Riverside Hillcrest High.

Although no timetable for his decision is known, Evans scheduled his Gophers visit for Sept. 29. He visited TCU over the weekend. Defending national champion Kansas also has him among its invites to Midnight Madness in October.

"He's definitely considering TCU and Minnesota," Hillcrest coach H. Jackson Wood said. "I would say TCU and Minnesota are right there together up top."

Arguably the top shot blocker in the 2023 class, Evans was offered a scholarship by the Gophers, TCU, and Kansas on the same day in late May. He was named to the USA U17 World Cup team that won a gold medal this summer.

Go Gophers!!

Gophers 7-foot target Dennis Evans sets official visit; Ben Johnson to watch him in California​

Gophers basketball coach Ben Johnson and his staff continue to make an all-out effort to land 7-foot-1 California senior Dennis Evans III, who scheduled his official visit to the U.

Evans, ranked 13th nationally by Rivals.com and 27th by 247Sports.com, will likely have Johnson and assistant Marcus Jenkins attending his practice on Wednesday at Riverside Hillcrest High.

Although no timetable for his decision is known, Evans scheduled his Gophers visit for Sept. 29. He visited TCU over the weekend. Defending national champion Kansas also has him among its invites to Midnight Madness in October.
Let's go! That's homecoming weekend. Does anyone have any ins with the student section to get some Evans chants going while we are running the Boilers off the field?!

His coach saying-"excited to see what they build at Minnesota" makes this feel like kind of a done deal!!! From the looks of that picture, Evans next to the 6'4" Johnson looks to be over 7'0" to me.
I thought same thing when I read it!

Isn't he listed at 7'1... A 7-foot rim protector makes life so much easier for everyone defensively. This would be a huge get. If we get him and Thompson doesn't get more minutes than last year, I expect to see him transfer out.
If we get him, I'm hoping Thompson (and Winter) can be dynamic stretch 4's....

His coach saying-"excited to see what they build at Minnesota" makes this feel like kind of a done deal!!! From the looks of that picture, Evans next to the 6'4" Johnson looks to be over 7'0" to me.
Sorry. I’ll believe it when I see it. I’m skeptical until it’s confirmed. Call me killjoy.

I think I read that he has a visit scheduled for the first weekend in October, I could be wrong, but I would think he'd wait until after that to commit. I like our chances though!
I seem to recall September 28th. Honestly thoughit may have been his recruting theead.

I saw Jamari McDowell, who seemed to be kind of our backup plan to Taison Chatman, is now a top 50 recruit, and committed to Kansas about a week ago.

Are we done after Dennis? Barring a decommit that we fall into?

Are we done after Dennis? Barring a decommit that we fall into?
Yeah I think it's been just Winter and Evans for a little while, with maybe a smidgen of hope for Chatman. With Chatman and Winter both committed, Evans is it. I don't think we'll even seek out another big if we don't get Evans, so we should be done with fall recruiting for the fall 2023 class after Evans commits, regardless of whether it's Minnesota or TCU for him.

Yeah I think it's been just Winter and Evans for a little while, with maybe a smidgen of hope for Chatman. With Chatman and Winter both committed, Evans is it. I don't think we'll even seek out another big if we don't get Evans, so we should be done with fall recruiting for the fall 2023 class after Evans commits, regardless of whether it's Minnesota or TCU for him.
We'll get Evans then go to the transfer market for a guard in the spring.

Top Bottom